Note to New Members ×

New ways to wax board

Ernie00

I went to the board shop today and the owner was showing me how they were waxing their board. I'm just trying to find if this is a good way to do it.

1: Take the wax bar and rub it against the board everywhere.

2: Take a Rag (We call them chiffon J in french) put it on the board and put your iron on top of it. Go over the board like you would do normaly.

3: It will leave a tiny film of wax that a scraper and take the excess out. Almost no excess. With a bar of wax you can do a whole season easy.

It takes vitrually no wax, very little loss.

Anyone can validate this? Is this a good way to wax the board?

Thanks

Ernie

Frugal New-Englander that I am, I also 'crayon' the wax on to the base of the board, and then iron with my regular waxing iron. It seems to provide enough wax to penetrate the base, but limits excess, and waste.

I've never heard of the <I>chiffon J</I> method before. What's the benefit of using the rag?

Thanks,

COLDrider

Yes, way less waste when you rub the wax on like a crayon. Occasionally touch wax to a warm iron then start rubbing again. No need to drip puddles of wax only to scrape it off.

Don't know what the rag is for though. (chiffon j) Is that a Jcloth? I would think that using the cloth would result in some wasted wax. Lose the cloth if conserving wax is your main concern. Unless somebody else can explain the Jcloth.

used to use this stuff that looked like dryer sheets

I think it was to remove dirt kinda like a warm scrape without the extra work

also from my common sense speaking but this is only a theory I came up with just now

a fabric might be good because of the added surface area and help to saturate the base a little better

I have not tried this method but I believe this is what is being referred to.

http://www.tognar.com/waxtools.html#WAXPAPER

TOKO BASE TEX

This special non-woven paper is similar to Swix Fiberlene.It absorbs base cleaning solvent and old wax when cleaning. A sheet can also be placed between your iron and p-tex base when hot waxing to better distribute wax, leave a thinner wax layer that requires less scraping, and pick up any dirt from your iron, base material or bar of wax in the process for faster glide. Sold in a roll 10" wide x 33yd long.

Item #TOK-9848 Toko Base Tex Paper

SWIX HOT WAXING PAPER

Use a sheet of this lint-free absorbent paper between your iron and the ski or snowboard base during your last tip-to-tail pass when hot waxing. It absorbs excess wax and dirt, helps protect the base from overheating when applying cold waxes, and leaves a thin and uniform wax layer that requires less scraping afterwards. Comes in a pack of 100 sheets and each sheet measures 5" x 9" .

Item #SWX-T153 Swix Fiberlene Pro Paper $12.95

tried the rag iron wipe today for a final pass after waxing.

used a piece of an old ironing board cover I found in the rag bag and thought it would be perfect. it was!

virtually eliminated scraping off excess wax even with the crayon technique of wax application.

its worth experimentation if you've never tried it.

Dsub - I had a good look at a hotbox last month and was all set with plans to build one. just haven't got around to it yet.

Originally posted by dr. sandman

If it works, I don't even want to think how much wax I've wasted in the last 30 years!!

Good info!

it does work, and NO ****, HUH! I used to be tempted to pick up wax scrapings and recycle em, but they were always so dirty. Im glad I didnt

wax is gonna last forever now.

does anyone warm their base first?

The hotbox in the tognar tips is almost exactly like the one I saw in a Tremblant shop. One difference would be the use of infra-red heat bulbs. One thing I didn't see in either was some sort of thermostatic safety switch or even a thermometer to know what temp your cooking at.

The Tremblant technician raved about wax penetration. He would remove a board from the easy bake oven, scrape, then reapply wax and cook it again and repeat until it wouldn't take any more wax.

This shop tunes for JaseyJ so they should know what they're doing.