Note to New Members ×

Beginner question about groomed slopes

cin

18 minutes ago, cin said:

Any recommendations?

“I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.”

-HDT

Self preservation is important, no doubt. A large part of that is context; where you choose to go, and do, while exploring a variant of the snowboarding you already 'know'.

Thus: "Should I focus my hardbooting efforts on perfectly groomed slopes only, and swap to a softboot setup once the snow gets bad? Are there risks with hardbooting on less-than-perfect snow or are any risks only a thing at high speeds?"

Given that effective learning is marked by a never-ending series of non-fatal errors, the best thing you can do at this stage is choose terrain that prompts you to explore the possibilities of a more responsive interface, rather than one that forces you to constrain yourself so as not to fail badly. There are quite a few variables affecting degrees of success and failure. The more you control, the better the chance of a positive outcome.  So go with your intuition. If you start on the easy groom, and learn how to finesse your way from one edge to the other from a simple posture, odds are good you can then take what you've learned and apply it to the softboot gear in the harbor chop.

Dressing like someone you aren't may have you feeling awkward, or worse, 'safe', and therefore more prone to operator error. 

3 hours ago, Corey said:

If I'm trying to EC, I'm usually on a slope steep enough that it's hard to stop just by dragging body parts.  That's a pretty minor effect.  

I tend to agree with this. If you are actually EC’ing (consistently, linking multiple turns repeatedly) you’re likeley on steep enough terrain that any dragging is not going to significantly reduce speed. Anybody who has lost grip on a super steep pitch will probably agree.

Parts that drag are an incidental to the inclination (?) required to counteract/be caught by inertial forces ... they’re not load-bearing at all. If your dragging parts are significantly reducing your speed you aren’t really EC-ing and probably in danger of harming yourself. 

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

My daughter uses the girl version of this one: http://www.komperdell.com/en/protectors/men/produkt.php?id=6275_206

It's anything but bulky (which is saying something, given she weighs about 80 lbs at 5'1"). According to her it's very comfortable to wear. As you will notice, it does not have hardshell segments, but consists of a material that stiffens under impact (also popular with bikers, I'm told).

I wear an older model from the same company, which is noticeably bulkier, but still nothing to get hung up about.