Note to New Members ×

Trip to Sugarloaf winter 2017

jtslalom

I'm looking to book a trip to Sugarloaf this up and coming winter. The guys I ride with are top notch, some ex racers and the rest just rip. The two things we need is wide open steep groomers and alot of natural or cut glades. I've been told that Sugarloaf is the place for both of these. We also need some night life. Although the youngest of us is still over the hill we all like to go out at night a put a few back. Looking for comments or suggestions about sugrloaf Maine resort.

Sugarloaf is definitely the best in Maine for carving, if not the best in New England, IMO.  I'm there every weekend.  The groomers are wide and steep.  There are plenty of cut glades, and even a big "sidecountry" area (Brackett Basin).  Best time of year to hit Sugarloaf is mid February through March.  Aim for March if glades are a priority.  Maine and Massachusetts school vacation week starts Feb 20, so I'd avoid that if possible.  NH school vacation week is the following week, but not as crowded.  If you have to utilize a school vacation week, Sugarloaf will still be less crowded than the alternatives.  Nightlife is a little limited compared to say Killington or Stratton, but there's enough.  Check out The Rack, The Bag, Shipyard, and the Widowmaker (Widowmaker and Bag for apres, The Rack is just down the access road). There is a bowling alley in the valley.  The best carving is first thing in the morning of course, so it's not like you want to be partying until last call anyway. Sugarloaf is pretty far away from everywhere (minimum 4 hours from Boston), so if possible make it a 3 day weekend or more.  Midweek carving there is like being at a private club.

Did you have any specific questions?

It's big, and it's cold. Bring mittens, at least one spare beard, a tauntaun, and gutting knife ( in the event your lightsaber is in the shop, or on loan for ComicCon).

Bring rain gear. Big mountains generate their own mood-swing weather.

Sometimes the wind closes the lifts. Bring an extra ration of optimism.

If it's a good snow year, there's a lot to like. If it's a great snow year, the woods are tremendous and you won't believe you're on the east coast.

If it's a bad year, you'll leave a better rider. One way or the other.

Bring a file. From time to time the snow is harder than industrial ceramic. (Happy Tunes in the valley does a respectable grind for a fair price).

As Jack suggests, mid-late winter is best, not only because of the snow depth, but also the light. Snow lingers on account of the northern exposure, but that also means flat light and dark-by-noon in first part of the season.

In addition to the school vacations, there are other promotional 'vacation' weeks involving various Canadians, NYC firefighters, reasonably intelligent college students, and other slices of humanity. The mountain also hosts a number of high level ski races, restricting access to one or more of the classic trails.

Pay attention to the posted warning signs. They might seem funny, but there are several locations on the mountain where the exposure is significant, and poses a very real hazard when the snow, or rider skill, isn't up to spec.

If in doubt, don't. There are some seriously skilled athletes in house. Their tracks might lead you off a cliff.

In the woods, stay inside the boundary markers. Rescue is expensive and embarrassing.

If you want culture, bring yogurt.

Edited by Beckmann AG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Head to Sugarloaf from Dec 21- Dec 25 2016.  I was really looking forward to this trip(first of the season).
Condition looks awesome until yesterday(Sunday the 18;  warm/rain)...  temp plummeted so it's going to be ice rink... 
All non-groomed trail are close according to Sugarloaf web site.  Still looking forward to it but just need to "pad up" lol.
Any local can comment on what the condition would be like?

Thanks for the tips!!

King's landing (SuperQuad)
HB == Hay Burner (SuperQuad)
Tote Road (Skyline)
Sluice (Skyline)

First day of the season for me today was very interesting...
Like all previous year:  falling all over the place make hardbooter every where look bad.  <insert badge of shame here>
Unlike previous year:  Where the first few day made me feel like I am relearning everything from scratch.  Skate boarding in the off season definitely help.  I have toe/heel side turn; however I can't seems to link turn.  A complete different set of problem...  problem none the less.  This is normal for me; does any one else have a "long ramp up time"?

It's to the bunny slope for me :-( to work out the kink.
i wrote down/took picture of my setup at the end of last season where I feel like i am doing pretty well.  However now it just doesn't feel right.

Unfortunately doctor is not in.

PSA:  I think most are smarter than me:
Lots of clydesdale class rider have downgrade to Pony level (due to weight loss) this year.
I lost about 30+lb since last season due to taking up running as "form of mental recreation".
The volume of my calves have shrink.  Readjust the boot and add the cuff spoiler back seems to be the trick.
I have graduated from bunny slope once again.  However i was getting too cocky:  now i am nursing a fat lip, a shiner and busted shoulder.
Will be out again for sure but the mental game have take 2 steps back....

Edited by pow4ever
missing words

Thank you Sugarloaf!!  It's a great trip.
Meet and ride with Libby for a few run and get to chat with Jack.
Didn't get to ride with John but I did took his recommendation to heart and it's on point!!

Worked on loads of drills and imprinting those muscle memory.  2016/2017 winter is off to a good start for me :-)
I feel like I can call myself a carver again lol.