Note to New Members ×

Toe side, chatter, knees

Good day everyone -

On steeper slopes I've noticed my toeside has developed some chatter and doesn't feel locked in like my heelsides. Either this is a new problem or I'm just sticking to slopes that are steeper and so it hasn't surfaced until now. The board/snow connection feels weak - almost like there's too much play in my ankles, if that makes sense. Conversely, on the heel side, I can rail so hard I almost can't support the weight/g-forces. I want to do that but on toeside.

So....What does the theoretical perfect toeside entail? 

I re-read the toeside article on the bomber site and it talks about flexion and extension, but I couldn't figure out what to do with knees or fore/aft bias of my body.

Where should I be driving my front knee - (I'm goofy) - straight towards the toe edge or am I driving them say...45* between toe edge and board tip? And what should I be doing with the back knee? (I realize this may cause a heated discussion....)

How much should I be leaning forward? I *feel* like I'm pretty far forward but my suspicion is that maybe I'm in the backseat.

Thanks, all.

Is this the article you mentioned? http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/toeside_problem.html

Generally you want to start each carve with more weight on the front foot and finish each carve with more weight on the back foot.  As the carve comes around, you're feeding the board into the turn with your knees.  Driving your knees towards the edge sounds like it may lead to the problems described in the above article.

Driving your knees towards the edge sounds like it may lead to the problems described in the above article.

Jack, that was not the article I found - I actually hadn't read that one yet. Good stuff - there is plenty for me to go on.

:angryfire  Hot lava....got it.

Maybe take the slack out of your boot buckles?

Could also be that you're late into the toeside, on account of something to do with the heelside. And you're then asking the board/snow to redirect more momentum than either cares to deal with.

Actual answer depends, of course, on what you mean by 'chatter'.

Look at Jims knee above, I was having a similar issue on steeps losing my grip on toe side turns. Last year at ECES I was riding with Dan from Pure Boarding and he said point your knee out on Toe sides. Once I tried it I realized for many years I was not doing it right. It sticks like glue when you do it.

Drive your knee forward while unweighting from your heel side turn in transition then drive it directly down to the snow creating an good board edge angle to start your turn. As you go through your turn and and get lower over your board edge you can create a greater board edge angle by driving your knees closer to the snow

In addition to heeding Jack's Toeside Problem article and keeping a picture of Bryan's picture above in mind when riding, I strongly encourage you to remember to use your feet and ankles!  

This too tends to be easier on heelside, at least for me.   I find it relatively easy to close the ankles on heelside and let my weight sink into my heels... which puts my weight right over my edge where I want it and increases the board's inclination against the snow.  

To accomplish the same board inclination and edge pressure on toeside I find I need to open the ankle and exert pressure through the toe mounds... numbers 1 and 3 on the image here:   https://yogacarastudios.com/blog/stand-like-a-mountain/.    Opening the ankle in hard boots takes more effort than closing the ankle IMHO

BTW Bryan uses pretty high angles... 70/65 IIRC.   If you use lower angles - I'm usually 53/48 for example - it will be difficult to replicate his exact body position.   

Edited by Mike T

1 other thing I got while Pureboarding with Mark a few weeks ago was in a toe side turn yer weight distro needs to be a bit more on that back foot/toe. Im not saying get in the back seat but a bit more weight on that back foot makes a difference. My mistake for years was keeping my weight somewhat even on both feet or not really paying attention to where the bulk of the pressure was being placed . The pureboarding day got me to heavily weight my front foot heel in heelsides and shift weight to the back toe on toe sides.

Did I make ANY sense  :freak3:

Edited by Bobby Buggs