Note to New Members ×

How many days do you carve in hardboots per year?

Jack M

How many days do you typically carve in hardboots per year?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many days do you typically carve in hardboots per year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2018 at 07:28 PM

I really hate, strong word, counting days on the mountain.  when I lived out west back in the day, people were like "i had over x amount of days this season?"  I  didn't know how to respond. I went riding when I could, especially if it was a Bluebird carving day or powder day.  It has always been quality over quantity.  Time off any board makes you appreciate it more and keeps  you engaged in a sport that gives you back that feeling that you had when you were in your twenties.

Actually, maybe the poll should be in hours, rather then days? Then one could try to estimate how many hours per day is carving and how many the rest, like all-mountain riding... 
Also, 50% of my days are only 2-4 hours total riding. I'd run a staff session or a private request, still fool around a bit on my own, then go back to the city to work or do other stuff... The blessing of a big suburban mountain :) 

Edited by BlueB

5 hours ago, MUD said:

I love this! Should we get out tape measures while were at?

My foot is 28 cm long.  That's what you're talking about, right?  ;)  

If we measured riding time in minutes/hours, I'd just be depressed.  I'm already envious looking at how many days some get to ride!  Awesome.

38 minutes ago, Erik J said:

RE: measuring days on the hill - If you've used one of the apps measuring chairlift time vs slope time it is depressingly disproportionate from my experience. Make your turns count. 

If you're carving a lot of turns you'll take the "long way" down any given run. I recently used data from my tracking app and calculated my slope ratio by dividing my vertical ridden by my distance travelled, both in metres (or feet). I whole day average around 0.18, though I had a day at Snowmass where I got into the 0.16s. Individual runs I know I've carved most of work out to about 0.18 as well.

Edited by SunSurfer
Typo

27 minutes ago, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

Yes, I deleted your post!! Watch the language.  Swearing will get the post deleted and potentially a time out followed by a ban.   In the absence of management we will continue to self regulate my friends!! Bryan 

K

On 1/31/2018 at 2:22 PM, trailertrash said:

Personally, if you are going to comment on a technique or equipment thread the forum should require you to post video or get vouched for. There's so many kooks on here spouting advice that can't find their ass with both hands on a snowboard.

OK, Lets try this again.

Dear Mr. Trailertrash, sir.

As we have been on this truly wonderful online forum for quite sometime now, this "argument" (if I may use such an egregious term), has been going on for over 15 years. As this is (per stated) forum is an online activity, you will get various opinions from individuals whose opinions hold actual value. Typically the other illustrious members of said forum do tend too, with quite accuracy, "call out" those whose opinion is in question and rectify the situation. And further more, this forum is as such stated, a forum, of which one does tend to be in reception of false or true opinions that one should take as what one has paid for them.

Please have a wonderful day and I look forward to further correspondence in the future.

• Confused 1

On 2/1/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jack Michaud said:

Sorry Bob, I was trying to differentiate for people such as myself who also spend some time in softboots riding all-mtn/powder/trees/park/etc.  Not sure how to work your style into this poll... you are special Bob!  Carve on.

No Worries Jack...I didn't vote in the Poll...my post is in reference to Carving Only, I am not interested in anything else, nor what Boots anyone else uses to Carve...you are right, I sure do feel special !  after working my ass off and then being able to retire and Surf everyday for the last 9 years... I hope all the Youngsters here get the same opportunity :biggthump

• Like 5

Well, i finally earned the "right to vote" today.  Had a long day at Mountain creek on this borrowed Donek.  It broke a 17 year hiatus from Alpine.  It felt good, real good in fact ?.   Only hard time i had was getting my boot into that rear bail on the back foot !  Tricky little piece of hardware that it is ?.

IMG_20180206_093856530.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sic t 2 said:

Only hard time i had was getting my boot into that rear bail on the back foot !  Tricky little piece of hardware that it is

Add the strap you see on ski-poles to that year toe-clip. Then you've the leverage to quickly 'snap-in', and watch the softbooters nearby be amazed!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sic t 2 said:

Well, i finally earned the "right to vote" today.  Had a long day at Mountain creek on this borrowed Donek.  It broke a 17 year hiatus from Alpine.  It felt good, real good in fact ?.   Only hard time i had was getting my boot into that rear bail on the back foot !  Tricky little piece of hardware that it is ?.

Welcome back!!! Awesome!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, trailertrash said:

There should be a "0" response.

I see a lot of guys in hard boots skidding around. They don't even try to carve.

I think they think they are carving but they aren't.

Personally, if you are going to comment on a technique or equipment thread the forum should require you to post video or get vouched for. There's so many kooks on here spouting advice that can't find their ass with both hands on a snowboard.

This guy knows how to post things! This is skeezrules!

On 08/02/2018 at 2:17 PM, sic t 2 said:

Not tricky, you're just 17 years older and less flexible. 

Options: a) PSRs strap fix b) hamstring stretches c) buy yourself a pair of Intec equipped bindings. 

Do b & c and your back will thank you.