Note to New Members ×

Heat molding a Deeluxe 131 or 141 liner for more length and toe room?

1xsculler

Since my foot measures 28 cm I believe I should try to make a 28 Deeluxe 325 shell work as I have about 1.5 cm between my bare heel and the inside of the boot with my toes touching the front.  The problem is that both MP 28, 131 and 141 liners absolutely kill my toes when in the 28 shell,  I haven't heat molded either one yet and I'm hesitant to do so from hearing so many horror stories from people on this website when they were told that the boot would fit fine after heat molding only end up with painful feet..  The UPZ RC 10, 28 - 28.5 shell with their Flo liners also killed my toes.  I do not have a wide foot, a high volume foot or weird toes.

Trying the boots on using a foot bed makes everything tighter yet.

It seems I would have to use a fairly rigid toe cap when heat moulding in hopes that it would thin the toe portion of the liner to give me more room.

What do you think? 

An unmolded liner is a great torture device for most people.

My toes really don't like hitting anything, so i try to make an oversized toe box. I bought some wetsuit/paddling socks to make toe caps. Cut out the obvious part, but then also an extra strip that is long enough to double up between your big toe and 2nd toe. Then a strip that goes all the way around the outer perimeter of your toes for extra length.

Scotch tape those strips to your foot first, then the toe cap, footbeds, and then the sock. Confirm that it all fits in the shell with your foot, then mold away.

A 1.5 cm gap between shell and bare heel seems like much too much. I have 1/3 of this. If your boots are too big your feet will slide forward and your toes will bang against the front of the boot.

Edited by nigelc

This is exactly the same scenario that I faced.  I have a 9 1/2 US shoe size  D width and am using a 26.5 boot.  I had the option of using different thermoflex liners that I've picked up from Play it again sports out of snowboard soft boots.  Chose the thinnest one.  I cut the toes off of 3 fairly heavy socks at the middle of the ball of the foot.  I then put on a medium weight ski sock and taped the 3 sock toes to the sock, so they were in the right position and wouldn't shift during the molding process.  That effectively  thinned out the front of the thermoflex and allowed a perfect boot fit.  I have plenty of room in the toe box and never hit the front, unless I release the buckles and walk.

On a side note, when the thermoflex liner wrapped around the front, the sewed seam fell right on my ankle.  I cut a half moon section out of the liner where my ankle bone was, used a blanket stitch to reseal the liner, and it worked perfectly.

I'd be glad to give you a step by step if you PM me.