Note to New Members ×

Zip fit anyone???

Bobby Buggs

A blown disc in my back left me with nerve damage in my right leg and significant atrophy from below my knee down into my foot. The lack of muscle and bulk especially around my ankle has me refitting boots every other year it seems. I never tried the zip fit liners and was looking for some feedback from users or x users.

Edited by Bobby Buggs

^I had a pair a long time ago, but that hardly counts given the design has changed. At that time the inner part of the liner was all leather, which skied beauty, but it was impossible to get back into the boot with a damp sock.

If your atrophy is stable, then BleuB's suggestion on the foamers might be appropriate, though they might stiffen the boot more than you like. And if memory serves, you had a bad experience with that scenario.

If the atrophy is progressing with age, then you'd want the ability to add goo, an option the zip will accommodate, at least to a reasonable extent.

Or at least they did. I think the filler remains pliable, so shouldn't affect the boot flex too much, unlike the two-part foam.

Hard saying though, as most ZipperHeads up my way buy them for status, not fit or performance, so I don't have too much beta.

^Thought not, though one never knows.

Funny thing is most of that Head/Zip/Stöckli crew can't get into or out of their boots without a hairdryer or baby dragon, complain constantly about cold feet, and don't ski any better than they ever did.

Edited by Beckmann AG
pronoun removal surgery
  • Like 1

I have a pair. Loved the fit and comfort but they made my boots stiffer than I like (I like a really soft boot). I have the Gara which is one of the stiffest in the lineup. The Classic would have been a better choice.

I took them out and put them in my soft boots (Burton Driver X), and the result was the perfect stiffness with the best fitting softboot liner I've ever experienced.

I'll probably pick up a pair of Classics for my hard boots.

Edited by skategoat

I've been using Zipfit for a couple of seasons ad really rate them. Easy to fit, plenty of  vids on YouTube. They seem stiff at first but the comfort is superb. Great advice from blueb and beckman, another idea,  although expensive,  is different shells. Find a boot with less room in the upper shell. Maybe even try a women's ski boot as their calf shape is different. Full tilt plush 4 or dalbello kryzma. Great talking point in lift queue too, when someone asks the usual why are you wearing ski boots you can inform that you are only wearing one. 

There was a pro way back in the day who rode hard on front and soft on the back, can't remember his name though. 

That they are good, best liners I have used. I like to meddle around with kit so I am always on the look out for stuff on Ebay. Was looking for Zipfits as I had heard good things. Got some, tried them, love them. I've got the Grand Prix and when they die I will be buying a new pair. 

Look around ebay/ski forums for a cheap pair to try. 

Reading up on them I think Im going to give it a try. Due to their design, if they dont work out for me they are of value to someone else since they can be remolded almost unlimited amount of times. I hope to finally end this fit issue as I love they way the UPZ boots ride and have been in enough Deeluuxx to know they are not the answer.

Edited by Bobby Buggs

Steph, Thats something I need to look into. Recent Reviews mention a neoprene toe box lined with wool. Sounds warm but I hope to check out some this weekend. I guess one of the good parts of Zipfit is I can try them in the shop for a while to see if they work with my ankle and such and if the dont I can just hand them back to the shop no harm done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎24 at 7:19 AM, Willow 15 said:

There was a pro way back in the day who rode hard on front and soft on the back, can't remember his name though. 

Dave Dowd and Dave Lemieux come to mind...

Edited by Mig

Another option is adding boot fitting foam to the outside of the liner. Generally will let you find a good mix of comfort and hold. 

One thing to check for when trying on Zips is the ankle area. There is a hard doughnut around the ankle bone, inside and outside, that hurts for some people. Makes them unwearable for me personally. 

• 1 month later...

First day yesterday on the zip fits went well. The heel hold is ridiculous and they seem like they are going to work out well for me. Im expecting they will get even better fit wise since I didnt follow the standard heat the shell procedure and just rode um. It was not a long day but I didnt have to change the buckle settings once or unbuckle due to pain.  A couple hot spots on the front/medial side of both ankles, will have to see what thats all about. Guess I just happy for get that first day under my belt and feel good the next day. :biggthump  Special surprise, bumped into Ace the Squal king for a couple turns. He kills it on that pencil !!

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Simple review,

They are a lace up, once you tighten down the laces its amazing the fit and heel hold is perfect, I didnt have cold feet, I have some hot spots on the medial side of both ankles especially my front foot. Never had to mess with my boots during the day of riding, open the buckles during lunch and closed them when I went back out. Thats the extend of fooling with my boots. Honestly Im very happy with them. Only disappointment was No one seems to have the extra tubes of goo for me to try and adjust the hot spots. Im not happy the dealer didnt have any after paying full retail.  After doing like 800 Thermofits and a few liquid foams If you are on the fence I say go for it.  

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...