Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2016/17

bobble

1/14/17

epic conditions. grippy cord. not a cloud in the sky. non-stop from 8:50am till about 12:30pm.

unfortunately nastar was going on. and then the ski jammer bus showed up. it got busy in the lift line. only had one near miss with another snowboarder.

by_mainservers1_1920.jpg

1/15/17

lotta people showed up early. i was in a line to get lift ticket.

beautiful day out. excellent snow.

tried randy's mad killer. couldn't ride it like he can. i mounted my bindings without adjusting angles. with the 18 cm waist, i had 1-1/2 inch over hang on rear boot. not that it mattered because by the time i tipped the board it had already completed the turn. guess i'm too slow for the transitions.  serious edge hold. only problem was whenever i came in to stop on either edge, it felt funny like the nose was hooking up. thing wanted to turn.

weather doesn't look good for the rest of the week.

package-sandwich.jpg

1/18/17

went out at lunch. warm. mid to upper 30's. snow was better than yesterday. 

I was watching Always Sunny last night. I don't know why but this made me laugh.

But then I shouldn't laugh... Had double vision, black eye, fat lip, loose teeth.

I went back last Sunday for ski challenge and it was a mess in the parking lot, I ended up parking on the street north of Buck. They had people kinda directing traffic but didn't look like they were really doing anything. Other times when it was that busy they helped you find and open spot, this guy was just flagging you into the parking lot. These warm days make me sad ;( 

1-22-2017

Raced tonight, snow cone like conditions, couldn't really carve. Race course was alright, I had to ski out of the curse when I got to the knoll there was a guy tha crashed next to me and was walking up the hill, I couldn't see him until I got to the knoll. Did a rerun and I didn't tripped the wand, did another rerun, got my money's worth.

• Like 1

1/29/17

snow was better than saturday. despite the sugar-like snow conditions, the snow was holding. i wasn't hitting bottom ice. the trenches were deep.

IMG_1975.JPG

on one run i blew a heel-side turn and left a deep wide trench. i was too far down the hill to bother walking up. on next trip down i side slipped over it. when i took the photo the ski instructor who shared the ride was impressed. 

IMG_1974.JPG

conditions deteriorated. switch to skis. i suck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2/18/17

went skiing. i was actually able to handle the speed going down crossroads. one run i went too fast. i accidentally unweighted on a small bump and cross the tips. my immediate thought was "oh shit, imma going to blow my knees". i started going sideways. i fell on my right hip and started to slide. the skis kept catching. eventually stopped. got up unharmed but covered in slush. lost a pole. it was way uphill and too far to walk. another skier picked it up for me. skied a few more runs and went home. felt fine.

late evening i had problems laying on my right side. hip really hurt  yay! skiing!

oh... and this happened yesterday

7 hours ago, lonbordin said:

You guys can take shifts and make it the world's first 24 hours of carving! :ices_ange

i haven't been out riding since it rained on monday. its warm. no snow on my yard. might check it out at noon today. i expect nothing but the crappiest conditions. the worst part is the neveplast mats they've placed at top/bottom of chairlift. they're not slick. boards don't slide well.

tomorrow we're expecting around 12 -18 inches of new snow.

walked down to the beach where they are having the polar plunge. the ice along the shore has melted. previous seasons they cut a hole in the ice and paraded people out onto it to do the polar plunge. the ice has softened. not sure if its safe for a line of people standing on it.

IMG_1983.thumb.JPG.8604a5504f6baf330fa0a567a9d79950.JPG

the tent is where the polar plungees go to warm up. 

• Like 1

3/1/17

got maybe an inch or more if snow. went out in softies  I expected crap.

looked like buck used a different groomer. the cord lines were very close together. the new snow filled in the spaces between ridges. they did a decent job of planing out the bumps. should've brought skis.

it would be interesting to carve on decent snow with those fine lines.

IMG_2001.thumb.JPG.26f3d72377d12e955d2d0ee23829c720.JPG  

Might be difficult to see. IMG_2005.thumb.JPG.b8d919e86322ef027fcee11f99d1f344.JPG