Note to New Members ×

powder with dynastar 3800

Surf Quebec

This year i'd like to try a powder trip.

I have a dynastar 3800 163 and I weight 165 pounds, I've used the board in soft snow, 4~5 inches. Where I'm going there is at least 12 inches of pow, will that be good?

Planning to use my UPZ boots and old Blax bindings.

That board is crap for powder, I'll take it off your hands so you don't make the mistake of ever using.  Please send me an address so I can send a prepaid box for that horrible horrible snowboard.

Seriously, you will be fine if you follow what Boris suggested.  One thing I noticed about my setup in about 24-30 inches of powder is that If you start sinking, then you need to lighten the load, go faster, or do both.  I ride my 3800 with Burton Diodes as this is considerably lighter and easier to carry on my back when hiking a ridge for some in-resort powder lines.

Edited by breeseomatic

Sinking isn't a problem really - don't look at the board. Modern boards don't necessarily ride high, eg the Fish. If penetration  is a problem (you're going straight down and don't have enough speed to turn), then you need to find a steeper slope (if the conditions are safe), or switch up to a bigger board. Days when that happens are fairly rare in the real world, and the snow consolidates fast.

You can ride plates on the Dynastars, but they do break easily with the load.  I broke two 4807's in hard boots by snapping them in front of the front binding.  That said, they were fun decks.  Not as much fun as Donek's Nomad, however.

I broke two 4807's in hard boots by snapping them in front of the front binding.

One need only search the Tanker threads to learn you may be the Angel of Hardbooting Death (I mean this in the most complimentary way). For mere mortals, is there real risk of breaking the 3800 in plates on soft snow?

I have ridden my 3800 with plates, both bomber TD3 and Burton Race.  In soft deep snow, there's not enough edge hold to do enough damage, unless you rode off a cliff and had a bad landing.  In wet Sierra cement, you could run into issues, during springtime when we get mashed potato snow you could fold the nose, but you'd have to be doing something ridiculous.  I can't imagine anyone confusing the 3800 for a stiff slalom board and burrying the nose in the first carve.

Edited by breeseomatic