Note to New Members ×

What is your comfort Zone

lowrider

If you mean between me and other riders I want about three seconds minimum between me and the previous or next rider/skier and probably more if its a skier who's behind me because hardly any of them understand just how sharply we turn. If you mean clearance between the sides of the trail or the trees then the steeper it is the tighter I can tolerate - easier to get restarted if I have to check hard. I do like to have options, though, not just the one set of turns which will get me through a gap or sequence. This is all assuming no tree-wells and such - if those are around I want LOTS of room. Humping my way out of a well is no longer my idea of adventure...

As they suggested "it depends".

If I'm in control, then I don't need much, although I don't want to scare people, and I'm not a "lay-down" person. If I'm overtaking people from behind, I study their pattern, work out the risks, and pick my line. If I have to go close I compute what happens if they move "the wrong way", and cover that off. It nearly always works.

If it's other people riding fast, I'm not comfortable with it and won't put myself willingly in that place. I ride fast so if you catch me from behind then you're either good or dangerous. It's not always possible to assess than, so I'll generally get out of the way: I leave a large distance for people faster than me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philw said:

I ride fast so if you catch me from behind then you're either good or dangerous.

If I am making full carves, I'm still moving fast enough that not many catch up.  However, if they do it's the usual problem: if they aren't used to the movement pattern they may get surprised.  That's why I like it clear both up and down-hill, and why I check uphill as often as I can to make sure it is still OK.

If I'm cruising, I seldom get passed: it'll usually be some straight-lining idiot or a racer kid.  Either way, I look uphill if I decide to take it across in some unpredictable fashion.

If I have to pass a crowd, I usually just take it to the very edge of the run near the trees and biff along where most people aren't comfortable.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 1