Note to New Members ×

Longevity of Intec/Fintec cables

jl1

I found that the weak part is where the cable extends through the cut out in the plastic foot bed.  The cable eventually frays from contact with the plastic, so I took a 1" section of a drinking straw, took the handle off and slid this down the cable.  Now there is a protective sleeve keeping the cable from rubbing.

I had the heel guts (lever arm) break two weeks ago ... same end result ... I had to take foot out, use two hex wrenches (just happen to have in my pocket) to push the heel release bars in.

Now I'm back to normal binding on that foot ... because I never got around to getting the "inner arm" replacement kit.

When Fin gets the store open, I'll buy a few of those and replacement cables too.
And I need a bag of those little clips that hold the handles on ... not the handles, not the cable, just those annoying clips.

Hey gigo60

I rode for a while with an Intec rear boot and a bail binding in the front. Meant I could have several boards ready to ride at once. Intec heels work fine with the cable either on the inside or outside of the heel. I actually swapped mine around to inside for comfort reasons and haven't looked back. You may need to drill a new cable route hole on the boot heel but that's a straightforward process of mirroring the existing hole.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2018 at 4:00 PM, gigo60 said:

I had the heel guts (lever arm) break two weeks ago ... same end result ... I had to take foot out, use two hex wrenches (just happen to have in my pocket) to push the heel release bars in.

Now I'm back to normal binding on that foot ... because I never got around to getting the "inner arm" replacement kit.

When Fin gets the store open, I'll buy a few of those and replacement cables too.
And I need a bag of those little clips that hold the handles on ... not the handles, not the cable, just those annoying clips.

Why do you need a bag of clips?  Are they getting chewed up when disassembling?  They should be reusable if properly removed.  I take the shaft of a screwdriver and push it against the side of the clip where the cable is exposed.  This starts the process of pushing it out.  Many might be inclined to pry from the opposite side which will tends to mangle the plastic.   Once the piece is pushed out slightly, use the flathead tip of the screwdriver to push out even further.  Select a screwdriver with a tip that is the appropriate size.  At this point, it should be pushed out far enough that the clip can be pulled out from the other side fairly easily. 

On 06/01/2018 at 4:09 PM, SunSurfer said:

Hey gigo60

I rode for a while with an Intec rear boot and a bail binding in the front. Meant I could have several boards ready to ride at once. Intec heels work fine with the cable either on the inside or outside of the heel. I actually swapped mine around to inside for comfort reasons and haven't looked back. You may need to drill a new cable route hole on the boot heel but that's a straightforward process of mirroring the existing hole.

I have a similar setup.   The beauty with this is that you can optionally have an Intec on the front which serves as a constant backup in case of failure on the mountain.  Might come in handy when going on vacation.  You would just need a cable routing on both sides of the rear boot.   Easy swap of heels without having to mess around with cables and inner housing parts. 

I've always wondered why Intec cables and boots were designed to fit on the outside instead of the inside.   Seems like a much more natural position to  release with downward boot pressure pulling a cable positioned on the inside of the boot with the lead hand.