Note to New Members ×

Advice on widening heel area of boot

Colozeus

Hello,

I have a pair of deeluxe track 325 boots. And i have an issue where the heels of the boots are just way too tight. To the point that after about 1.5 hours i have to take a break due to some pretty bad pain. Specifically, it squeezes my heel just above the bottom of my foot. It's worse on my right foot.

I have had these boots heat molded and i also have footbeds for them. (They were molded with the footbed inside)

To me it looks like the liner is just waaaaaay to thick in that area. Any suggestions on how to either really pack out the liner in that area or stretch the shell? I'm using thermoflex liners (came with the boots)

Or is there another liner that isn't as thick? I do wear pretty thin ski socks with these. 

These boots are relatively new. Have only worn them about 5-6 times now so i understand they will pack out some more, but it shouldn't hurt this much, even without buckling down tight. 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Hello,

I have a pair of deeluxe track 325 boots. And i have an issue where the heels of the boots are just way too tight. To the point that after about 1.5 hours i have to take a break due to some pretty bad pain. Specifically, it squeezes my heel just above the bottom of my foot. It's worse on my right foot.

I have had these boots heat molded and i also have footbeds for them. (They were molded with the footbed inside)

To me it looks like the liner is just waaaaaay to thick in that area. Any suggestions on how to either really pack out the liner in that area or stretch the shell? I'm using thermoflex liners (came with the boots)

Or is there another liner that isn't as thick? I do wear pretty thin ski socks with these. 

These boots are relatively new. Have only worn them about 5-6 times now so i understand they will pack out some more, but it shouldn't hurt this much, even without buckling down tight. 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Do you not have a heat moldable liner? If not: get a heat moldable liner and have it molded to your foot by a competent bootfitter. Sorry if this is an obvious answer but it seems like that might be the case.

The power wraps are my third (and were going to be my final) try at getting my 325's to work for me. Replaced stock liners with the red intuitions (DCL131's-??? I think) which were fine at first but they packed out within 2 seasons. Always felt like there was too much material around the heel (I guess to combat heel lift) and were quite uncomfortable. I couldn't do a whole day in them with the red intuitions.

Since I got the power wraps and had them molded I'm able to wear them all day no problem. I've had no work on the shell done whatsoever- just heat molding the liner.

There's enough room in the heel pocket of a DeeLuxe to squeak a grapefruit through customs, so you probably need to properly re-mold the liner(s).  On the off chance your heel bone is, in fact, 'citroid', you can either thin out the liner foam by careful grinding, or engage a boot fitter to punch the plastic.

Worth noting that all 'heat moldable' liners are not heat moldable to the same extent. 

Edited by Beckmann AG

I ordered the intuitions. At the end of the session today, i had the guy at the shop heat up the liners for me for about 10 or so minutes, and he gave me some of those j shaped pads to wear inside my socks. Slipped into my boots and really buckled them down and had a board under my toes. after 10 painful minutes, took them off. I'll see if they are better tomorrow. My boots did feel a little better today, but i think i was just ignoring the constant pain. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the boot fitter (great guy and really seems to know what he's doing) 3x with/without footbeds, punched out the heel a bit, etc. and I can't seem to get rid of the pain.  I've also been going to a PT to work on foot, joint, calf mobility and there's been some improvement to other minor fit issues but I've never felt this kind of heel pain from a hard boot.  Did the person NHRider that purchased the intuitions have the 325's with the dc131's?  Been a rough year of riding so far.  Moments of confidence and comfort but this pain is crazy.

I purchased the 325's used on eBay. They came with non moldable liners very similar to the liners from the SB314s the new boots replaced. I don't think they were the stock liners and they were horrible. I bought the 131's and had them fitted which worked well for a couple of seasons. Now Im using the intuition power wraps and like them a lot. They are quite stiff and hard/seem like they have very little volume (if that makes sense)

So the intuitions that i got did not help much. Even after molding. What did help a lot, was remolding the stock liners that came with the boots. I used the Oven method that has been circulated around here. The lines expanded quite a bit after 10 minutes in the oven and had a very squishy consistency. I slid some of those heel J shaped pads on my right heel, and proceeded with the boot fitting process. And now i can actually stand being in my boots for more than 5 minutes. They still get a little painful after a few hours, but at least i can stand it. 

