Note to New Members ×

FA Design - now Skyline

wgarrow

An actual lifetime warranty doesn't really make sense for things that wear out.  LL Bean doesn't even do it anymore.  I've personally witnessed scumbags at the customer service desk attempting to return 20+ year old fully shagged out stuff.  In such cases the rep tried to guilt them out of it, asking if the product did not live up to reasonable expectations, and did they not get their money's worth out of it.  Another problem was employees.  Once I borrowed my friend's LLB 6 person tent for a family car camping trip.  I ripped the fly.  I took the tent to LLB to see if I could buy a new fly or have it repaired, and the rep insisted on just giving me a whole new tent.  I think it's a safe bet that tent was fixed (or not) and sold in the employee-only store for pennies on the dollar.

I had the FA precursor of what is now the Fuse 3L Jacket and it performed very well.  The fit was a little trim for me and I prefer insulated jackets so I sold that after a season and got a red FA insulated jacket which I see Skyline doesn't offer (yet?).  I used it for a season, about 60 days, and it did well and did not fade in that time.  It was nice and warm yet breathable.  However based on the other jacket I went up a size and it was a bit too big.  I sold it and got something else because by that time FA was on hiatus.  Also, I am weird and I hate hoods.  I have a prototype Super Furnace and it is crazy warm.  I see the final version has a beefier zipper and that is good because the one on the proto was small and delicate.  The "revolutionary 3D weaving process that creates seamless baffles from a single piece of material" is really something special.  No leaky stitched seams.

If an actual lifetime warranty is not possible, then put some time limits on it.  But a vague, hand-wavy, "we'll warranty it if we say so" deal doesn't appeal.

I ordered one of the FA shells a long time ago.  The fit wasn't for me, plus the hood wasn't big enough to fit over a helmet, so I sent it back to Freddy.  I expect he's got that sort of stuff ironed out by now but in the meanwhile I bought an Arc'teryx shell that I am super happy with.

• Jack M changed the title to FA Design - now Skyline

Pretty much the same, just as vague. If it’s backed up as we read the intent, great. If it’s not as a consumer you don’t have much to stand on. 

Brings to mind Bryston amps which used to have a 5 year warranty, but they would warranty anything under 20 years old if it was the product’s fault. That’s what I’d prefer to see: guaranteed warranty under X years, and after that the vague language applies. 

If anyone needs gear PM me and I can look after you. 

We have a limited edition Guide pant (200 denier ) and jacket (100 denier) that is ultra burley designed for our Heli guides that I can offer in limited supply. Its perfect for laying it out and or in and out of choppers 🙂

www.skylineouterwear.com 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:05 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Brings to mind Bryston amps which used to have a 5 year warranty, but they would warranty anything under 20 years old if it was the product’s fault. That’s what I’d prefer to see: guaranteed warranty under X years, and after that the vague language applies. 

Not sure what you mean—Bryston amps do have a 20-year warranty. Like a rock. 

On an unrelated note about ten years ago I had this Bryson 1B preamp (vintage ~1981) and sent it back to Bryston to replace a scratched-up faceplate—their tech gave it a thorough check-over and said specs were still bang on and the phono and headphone stages were works of art. They cut me a custom new steel faceplate and everything, charged me a super nominal fee. 

Still bitterly regret selling it a while later and the buyer won’t sell it back to me. Hahaha. Bryston for life. 

6 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Not sure what you mean—Bryston amps do have a 20-year warranty. Like a rock. 

On an unrelated note about ten years ago I had this Bryson 1B preamp (vintage ~1981) and sent it back to Bryston to replace a scratched-up faceplate—their tech gave it a thorough check-over and said specs were still bang on and the phono and headphone stages were works of art. They cut me a custom new steel faceplate and everything, charged me a super nominal fee. 

Still bitterly regret selling it a while later and the buyer won’t sell it back to me. Hahaha. Bryston for life. 

When I bought mine it in 1984 it was 5 but informally 20.  Later they made it official. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, Jack M said:

Also, I am weird and I hate hoods.  I have a prototype Super Furnace and it is crazy warm.  I see the final version has a beefier zipper and that is good because the one on the proto was small and delicate.  The "revolutionary 3D weaving process that creates seamless baffles from a single piece of material" is really something special.  No leaky stitched seams.

Agreed on hoods—I have never ever met a hood I liked to use. My Arc’teryx shell hood is only ever in the way. 

I was looking at the Super Furnace and thought it might actually be too warm for my lightly insulated shell. I currently use a terrible Burton AK down midlayer jacket (brutal quality, bought it on a Rockies ski trip and down feathers everywhere the minute I put it in), but I find myself working up a sweat when riding hard, don’t want to be roasting! How does it breathe? 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Agreed on hoods—I have never ever met a hood I liked to use. My Arc’teryx shell hood is only ever in the way. 

I was looking at the Super Furnace and thought it might actually be too warm for my lightly insulated shell. I currently use a terrible Burton AK down midlayer jacket (brutal quality, bought it on a Rockies ski trip and down feathers everywhere the minute I put it in), but I find myself working up a sweat when riding hard, don’t want to be roasting! How does it breathe? 

ShortcutToMoncton Thanks for the kind words on the Furnace. 

The Super furnace a huge level up in terms of how its made and insulation properties. 

The good part about Primaloft Gold Luxe is it does breath extremely well as Jack was saying but it also has a wide range for warmth.   You can wear it when its -5 to -30 and the results are almost the same. 

you can always check out the full collection at. www.skylineouterwear.com and also check instagram @skylineouterwear for more images and stories behind each product. 

Again if anyone has questions please reach out DM or send your question to the "contact us page" online 

Edited by Speed cat

On 11/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I had the same opinion on hoods and ended up buying a hooded jacket simply because at the time I could not find any jackets without hoods or with removable ones.  But I haven't found the hood on my Arc'teryx shell to be much in the way, much to my surprise.  It has however come in very handy on cold chairlift rides as it is big enough to fit nicely over my helmet.  When the wind is howling and it is -20C or worse, that hood makes the difference between riding the chair one more time or saying "f it, time to hit the lodge".

• Like 1

my only regret on the garments (not necessarily FA) is that all potential areas that suffer from the carve, are rarely protected with proper materials like ripstop or keprotec or any other abrasion resistant fabric.

Musto does pants that are with keprotec (same as thor gloves) in the knee and hip area, however they are pants dedicated to sailing not snowboarding, so they miss i.e. a snow gaiter. (https://www.marinesuperstore.com/clothing-casual/trousers-casual/musto-evo-performance-trousers-2-0)

Being a goofy  rider I always destroy my pants on the right hip and left knee.

it doesnt matter if the pants are cheap or expensive I destroy them all the same.

I would pay good money if somebody made a proper carving pant with all the key areas protected, which would last more then a season without looking like crap.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I had the same opinion on hoods and ended up buying a hooded jacket simply because at the time I could not find any jackets without hoods or with removable ones.  But I haven't found the hood on my Arc'teryx shell to be much in the way, much to my surprise.  It has however come in very handy on cold chairlift rides as it is big enough to fit nicely over my helmet.  When the wind is howling and it is -20C or worse, that hood makes the difference between riding the chair one more time or saying "f it, time to hit the lodge".

Haha, but doesn’t it get snow in it half the time?

That’s what I hate about non-removable hoods…if I’m not using it, it’s usually pretty stormy by the time I’d like to—which usually means dumping snow down my own neck! Ugh.