Note to New Members ×

I need to borrow a MADD 158

workshop7

Does anyone have an original MADD 158 that I can borrow for the next few weeks? I live near Manchester, NH. If you have one that you trust to have in my possession and you live within 2-3 hours, please let me know. I won't be riding it. It will just sit on my dining room table as a reference. I would like to participate in the Donek artwork contest and having an original 158 in front of me would help for what I have in mind.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by workshop7

You know they are a much sought after prized possession right?   The originals are quite expensive.   I waited years to finally ad one to the collection.  Jack snagged that one from Fin right in front of me , so to speak.   Fin had mentioned it was for sale , however he stated he would need to give Jack the option first.   He wisely jumped on the opportunity.  (hope I got the story straight) Once again the original Madd 158cm had escaped my grasp!!   When folks reach for mine I have to quickly decide if they are properly schooled in the handling of rare snowboards or not.   I often interject , just to be sure they don't spin it on it's tail or some such snowboard handling travesty.   I am afraid I would probably not loan it to my  riding friends  (except a few , Tinkler,  Ed, Jim, Dan)  let alone someone I just met.  Not that you don't qualify as a person of impeccable taste and great board handling skills, I just thought I would suggest that this is a special board in our world.   Bryan  

PS> Thanks for the great side by side photo Jack!!!   Well done as usual!!   Love the TI plates and honor the decision to leave the stickers "as is" ,   Great provenance 

• Like 1

Definitely noticed that differential.    Nice of you to line the tails up so precisely!!!   

As much as I would like to someday, I have not ridden anything shorter than 176cm in years!!! Up until last year it was no less than 185cm!!!   I would likely end up on my nose!!

Ah, good to see this Madd 158 being revived from the dead.

I had an opportunity to borrow Fin's original Madd 158. I can't describe how insanely fast it is as well as being acutely aware of how fragile they are. So I rode it real carefully.

So, pray tell... are you telling me that Jack bought the board from Fin, Bryan? If so, gawrsh, I'm so jelly. 

• Like 1

Ah, good to see this Madd 158 being revived from the dead.

I had an opportunity to borrow Fin's original Madd 158. I can't describe how insanely fast it is as well as being acutely aware of how fragile they are. So I rode it real carefully.

So, pray tell... are you telling me that Jack bought the board from Fin, Bryan? If so, gawrsh, I'm so jelly. 

Hi Lee, Jack got Fin's 158cm.   I did fortunately find another one later on. 

"Steelies on a sports car" are just a cost effective way to achieve a function. The snowboard analog would just be a plain black board.

Someone (?) at MADD worked on that graphic. I find it hard to believe that even they thought that it was attractive at the time. They put it out there on a board that by most accounts is a great board. The MADD cult adopted it and embraced the graphic in spite of (or because) it was so ugly. I've never understood this aspect of humanity. Like an attractive woman getting getting a big, ugly tattoo. However, when one realizes just how ugly the board is, you can just quit riding it. Not so with the tattoo.

The only thing close to this ugly are some of the recent Icelantic ski graphics. They are hideous. I've often wondered if the MADD graphics guy migrated to Icelantic.

An co-worked used to ride KTM motorcycles. In the early 90's they were pink. His explanation was that you could always pick out a KTM because no other manufacturer would paint their bikes this color.