Note to New Members ×

Buying Thor gloves

kjl

So my last Thor gloves (that people here seem to love) lasted forever but apparently I lost one, so I need a replacement.

Was just wondering if anybody had a link to a reputable online seller, or any experience buying from either of the two online stores I could find:

http://www.texasmusicnews.net/THOR.htm

http://www.texashuntingnews.com/THOR.htm

I just ask because those websites seem really... sketchy to me and don't have anything to do with snowsports. musicnews? huntingnews? iirc the last time I bought it was from a different but equally shady-feeling website (thundercloudmarketing or some such) and it turned out just fine, but I just want to make sure I don't get scammed.

Thanks.

Ken, you are still alive. Will you ride this winter if we ever get some snow here? I am usually at Kwood or Alpine-SV.

Hey! Nice to hear from you! I have not even seen snow in 5 years! I'm out of practice. I will probably not ride in Tahoe - too spoiled to ride anything but hero snow in Colorado :)  Come kitesurf in the bay with me!

Does anyone know if these include and/or have a spot to attach "idiot strings"?

I only have one glove left to compare :) , but it has a little plastic loop on the cuff you could tie something to. I assume the matching glove has a similar loop (probably with a little clip that hooks to the first glove), but am not sure.

It definitely does not come with them though.

I only have one glove left to compare :) , but it has a little plastic loop on the cuff you could tie something to. I assume the matching glove has a similar loop (probably with a little clip that hooks to the first glove), but am not sure.

It definitely does not come with them though.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, both gloves do have the loops on the cuffs and I've attached adjustable leash to mine (removed from older gloves/mittens).  Works well, but make sure the lease line is long enough, especially if you have the ones with the extra long gauntlets. 

SO, back to the original question:

I ended up ordering these back on Jan 21 (when I first posted this thread), and haven't heard a peep from the guy. I sent an email to his customer service email as well. Anybody know him or what's going on with him? Is it a company or just one guy? Off skiing somewhere? Horrible family emergency? Just slow on fulfilling orders?

I was hoping to have these for the SES but looking less and less likely...

SO, back to the original question:

I ended up ordering these back on Jan 21 (when I first posted this thread), and haven't heard a peep from the guy. I sent an email to his customer service email as well. Anybody know him or what's going on with him? Is it a company or just one guy? Off skiing somewhere? Horrible family emergency? Just slow on fulfilling orders?

I was hoping to have these for the SES but looking less and less likely...

It's just one guy and in my case it took a week before my order was shipped. I would give John a call ASAP.

It's just one guy and in my case it took a week before my order was shipped. I would give John a call ASAP.

Do you have his number? I can't seem to find it on the various websites. Thanks!

John! It will be good to see you. Yes, I was trying to buy these gloves for the SES this year, but looks like it'll be too late. As to being able to carve: I feel like my brain will be up to the task but my legs (and back) are weak and out of shape I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Level gloves but in purchasing them I was more concerned with wrist support and durability:

http://www.levelgloves.com/protection.php?recordID=1011UG_53_half_pipe_gore_tex_dark.gif

I am new to the hard booting arena so I am not used to dragging but in looking at the Thor/Level they seem fairly similar in durability? Anyone have any experience with using Level gloves?

I used the Level Halfpipes with gore and wrist protection but now use Thors. Its a tradeoff. The Level gloves were incredibly warm, kept my hands dry, and protected my wrists since I like to touch the snow; the downside is that I destroyed them after 3/4 season. My Thors lasted two seasons (until they got stolen) but are not well insulated nor water resistant, I added an inner glove with wirst protection and now they're OK but it's still that what I want. Price-wise the Thors win hands down. My dream glove combines the durability of Thor with the fit/finish and waterproofness of the Levels. For now I bought two pair of Thors but heard a new version is coming out. However, I may go back to the Halfpipes and give them the Sikaflex or PU treatment from the get go and see how that holds up.

My dream glove combines the durability of Thor with the fit/finish and waterproofness of the Levels. For now I bought two pair of Thors but heard a new version is coming out.

Same here.  Would love something that combined Thor+Level.  

What's this about a new version of Thor?  Any details?