Note to New Members ×

Hard boots in ski bindings?

Mucknbullets

So following on from my off to Germany to get boots fitted thread (fly out Friday 13th. Yeah Great!) I was just wondering if hard snowboard boots will fit ski bindings? Lots of questions on ski boots into HB snowboard bindings but I am looking at Intec heels on Deeluxe boots into skis. Now I know the flex etc will be wrong (like I'll ruddy notice) but rest of family are currently beginner skiers so if we get to book a week away in February then it might make it easier for me to ski in the afternoons.

Can't believe how far skis have moved in 25 years (yeah ok stop laughing). It was nearly easy to ski which is pretty impressive as I swore I would never ride 2 planks again. Even managed to skate slightly on the flat on my 165s. I'm sorry 165s? I'm 5ft 9 and fat and used to ride 180s when I was 16. Now 42 and you give me 165s? Seemed to work and herring boning on alpine skis has never been easier. :)

Back to original question, will Deeluxe boots fit ski bindings?

Cheers

Ade

No. They do not have DIN standard toe or heel dimensions. UPZ sells DIN toe and heel pieces that can be fit to some models, and Raichle/ Deeluxe have offered ski boots based on the SB molds (Icelantic is the latest to offer these), but you can not mount current alpine snowboard or Intec equiped boots in DIN alpine ski bindings.

You actually can get into ski bindings in BH. You'll have to close the rear binding by hand.

Other then that, get some Dalbello CRX or CarveX or Krypton or Full tilt ski boots or just about any AT boots and you can snoeboard and ski in the same.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Toe height may not allow your boots to interface properly with ski bindings, it actually depends on bindings. If ski bindings allow height adjustment in the front, you should be able to make it work. Other than that, you would have to lock the rear binding manually as BlueB said.

+1 on that. If you really feel you are better off on two planks, take skiboards (Snowblades or similar) with bail bindings. Your hardboots will fit right in without any safety issues.

Apart from the minor safety issues of massive knee tweakery and tib/fib breaks just above the cuff of the boots, of course.

I would have expected the danger level to depend on the lenght of the skiboards in question. I have only ever used quite short ones - less than 100 cm, if memory serves. I wouldn't have thought those could have sheared of my lower leg bones, but live and learn it is ...

DIN soles are generally much longer than snowboard specific boots, requiring steeper angles to not have toe overhang, especially with 19cm or narrower boards. 

Some companies (Catek and Phiokka come to mind) did make DIN sole specific bails. Most of the bindings I have tried will still work with ski boots, but the both bails angle further out from center to account for the lower/ longer ledge.

Edited by Mr.E

Also- the DIN skid plates are not needed as our bindings don't have a lateral release. This allows the soles to be quite different- more rubber, etc. This is generally reflected in the smaller/ less rubberized foot boards in snowboard boots, too.

Skiboards/blade injuries are related to the deepish sidecut, generally stiff flex per length, and the part where most users find their 'balance' point somewhere back of center.

When operations go pear-shaped,  there's no mains disconnect, and things go crackle.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Skiboards/blade injuries are related to the deepish sidecut, generally stiff flex per length, and the part where most users find their 'balance' point somewhere back of center.

When operations go pear-shaped,  there's no mains disconnect, and things go crackle.

My wife has some Elan Razor snowblades.  I've done a few runs with them in my UPZ boots, I can't believe how tight they turn!  The sidecut looks like it's a 4m radius or something silly like that.  They're a lot more fun than I expected.  She prefers them to her skis (she likes slower speeds) but I'm trying to convince her that releasable bindings are worth it.  

^Atomic had the Figl ski, and Kneissel had the Big Foot, both of which 'skied' a lot like an actual ski, without the silliness and social stigma of the snowblade.  

If you come across a good set, they'd be worth having.  They were a good learning/teaching tool, and phenomenal for skiing otherwise impenetrable woods.  Originally designed as a lightweight means of rapid descent while winter alpine hiking.

Originally designed as a lightweight means of rapid descent while winter alpine hiking.

Useless knowledge ahead: "Figl" was originally short for "firngleiter" - "firn glider", where "firn" is the type of snow you get early in the day in late winter, better than any groomer.