Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2016/17

bobble

11/25/16

warm temps, snow was spring-like conditions; soft and bumpy. there are a couple small rollers at the bottom. the base on crossroads is maybe 2 inches. i saw that someone had carved their board and penetrated all the way to the grass. saw some blades of grass poking through in a few places.

they had three runs open; crossroads, milkrun and whatever that backside run that goes down to the new terrain park.

my first run sucked. had problems with binding setup. i had thrown the bindings on the board without checking it. rear boot was canted wrong direction and the stance width was too wide. fixed it. 

went back out after adjustments. it was better but the snow was really hard to ride on edge especially in flat light. 

went inside the chalet around 10:30 am. saw the chair lift stalled a few times. didn't feel motivated to stay so i left.

12/26/16

warm temps, partly sunny sky.

at the bottom near the chalet there's mud mixed into the snow. 

IMG_1834.JPG

buck had groomed crossroads but it was maybe 4 passes down the center. on either side it was bumps. i could carve some parts at the top but from midway to bottom it was difficult to stay on edge. milkrun looked like a washboard.

the neveplast repair didn't hold up. 

IMG_1836.JPG

obligatory top of run shot.

IMG_1849.JPG

Road at Buck Friday night. Conditions were pretty good, hard packed and fast. There was spots of crunchy rough spots there were kinda icky. The snow was the best on Milk Run along the lift, the good spot gets a little skinny with the snow ridge drop off at the bottom of the run. Dunno how else to describe it. Snow seemed better on the Olympic side of cross roads.

The MK seemed to hold a good edge, better than what I was expecting at times but I haven't ridden it enough to get a good feel for it yet. My stance felt a little too wide. Only took 6 runs, I was fatigued before the bottom of my first run. I'm out of shape, maybe riding with a plate for a few years has made me soft... Wonder if I put my plate on the MK, that would probably be sacrilegious. The MK seems to have a lot of board in front of the front binding.

12/10/16

went in the morning. it was semi-crowded today. flat light with sun occasionally poking through. temp was in the teens. 

olympic, crossroads, milkrun, redtail, teachers pet and the lil jibber park have snow. olympic was off limits.

i thought the snow on crossroads was better than milkrun.

feels slow getting on/off the lift with the neveplast.  when spring snow comes along and all you have is just dirty neveplast... might be a problem.

regardless, felt good to be out. :biggthump

12/11/16

buck got about 5 inches of powder. very fine snow. temp was in the teens. maybe 15F.

i rode softies. the board was the same one i used on neveplast. i had problems with making it down to the lift from the chalet. no wax! once i got going it was all good.

the only runs not open are the terrain park and the one next to olympic. they should be open any day.

even though it was snowing, buck has the snowguns running under the main chair and aimed towards milkrun. it was nasty going through the cloud. huge rollers. stayed on skiers-left.

rode mostly on crossroads and milkrun. made a couple runs on olympic. there was still areas where powder was untracked.

had to take a break after an hour because my front foot was freezing. watched redbull videos. there is something about slo-mo hucking over trees, chill music, and golden hour sun...

12/16/16

rode in softies. it was snowing but it was very small fine flakes. the NorAm racers were carving on crossroads. probably should've gone in hardboots. but i was carving in softies so there's that.  snow was really fun. a couple inches on top.

i am really surprised that the rest of the place isn't open. there's humongous piles of snow in the terrain park. glad that they removed the rails from the backside run. its weird they have this new rope tow building but now its not used?

@bigwavedave... man, i really felt for you as you stood there monitoring the races. the wind was blowing right at you. i'd be wearing warm boots instead of those cold plastic UPZ. perhaps i should've brought you a hot beverage and lowered it down to you? seriously my ass was wet and freezing from the snow on the chairs. got to the point it was painful to sit on the chairlift. felt better once i was sitting in the bar.

On 12/15/2016 at 4:25 PM, DonPablo said:

I'm going to Star Wars Sat morning, I'll be out Sunday. I was out Tuesday for a few runs, conditions were good.

:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

:smashfrea   WTF is wrong with you?!?  :smashfrea

:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

there's like half a foot of powder in my driveway! 

12/17/16

2 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Na, this is MN, that stuff needs to get groomed 

parts of crossroads looked like they might've groomed but it was closer to the towers. 

on softies. i got there early around 8:30 AM. first run on skiers-right my board sunk beneath the snow as i was trying to go over a roller. i was stopped. snow was up past my shin. had to jump up/down to get out the snow. wish i mounted my bindings back towards the tail.

i kept riding skiers-right. it was a blast!!! the fresh snow accumulated on the uphill side of the rollers.

the ski jammers showed up. :angryfire why do they insist on standing in the middle of the best lines!?! whenever they huddled on skier-right i went down the backside run. the powder was tracked out but it was fun riding. 

i left when the lines became intolerable. they still down have the terrain park open. 

Yea, Friday night was brutal. It took forever to get warmed up when I got home. Today, not so bad. I got about 10-15 runs in between race duty. I rode mostly on the beginner hill which was ungroomed and untracked. Hardboots in walk mode on my 164 Incine put a big smile on my face:biggthump

The groom should be awesome tomorrow morning, despite being brutally cold. Chair should be going early again for the racers (8:30?).

Update: Just got a message saying races will be delayed til 10:15. Checked Buck's webpage and it says they start up at 10am tomorrow.

Edited by bigwavedave

12/18/16

Lasted more than an hour.  Racers destroyed Crossroads.  Only took one run on Crossroads  Too worried about racers warming up.

Olympic and backside run was where I spent time.

My BTS springs were making loud clicking noises. Not sure if from cold. Annoying. 

IMG_1896.PNG

12/24/16 Christmas Eve

scott, trent, myself laying sweet carves for bebe jesus. scott left around noon. trent and i made it till close at 3pm. good times.

at times it was difficult to see but occasionally it would lighten up just enough. soft snow. I was surprised to find that they groomed. think it was 34F when I got there.

there were kids that were bombing hill in "flying vee".  had to be watching out for those kids. they would catch up quickly.

... and then there were these adult first-time skiers that were "flying H" (is there such a thing?) and sometimes on one ski. there was a group of about 3-4 of them on milkrun. they wouldn't go very far as they would lose control and fall over. quite entertaining from the chair. eventually they progressed to the point where they could go almost top to bottom. when they would reach the flats they would wipe out like dead pill bugs on the snow. one adventurer managed to slide into the fence at the new lift. 

i was really surprised the ski patrol didn't talk to them.