Note to New Members ×

Newbies in the Midwest // Spreading the Love

MNSurfer

Just something I've been kicking around. Sunday ramblings.

This season whilst at the local bump, I've had several people (both skiers and softbooters) stop me in the lot, and ask where to get gear and how to get into hardbooting/carving. I've provided some guidance, but something has been bugging me.

Back Story....

It was in 1999 that myself, along with two other suckers, started surfing the North Shore of Lake Superior. Over the next half-decade, those numbers grew to what, a dozen of us? You could show up to a spot, knowing full-well you'd have it all to yourself, or at worst sharing the peak with one or two good friends. You can't find gear in Minnesota, and knowing where and when to go was a matter of putting in you dues. Then the internet happened. Or more specifically, Facebook. Within a matter of a year or two, there would be 20 people out on a good day, where there was once 2 or 3. Now, those of us who were there first, are off looking for different spots. I've met some great people through surfing, don't get me wrong. However I always wonder what it would be like to have never given any guidance to anyone. Would we still have empty waves? Selfish, yes, but we surfers are a selfish bunch.

So getting back to the meat; How much, if any guidance to you provide those looking to get into the sport? I know it's not apples-to-apples, but I'm just curious if you'd ever worry about showing up to the hill (or mountain, for you lucky ones), and it just being carved/trenched to pieces. Or al least more than you care for.

And if you do provide some perspective to interested parties, where do you point them? I just tell them to check-out Bomber, and peruse the For Sale section. But honestly, it's a whole different world, and can be kind of confusing, as far as what gear to get, and all that (check out some of my dumb-dumb posts from years ago). At the same time, snagging used gear is really tough, let alone getting the right used gear. It's a daunting process, for sure. I find it hard to recommend buying all new gear, which would better the chance of the guy/gal getting the right tools, but at a minimum is a $2000 investment, for a sport they may not even like.

I'll be click-in in about an hour, and as much as I love carving with others (we have a great community, and I have so, so much to learn), the surfer in me wants no one else around.

-Brian

First I vet any questions - are you asking for the freak show aspect or because you're interested? Then I answer questions with enthusiasm. If they're still interested I mention Bomber. If they're still looking for more, I'll pass along my # and email. Then it's up to them. 

So far, no one has emailed or called. :shrug: I'm not going to hold their hand; they need to find their own motivation. 

Being a high school alpine snowboard racing coach, I have an entirely different perspective. I take 20-30 kids each year, up to the hill 3 days a week. Most are in softies, but the top 6-8 talented ones each year itch to get into carving with hard boots. We keep a stable of used equipment around, boots, bindings, boards, mostly purchased by me on the Bomber classifieds, and hook them up as best we can. Some really get the "bug" and begin acquiring their own gear.

I've been at this for 17 years now, dragged into it by my son when he was in high school (now 32). I like nothing better than running into one of my old protégés laying down tracks up on the mountain, and now, some of their kids too.???

• Like 2

Last year at ATC, I happened to catch the first chair one morning at Buttermilk with Cliff Ahumada "the milkman" , the surfer who started the expression sessions at Aspen back in the late '90's, along with PureCarve boards (which he was still riding).  http://snowboarding.transworld.net/photos/carvers-converge-on-aspen-for-the-pure-carve-expression-session/#2Kz7wAdEFYroskxy.97

He's no longer involved with the carving sessions, and I asked him if was kind of proud of seeing how the carving sessions have grown and continued to attract carvers from all over the world (both ATC and Pureboarding gatherings). He was kind of ambivalent, and expressed some regret at having invited the whole carving world to his quiet home turf and being invaded by 2 groups of marauding carvers every year. I definitely got a sense of that California "surfer" mentality of not wanting to share their turf (surf?).  But then he invited me to ride with him and about halfway down disappeared in a cloud of Aspen powder.

I steer people that seem truly interested toward BomberOnline for all the good info there. I used to carry Bomber cards to hand out. I've seen few folks take that next step. rwmarin has equipment to loan at Spirit and has converted only one patroler that I know of in the past 10 years (and he is still riding the borrowed equipment). We've had the same small crew of carvers at Spirit for several years. I am seeing more soft boot carvers than ever before and that might be a likely source of new hard booters. We'll see.

I've been hardboot carving for 25 years and can't think of one convert I've made. It't not for lack of trying. I'm happy to share the lift with anyone and answer all the good and dumb questions they can throw at me. I keep cards with me and generously share them too. I'm less worried about the hill becoming crowded with carvers and more concerned about keeping the few places I can buy gear open. That would really suck.

26 minutes ago, corey_dyck said:

Well said! I couldn't agree more. 

Completely agree. Also, I look for more carvers to ride with and friends to make.  I'd rather ride with carvers than have the slope piled up by side slippers. 

That being said, like most others, I've referred a few people but have not had anyone actually follow through

27 minutes ago, AcousticBoarder said:

I look for more carvers to ride with and friends to make.  I'd rather ride with carvers than have the slope piled up by side slippers. 

I agree. I usually end up riding with a former ski racer friend; we have a lot of fun making trenches together. I'm not good at keeping the speed down - most folks think I'm bored waiting for them at the bottom (they are wrong - I'm changing my tunes).

3 hours ago, bruincounselor said:

I keep cards with me and generously share them too. I'm less worried about the hill becoming crowded with carvers and more concerned about keeping the few places I can buy gear open. That would really suck.

Me too.  More often than not,  I am carving solo. Yesterday was exceptional having a crew of 4 carvers pushing the energy level into the red zone. 

Rarely do I come across anyone who is more than just curious about the hardboot setup until recently.  I was in the local mountaineering shop and saw that they are carrying split snowboards.  While checking them out,  I started up a conversation with the early twenties attendant about snowboards and he seemed surprised that an old guy knew so much about the different types of equipment.  When I told him that I ride with hardboot setup, he became really interested,  so I told him to check out Bomber. He wouldn't stop asking me questions,  so I told him that if he was seriously considering it, I have some extra gear and would take him out. It was fun to see someone so excited about the opportunity to carve in hardboot setup. He was thrilled and had a great time. Hard to say if he will be a convert,  doubtful, but it was fun for me to share the stoke with a young guy who really was excited to give it a try.

Back to the point, I don't see there being that many folks interested enough to convert to hardbooting so as to change the demographics on the hill any significant amount. And certainly want to see enough continued demand for Bomber, Donek, Coiler, etc., to  prosper. 

• Like 2