Note to New Members ×

2017 Swoard EC5 - Which Length/Flex to Buy?

barryj

OK - I just got this news yesterday via Swoard newsletter, so if you don't know,  Swoard is/has updated all 3 of it's boards and they are or will be available by Feb. 1st to order - Dual2 ready to order NOW!

Here's the beta-   Dual2 - www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12748

EC5/Extreme Carver Gen.5 - www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12756

Pro2 -  www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12817

So I have a 168 Dual that I love and thinking of moving up to the EC5.  I run TD3 SW SI on the Dual and can EC on the Dual.

My weight/height is off the  top of their wimpy European recommendation charts for my 230lbs. and 6/2 frame, but the chart max  says and they have told me directly I should be on a 175 length with XH flex.  With this rig I'd be riding the groom at Northstar, Kirkwood, Heavenly, etc... 

I was just as concerned in buying the Dual (they also recommended a Dual 175 at the time) two years ago that  175 is alot of board for our somewhat narrow/can be crowded slopes and the H or XH will be to stiff....fyi: I had a Virus UFC 168 that the stiffness killed my legs after a couple of hours   I'm thinking  EC5 in 168H....    What do the Sages say??   I would think a EC5 168H would be a different/more aggressive ride, which is what I think I want, than my 168 Dual  but tight turns like the 168 - am I missing something??

Edited by barryj

I'm 230 lbs and ride a 168xh pro. The board is very stiff but I feel just rigth on it. Will be very good on firm groom and a tad too stiff on ice. But can handle most of the condition very well. It stifness will provide more liveliness which is something I like. Can easily be ride in EC (obviously) or in freecarve style. As a very good grip, one of the best I have ever seen. Can turn ressonably short radius if you push hard on it.

Jeff

2 hours ago, Québec man said:

Not sure why the Editor is quoting Quebec man......but Jeff  how or why did you pick the 168 length?  I'm sure Swoard was pushing you, like me at our weight to go 175 length.   Compared to my Dual 168 any idea what should I expect in a EC5 in a the same 168 length........ as far as  ride difference and type of turns to expect  

I never tried a dual 168 but i'm sure you can expect a way better grip. I chose the 168 due to waist being 22cm and was fitting my boot size when setup with open binding like ec technique suggest. 175 will provide even more grip an you wont feel that much the length difference. If you go in the Quebec canada section of this forum under extreme carving session quebec 2017 at page 4 you will have a video where some of us was riging ec pro board. The condition was ice with golf ball size of ice ball. Why are you looking at the EC5 why not the EC pro??

We are 6 in quebec riding ec pro in narrow and crowded slopes and that board can easily fit those condition. No need to alway ec that board. If you are interested in these board I suggest that you contact Redia on that forum, he is the Canada rep for Swoard and will be able to help you in board selection.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking the EC5H 168 as the next logical step from the Dual 168.  The Pro seems too Elite and specific beyond my skills  

Have not had any trouble with the "grip" of the Dual....it really rails.......but the snow out here is Hero snow most of the time.......as most anybody can look good on the slopes out here as the only place you will ever find "ice" in Tahoe will be in your aspres ski cocktail!

13 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking the EC5H 168 as the next logical step from the Dual 168.  The Pro seems too Elite and specific beyond my skills  

Have not had any trouble with the "grip" of the Dual....it really rails.......but the snow out here is Hero snow most of the time.......as most anybody can look good on the slopes out here as the only place you will ever find "ice" in Tahoe will be in your aspres ski cocktail!

The pro version is not more specific and elite than the EC5. The only difference is the pro have titanal in the construction wich had smoothness and dampness in the board, better edge grip and easier to ride. Many of us have tried both and have all pick the pro version because it's a way better ride. Since you are riding in hero snow, the 175H can be a good option too. Will better hold your weigth. The 168 I have work great on hard pack and ice but in softer snow would probably be better with a 175.

Jeff

Good to know Jeff...............I would not have considered the Pro.  I thought I would like the "Pop" of the EC5 more and would have more ride options with the EC5 than just EC'ing all day long with the Pro.

The price is a little more than I want but there is a 1.1 Pro 175H on the web store for 10% off

Would the Pro 1.1  175H be any stiffer than the EC5H ??  

Heard very positive things on the Dual2 and Extremecarving gen 5. I only got to try the Pro2 and was very impressed, very very stable ride even with my questionable EC skills, and a big step over the Gen4 I remember riding (even though the Gen4 already was very easy to ride). Im 220 pds and can say I would use the M if i rode on ice most of the time, H for a mix, and XH if i was on hero snow like you, but for length considerations Id go on the extremecarving forums and ask the guys who built the boards on what you should consider.

The pro and EC5 will have the same flex. You are on the max weigth for the H and on the min for the XH. This become a question of preference. If you like stiff board go XH if you like board on softer side go H. For the length  You can ask on extrememcarving forum but at 6/2 the 175 seem to be a better option.

Jeff