Note to New Members ×

Carving a 360

Bricky

trying to catch up with me on the pointless post count? ;-)

for me the full circles are easiest on medium long boards say about a 180 cm or so

I come in at a decent speed start off in a big easy sort of turn

when I start to go back up hill I really lay into it' sometimes it works

others I just end up almost there

Originally posted by bobdea

trying to catch up with me on the pointless post count? ;-)

for me the full circles are easiest on medium long boards say about a 180 cm or so

I come in at a decent speed start off in a big easy sort of turn

when I start to go back up hill I really lay into it' sometimes it works

others I just end up almost there

I am wasted too, :)

• 1 month later...

Paul Kobbe is great at them, he seems to ride the tail of the board the last part of the arche, and he's done it on shorter boards. I've had better luck on a 170 and 180, but can never do them consistently. I' ve found that it works best on a flater trail, and laying a Eurocarve will just create to much friction and slow you down to much.

rikytheripster

I would hate to see this thread end with you asking the same unanswered question that you did the last time this issue popped up. It seems to me that everyone has a preference, but that most guys I know who can carve a circle can do it both ways. I actually prefer a heelside. A lot of my buddies prefer a toeside.

My question also still stands:

Is there anyone who has carved two circles?

I have done it on a pair of demo Volkl slalom skis but never on a board.

I've done one (cheater) heelside 360. On the last 60 deg or so, I got on the tail and hopped it around. Haven't tried any toeside.

On my completed cheater 360, I used an Oxygen Proton 149 SL, on the flat section at the end of a run with very firm snow.

When I tried 360 carves on soft snow, I washed out at the 180 deg mark.

I've also tried 360 carves on a Donek FC2 163 and Proton 164 GS.

I consistently get further around on the 360 carve attempt with the shorter slalom board.

the trails at my Mt don't get wide enough to do ma 360. i always end up going into the trees.

i did one at Jimmney but barely made it around to finish the carve.

i think i have to break out the 152 Xvas to do one ckean

Guest Tim Tuthill

Terry English!! He can do em all day long and he does not need a steep to do it. He rides a Hot Balst 168 most of the time. The next time I ride with him, I will ask about heel side?? I just don't remember??

Two 360s? That would be great - I'd love to see it.

I've done 360 degree turns on toe side and heel side, but I've found that you need just the right combination of two pitches to really do them fully - as in, keep carving when you're done.

Otherwise, it's not incredibly difficult to simply connect a single track with itself.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey, I just remembered. A figure 8 !! I have done that. It was on the last pitch on Stump Alley at Mammoth. Under the right conditions you could do a few in the same place. The problem is the traffic from above.

Guest Thomo

I can do a 360 on a pipe board wearing soft boots - toe side or heel side - it's just the diameter of the circle is about 100 ft. Does that count?:p

No figure 8 - I came in to the flat at the bottom of the slope that I was demo'ing the skis going fast. Then I let them rip. I came around quickly and went right back into the line I had just made. The second was slow and kept getting slower. I made it all the way around the second time in the first circle's tracks.

"I can do a 360 on a pipe board wearing soft boots - toe side or heel side - it's just the diameter of the circle is about 100 ft. Does that count?"

I would say so. It really does not matter what equip. you are on - that is the discussion that we had in the previous thread. Most tools with a modern sidecut will do it.