Note to New Members ×

HELP! -TD2 bindings popping open when flexing knees

jatkinson

I have just picked up a new (used) set of TD2 and Head Stratos (mondo 30). Upon setup I am finding that if I flex the boots while standing in my living room the bindings will pop open. I have adjusted them tighter and looser and played with the set screw. Keep getting the same result.

The toe bail does touch both sides of the toe box of the boots. My best guess is when I flex the boot the toe box expands a bit and moves the toe bail a bit.

I was really stoked for my first hardboot day tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Attempt at posting video below

https://vimeo.com/120267863

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my best guess- 2 issues. 1st they need to be tighter on the boots. Should be strong arm tight as in one strong pull with the hand under a good amount of pressure. 2nd, you probably need to adjust the set screw on the bail so that the bail "over centers" when the binding is secured. BTW where are you planning on riding tomorrow-Whistler?

I had a similar bail opening issue, but with different boots and the TD's.  As best I can tell, after watching your video,  you have the same problem that I did.

To me it looks like the actual bail is too narrow for the boot.  Where the bail bends, it looks like you boot is hitting the bail, causing the bail to move, which causes the toe lever to move and eventually pop open.

I solved this issue, with the help of Fin.  

At the time Fin explained to me that the 'shoulder bolts' on the step ins were longer than the toe lever TD's.  By bending the toe bail wider, with the extra room provided by the longer shoulder bolts, the boot was no longer too wide for the bail. 

The rubber sole of the boots, squishing down, started all the movement. Even with the boot movement, the boot didn't hit the bail that was pulled wider .... and the toe lever stayed closed. 

Hope this helps

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

I think Rob's answer seems to make sense. I have added a couple of washers to spread the bail a bit. I will contact bomber next week about solving this more permanently. I have also added a clip/strap to keep the binding closed (mostly for my peace of mind).

I have also tightened the fit quite a bit. It is now a 2 hand operation to close the binding.

Yes, I will be at whistler tomorrow. Probably spending most of the day on Blackcomb. I think jersey cream will probably be where to find me if you are over that way. Orange jacket, black pants, looking like a first time hardbooter :)

Cheers,

JJ

Edited by jatkinson

Probably not a good idea.

I have to agree with Beckman ,  doing this will possibly cause the shoulder bolt to fail.  It's strength is dependent on being tight to the plate.  One of the reason's the TD3 uses a shaft not a shoulder bolt.  Keep looking for a better solution please. 

I can't see your video for some reason, but I have a similar problem with my UPZs and certain TD3 toe bails. I've found that TD1 toe bails have a longer distance from bail to toe ledge so sit further from the boot and give some clearance on the side. The toe bails on my TD3 Sidewinders also fit, just barely. Longer versions don't work (because the lug sits back farther, where the boot is wider) and the newer shorter ones don't work either (because the bend is more, causing the lug to stand more upright).

You may want to offer to trade with the poster who can't get his TD1s to fit M24 boots. That would likely solve both your problems.

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to ride on Sunday and the bindings behaved. I was testing the boots/bindings in the warm house. On the hill in colder conditions the boots did not flex nearly as much and everything worked properly. I actually had to loosen the bindings a bit so I could get them closed. I did use a couple of safety clips to make sure everything stayed closed, but I don't think it was really needed. I will contact Bomber about wider bails.

This seems to be the fault of my abnormally wide boots rather than a fault of the bindings that I found pretty impressive and burly looking. Maybe I should change my user name to "fatboots".

My technique clearly needs a lot of work. 25 years of soft boot experience didn't translate as much as I would have thought. Conditions were challenging and the board was a lot stiffer than I am used to. Made for a fairly humbling experience overall. I also found that the muscles used were different with a more angled stance. I am very sore today.

Thanks again.

JJ

The issue with the bindings has been resolved. I contacted bomber and was advised to switch the toe bail to the new TD3 version. These are a bit shorter and the change in angle gave more clearance. Tested out yesterday and performed perfectly.

Thanks again for all the input!