Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boots too small in TD1s?

AcousticBoarder

I just bought a pair of UPZ boots, m25, and have a set of TD1s as my bindings. I can latch the bail on the bindings, but it is not very tight. I am not using the step-in holes for the toe and heel blocks, is it ok to move them in to there? I know on the td3s you can turn the toe block around and mount the bail backwards to help with this, but it seems on the TD1s, that the base plate gets in the way on the closest non-stepin hole, and I do not know if it is safe to do so. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What are the 'step in holes' you refer to?

You can reverse the toe and heel blocks if they're conventional clip-ins with a toe lever. Not the heel blocks though if you use step-ins.

I think there's even an alternate hole for the little spring on the shoulder bolts to hold the bail at the right angle, or maybe I'm thinking of the TD2.

My TD3 Sidewinders block some of the 4x4 mounting holes, as the UPZ boots pull the mounting blocks so close together. That's a pain, but I'd rather center the boot on the binding than make for easier removal.

Caution: TD1s can be hard on boards. Don't use them on a new metal board without some kind of spacer plate. Failures are quite rare, but it still would suck. A similar (older) fiberglass board works just fine with TD1s.

The binding has 3(?) sets of mounting holes for the toe and heel blocks, and then a 4th that  is closer and labeled "Step-in only". I can post a picture later tonight, I don't see a good picture in a google search.

I just have regular bails, not step in. Only the rear bail has a spring, I can't change the rear heel block around can I?

I am using the TD1s on an Oxygen Proton SL. I plan on upgrading to TD3s next season, unless someone is selling a pair for a really good deal. On the TD1s, should the bumpers be mounted on the holes closer to center or farther out? I think closer with a smaller boot right?

Yes you can turn them around. You can also micro adjust the bails by turning the banjo joints on the end of the bails just make sure you have lots of thread engagement when you reassemble. Be sure to tighten everything and double check on the hill after a few runs. Blue Loctite works well to keep everything in place

Here is a picture of the plate and the mounting block holes. Is it ok to use these?

Yes you can turn them around. You can also micro adjust the bails by turning the banjo joints on the end of the bails just make sure you have lots of thread engagement when you reassemble. Be sure to tighten everything and double check on the hill after a few runs. Blue Loctite works well to keep everything in place

I have adjusted the bails to as small as they can go. So I can turn the blocks around, both front and back? Or just one? I have only tried it on the toe blocks, and I have noticed my boot is not center either.

post-3995-0-95869100-1424651344_thumb.jp

Edited by AcousticBoarder