Note to New Members ×

Solar board waxing

John E

Tried my procedure this weekend to wax my boards: I got out 6 of them, laid them out in the driveway in the sun (base up). I let them warm up & then rubbed on some wax. I let this sit a bit more & then moved them to the shade to cool. This works out very well. I uses little wax, creates a thin, uniform coating and seems to impregnate the wax into the base better than an iron. 

However, what I also found is that it works great for boards with a black base, pretty well for boards with other colored bases and almost not at all for boards with white bases. In fact, one board has a light blue base with white lettering. The wax melted well in the blue sections and clumped up in the white areas. 

Try it out. Let me know what you think.

No technical bulletin referred to on this but as a rule black is usually most resistant. This is due mostly to the fact

carbon is used to tint it black. Lighter colors more susceptible unless specifically treated. You would need to track

down specific manufacturer to know exact specs.