Note to New Members ×

Can binding angle affect setback?

lafcadio

It would appear that changes to the front binding angle could affect where the center of mass is over the board, nose to tail. For example, as the front binding angle decreases the front heel moves slightly forward towards the nose of the board.  Could this affect the ideal location (setback) of where the front binding is mounted? 

Recently, I experimented with lowering my front binding angle from 54 to 51 degrees after noticing that at 54 degrees the toes of my front foot are well inside the edge of the board.  At 51 degrees both the heel and toe of my front foot are at the edges of the board.  (For reference, I wear size 25 boots.  Board is Pure Boarding Two: 158 cm length by 22.6 cm waist.)  With this change, I discovered the following, which I did not like: 

• the board had a tendency to want to turn towards toe-side while skating one foot 
  • heel-side turns on the flats required more effort to get the board to turn

The characteristics above made me think about moving the front binding back towards the tail slightly (I'm currently 1 cm back from center inserts). Because I didn't want to spend too much time tweaking this weekend (it was crazy cold out!), I simply moved the binding angle back to 54 degrees and confirmed the above issues went away. 

Next time out, I'm going to experiment with 51 degrees on the angle again and also move the front binding a little further back. 

Has anyone experienced having to adjust the setback after tweaking the front binding angle?  Does this make any sense? 

Cheers and Happy 2018!

The results you describe seem like a logical consequence of moving your front foot toe closer to the edge (tendency to turn towards toe-side while skating), and moving to a stance where you are slightly facing more across the board than along the board (more butt out and front heel pressure to create heelside turns, and less lateral pressure used).   That, and that you haven't got used to the new position yet.