Note to New Members ×

Board sizes

ITALIAN_MARC

None of the 2 is a powder specific shape... They both seem to be twin tip designs. If the "slightly longer" meant 158, then it's a negligible length difference. Use the one that has nicer flex for your taste, in pow. 

Since you are already a Ride owner, the new Timeless is one of the best soft boot boards I've tried in long time, with expected strengths for carving, pow and crud/slush busting. On the down side, the top scratches easily... but who cares about that? 

And, welcome on BOL. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

I moved my back bindings one hold back ye, my front binding can't money any further back it's at the first 4 holes. but to be honest o haven't had much experience in powder so maybe technique will come with time (well hopefully, my leg was killing after a bit lol)

Edited by ITALIAN_MARC

"Still can't get my head around the fact my go to pow board is 147cm's long. What a treat it has been trading lines with its creator Chris Christenson the last few days." - Jeremy Jones

Lifted from Facebook.  That's a guy who knows a thing or two about riding powder.

• Like 2

Yeah,  With my all Mtn. board, Swoard Dual , on Super Deep powder days, 3ft.+ I also was moving my bindings back so the nose wouldn't sink and to reduce leg muscle strain from having to lean back.  

With all the snow we have been having out here in Tahoe CA, 600+ inches so far, I got tired of moving bindings forward for groomer days and back for pow days....so  I wen't with a dedicated pow board from Moss snowsticks.............and it was a huge difference in ride and comfort. Check it out:  mosssnowstick.com 

Most every snowboard company theses days has a dedicated pow board in their catalogs......and their pow board lengths have gotten much shorter over the years.

It's the shape that is more effective in the pow than just length........and now you will see all these companies touting their "surf inspired shape"  which are short lengths like current surf board shapes 

Im currently riding a Moss Performance Quad 160cm for  pow and it does the pow and will lay down the carves.....but the point is 160cm is short for my height/weight, but it is the backset for the binding position and the shape that makes it a Renaissance shape and ride......so don't get all focused on the length = better pow board

Longer boards do work for pow but are more work when the conditions  gets all chopped up or in the trees.....and more work equals more thigh burn and shorter time before your legs give out and your done.

Have fun what ever you go with......... 

Cheers barryj probably my best option then is to get a pow board, i just read such good reviews about the Salomon ultimate ride thought that it would be take to what ever board but thinking about a dedicated pow board makes more sense. Keep my all mountain board for piste bashing and bits of park.  Thanks for the advice people

Edited by ITALIAN_MARC

Italian Marc, please consider looking for a Jones Hovercraft. It'll ride the deep+fluffy very nicely, yet let you play in-bounds with decent carving on the groomers. When my Tankers get retired, a Hovercraft will likely be the 'short-board' replacement (but, my 172 Tanker is doing rather well in it's second decade!).

Years ago people used big boards for powder, but modern designs are intended to be ridden shorter. 20 years ago I'd be riding a 168 in powder; today it's 156. Obviously some boards are designed to be ridden shorter or longer - that's a choice you need to make.

I'm not a big fan of Salomon powder boards myself. I would check out the designs and understand what they're intended to do before committing to that. It's not really about brand, it's about what their boards are intended for. To me, if it's not tapered and directional, and with minimal reverse camber, I'm probably going to hate riding it in my hard boots.  In my experience Salomon powder boards have two issues: (a) their minimum stance width can be crippling in hard boots; (b) the "twin" design means you really do want to set the stance back, which you do not typically need to do with most modern powder boards (because the reference stance is already set back). Exceptions would include the TRS boards, which I also didn't like, but for different reasons (the boards I tried were too stiff for my weight. This is a "fitting" issue as they do make 13 different sizes, I just didn't have all 13 available to me). Summary: make sure the length is correct for you.

Short boards: I've ridden all the Burton short boards in powder and not fallen for any of them. I expect it depends what you're doing and what you expect the board to do. 

The only time I'd switch up board sizes would is when there's so much snow you can't ride the steep, and penetration is a problem. That's pretty rare; a day or two a season.

So on the original question.... not really, it depends on the design. If you're finding powder a challenge then setting your stance back is a good start, although you should be riding with both legs loaded - if you have "burn" on your back leg, it's telling you that you're doing it wrong. Piste boards work in powder, but are generally harder to balance side-to-side and not as smooth to turn and brake. If you're not sure, then rent a powder board on a powder day and feel the difference. Note that the term "powder" covers everything from a bit of fluff on a hard base through to bottomless