Note to New Members ×

Near Ogden/SLC March 16th/18th

st_lupo

Hope this isn't spam here but I'm always skeptical to posting in the region specific forums.

I'm going to be working in Ogden in the middle of March and will probably have some time on the 16th or 17th (or both) to go riding (hard-boots, on-piste carving).  

How are conditions now (I'll be bringing my board from Europe, it won't cost extra to take it, but is it worth the hassle)?

Where is a good place to ride that isn't too far from Ogden or SLC (I'm a solid intermediate rider and tend to like steeper blues and easier blacks)?

Does anybody from BOL have a possibilty to meet up on the slopes(would love to put some faces with names, and to learn some better technique)?

bummer....just happens to be my anniversary weekend.  I would have liked to meet you since we are like classmates and "started" at the same time.  Maybe when I go to Norway someday :)

Plenty of good slopes along the Wasatch Front including Solitude like Digger pointed out.  If you are up for an hour drive i would recommend Beaver Mountain by Logan.  Great groomers, no lift lines...just a fun place to carve.  @utahcarver rides there and another friend of mine.

Once again though....all of the choices along the Wasatch are good....well.....except  Alta :)  :)   Powder Mountain and Snow Basin are the ones near Ogden.  both are very fun.

I spent 7 winters in the mountains above Ogden. Powder Mountain and Snowbasin will keep you entertained if you don't want to travel to SLC.

Powder Mountain is more mellow with easy to moderate terrain and low crowds. The snow quality is almost always better at Powder. Many days are what I would call soft hero, however by mid March it could be more spring like conditions (this has been a backwards winter in the western US, so who knows). A couple of new lifts have been installed since I was there so I have no info on them. Otherwise the Hidden Lakes lift has several relatively mellow carving runs. Sidewinder is a fun run off the slow Timberline lift. Kwick Draw is a really fun steeper slope (but short) and Winchester is also fun off the slow Sundown lift. If it is not a carving day, there is a huge amount to explore at Powder.

Snowbasin is steeper and more crowded, with lower quality snow. What it does have is some great carving runs. Just be aware of fast skiers and intersecting trails. It can be a look over your shoulder every turn kind of place. The Wildflower Downhill off the John Paul lift is amazing (probably too steep for you). Needles run is fun, Mainstreet off the Strawberry Gondola is good. One of my favorite runs at Basin is Wildcat Bowl, but it needs quite a bit of snow for them to groom it. When it is groomed it is an awesome, long natural halfpipe.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:20 AM, Duke said:

bummer....just happens to be my anniversary weekend.  I would have liked to meet you since we are like classmates and "started" at the same time.  Maybe when I go to Norway someday :)

Plenty of good slopes along the Wasatch Front including Solitude like Digger pointed out.  If you are up for an hour drive i would recommend Beaver Mountain by Logan.  Great groomers, no lift lines...just a fun place to carve.  @utahcarver rides there and another friend of mine.

Once again though....all of the choices along the Wasatch are good....well.....except  Alta :)  :)   Powder Mountain and Snow Basin are the ones near Ogden.  both are very fun.

Yeah that would have been cool to meet up.  Might be having a couple of additional trips to Ogden coming up in about a year's time.  If you do head out thisaway make sure to drop me a line! 

On 2/27/2018 at 2:54 PM, pow4ever said:

Funny I was looking at real estate(day dreaming) near Ogden...

snowbasin and powder mountain are pretty close to Ogden.  Both are awesome for carving.

Boarderguru/Mick are local I believed.  He showed me around and I wanted to go back!!

I like Ogden, it's got a nice mix of high-desert and mountain west feel without a crazy number of people living there.   Lots of good hiking too. 

Looks like I'm probably going to head out to either Solitude or Powder Mountain.  Might try to get a second day and head to Park City,  just because (unless there is a strong argument against it).  I'll definitely post something to the UT board when I'm there.

Thanks for all of the information guys!

Let me know when you might ride PowMow. I might be able to meet up with you there.

The days you posted, the weekend, are SUPER crowded at Snowbasin. Human gates galore, and a lot of totally clueless skiers/riders.

I have a pass there and have hardly gone at all this year due to this.

Edited by boardguru
  • Thanks 1

Powder Mountain is doing an incredible job of grooming the last couple of years, lots of room here and you don't have to worry about getting run over as much as other places, come on up!  As always Buell's advice is dead on, if you need any information about this sport you won't find anyone better. Kipp

• LOL 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Deep said:

As always Buell's advice is dead on, if you need any information about this sport you won't find anyone better. Kipp

That is certainly an exaggeration! I am a bit rusty these days. Too much splitboarding the last several years. I do miss all of you at Powder Mountain though!

I was wondering, who is Mr. Deep? Changed your name. I like it.