Note to New Members ×

Butt Furr

pmorita

If anyone was around in the 80s there was a company called Butt Furr that made shorts out of the same material as bath matts or shag rugs that was intended to keep you warm on the chairlift or after a surf session.  If you were at Surf Expo in Atlantic City around 85 you would have seen them as they were the talk of the show. They disappeared after one year (shocking) but are now back, but only making a shorts and bikinis out of velour or velvet.  

http://www.buttfurr.com/

Not nearly as wild as the original.  I bought up all their early samples but they are all size small.  The originals had a rubber backing so they were waterproof.  I was at Stratton in the rain last week and watching all the racer kids in their skin suits wearing expensive Spyder shorts to stay warm and dry.  I think we need to bring back the original butt furr idea for rainy/snowy days or just to make a fashion statement.  

So the question is, does anyone know where to get something similar to faux furr or bath mat shorts that are waterproof?  Even better, does anyone want to go in on my million dollar idea?  Here is the closest thing I could find on Etsy from Latvia.  $75 

il_570xN.902463154_6ep0.jpg

I may be missing something, but I've spent a lot of money trying to get rid of butt fur.

Too much information Lordmetroland.......

I've often wanted a simple pair of fleece shorts for riding the lift on cooler days. I generally have nothing but Patagonia lightweight bottoms and a pair of uninsulated "waterproof" pants unless it's really cold (and it does get really cold here in the Midwest). Something like a 200 wt fleece with a waterproof membrane for the back and lighter weight in the front would be the bees knees. Uninsulated lifts can be a drag but I'm not interested in wearing a rug either.

Edited by bruincounselor

FYI, these Spyder shorts list of $160.  I think a rug would be great.

151541_black_2.jpg?w=320

I went searching for a name other than butt furr and everything is taken.  Bear Butt, Fanny Fur, Beaver Bum.

If you are not going to be an early adopter, maybe contribute a name?  

Hey Bomber, want a new product line? 

Think of the unique ice dingleberries you'd get with these!  I'm picturing a mat of pink fur frozen to a chair pad.  

I would wear those as a joke, which means they'd have to be cheap as I wouldn't use them daily.  Why not just make a simpler/cheaper version of the Spider ones?  

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the dialog on Butt Furr!  FYI - The Butt Furr Company was established in 1989 and is still in business today.  The company is named after its original and signature product, “The Most Comfortable Shorts on Earth!”  The famous, Furr for your Butt!

Since the original "Classic" long pile shaggy furr shorts that PMORITA references Butt Furr has produced 8 different versions of fake furr shorts. Each new version has been an improvement on the prior edition.   Butt Furr has done extensive R&D with textile mills worldwide to improve upon the functionality and versatility of pile fabrics.  In 1997 Butt Furr invented and introduced its proprietary fabric Microfurr. Microfurr is a trademarked fabric that is milled to defined specifications and is not available for purchase on the open market. Currently no other apparel brands offer products made from this fabric. It is the most luxurious technical fabric available today and has superior visual, tactile, and performance characteristics. Microfurr offers the highest standard in comfort while maintaining excellent wear resistant durability.  

In 2002 Butt Furr shorts were selected as the Official Shorts of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Teams for the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City and FIS World Cup. Today skiers and boarders continue to wear our shorts over their pants to provide added water resistance and warmth; but in addition, our current version (240 weight Microfurr) is suitable for year round wear and made for the demands of the active lifestyle.    

Our newest model of Butt Furr shorts are unlike anything currently available on the market and really need to be seen and felt. They are supremely versatile and ideal for sports activities but also make the ultimate afterwear, loungewear or anytime comfort is the mandate. Butt Furr shorts now come in 10 sizes and 40 different colors! Butt Furr creates an atmosphere of fun and a feeling of levity.  Laughter, joy, and excitement, are typical reactions. There is nothing like seeing people overcome emotionally by Butt Furr and it is the foundation for our company slogan “Realize The Power Of The Furr!”   Please be our guest to try them for yourself; use coupon code FURR upon checkout at our website http://buttfurr.com to receive a 20% discount on your purchase.  Thank you Furr your interest! 

post-305342-0-37894900-1456272510_thumb.

post-305342-0-26394100-1456272511_thumb.