• Like 1

Hope to try the J-shaped pads this weekend you mentioned.  I can stand in my boots w/o pain at the boot fitter, but after 90-120 minutes of riding it's unbearable.  One weekend after 6 hours I was nearly in tears from the throbbing while on the lift at my heel.  Hopefully a few more molds and punching out the heel will take care of this.  Heading to Steamboat in March....any good guys out there that fit boots?

What the ever lovin' F??? When I put on a Deluxe or Raichle the heel feels like I'm standing in an empty shoebox and the toe feels like it's in a vise. Do your feet look like the head of a splitting maul? Are you sure the pain is being caused by the heel being squeezed and not a lack of support? ...or something else?

Good question dingbat :)  I have been going to a highly respected PT and have been put through excruciating pain to improve my foot bones, joints, ligaments, strength, etc.  I do have high arches and a lot of foot issues.  Non so far seem to be related to the heel pain when riding the boot.  Hopefully I can figure it out as riding in pain is no fun.  After 26+ years in hard boots I'd hate to go back to a soft set up.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll be honest I've changed some things this year.  I went from toe lift/inward cant(front foot) and heel lift/no cant(rear foot) with the td3 to flat on front/back foot with the TD3SW.  I've had 2 pairs of Raichle/Deeluxe boots (loved), several pair of Burton's (hated), and Head Stratos Pro (no longer fit but liked a lot).  I replaced the recent Heads with the Deluxe 325 after a new set of liners failed to improve the heads (wasted money there :( ).  I've had a respected boot fitter in Milwaukee fit my boots 3x (not including the attempts with the heads) and am going to go back as time permits to have the heel pocket pushed out more.  I don't think there's any issue with the intec cable.  I think it's just an issue with the liner heel pocket and my heel.  It's only on the rear foot (have improved/eliminated the heel lift issue from early on).  I get the sense though if my front foot was doing the amount of my rear was doing the pain would be there too.  I'm open to any suggestions at this point.  Colorado vacation is coming up in a 7 weeks and don't want to be miserable with family and friends.

Carp, i willing to bet that your boot fitter is not letting the liners heat up properly. I realized, after i molded the liners on my own, that the original fitter i took this too did not let them heat up enough. I know this, because when i followed the oven method, the liners expanded a lot and "unwrapped" themselves. If done properly, the liners should feel very squishy, or like fake breasts. Try the oven method yourself after getting some jpads. 

I can stand in my boots w/o pain at the boot fitter, but after 90-120 minutes of riding it's unbearable.
I'll be honest I've changed some things this year.  I went from toe lift/inward cant(front foot) and heel lift/no cant(rear foot) with the td3 to flat on front/back foot with the TD3SW.

If you didn't have this issue with your old binding setup (?) then you might want to go back to that as a start point.

Unless you're riding fairly low binding angles (?) riding flat/flat may be the greater part of your problem.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Yesterday was my first day on new Deeluxe Track 7's with a stock thermoflex liner. Previous night, liners on the stacks for 7 mins, toe caps, molding, buckling, waiting, yadayada. The heel cup in the new liner is significantly tighter than the deeluxe speed(which I have been using), 131,141 etc. My experience yesterday was that my rear foot was in much more pronounced discomfort in the heel...residual pain today. Front foot, no heel pain. But my toes were frozen in both boots like they had never been in my previous usage of deeluxe speed liners in old track 7's. It was 15F so not cold by Sugarloaf standards. Never enjoyed the feel of Intuition power wraps in old tracks so removed those from the equation. After thawing toes over bloodies at Bullwinkles, placing liners in front of Rinnai blast furnace for 30 minutes, felt great again. But the rear heel cup still bothered me. I anticipated the "new" factor and my expectations were low.Tolerable but not like what I've been used to which is keeping buckles cinched all day, no discomfort, no pain and could keep them on all day. Going to run a new pair of Speeds that I had waiting in the new Track 7's and see what happens. Initial experience is that not a huge fan of the liner that came stock but not really surprised either.

• Like 1