Note to New Members ×

First Time on Alpine borad

Monk

I've got a suggestion...  :biggthump

Start here.

X1,000,000!

As soon as I read the first post, I pulled up Beckmann's binding page.  I struggled and fought my equipment for almost half a season, adjusting stuff two or three times a day.  Then I read his page word for word and started over.  I set my boots and bindings up the way he describes, to a T, and hit it the next day.  Within about two turns, I had made nearly a season's worth of progression.  

Binding and boot setup is key.  If you can't or won't take the time to do it right, you might as well be in ski boots with a duck stance.

X1,000,000!

As soon as I read the first post, I pulled up Beckmann's binding page.........

This is good because there is a great deal of beta there...but I did feel a bit lost.  Partly because I am so new and partly because I don't have the ability to make adjustments other than angle and position on the board.  

So...is there a rule against posting pics before 5 posts or something like that?  I did read the "how to post pics" in the FAQ and it doesn't seem to be an option for me.  I was going to post a pic of my stance.

Turn the bindings so the boot edges are just even with the edges of the board.  Front and rear angles should be within 5° of each other; I'm guessing you'll be somewhere between 55° and 65° for the front.  Multiply your inseam length by 0.607 and that will get you a starting point for your stance width.  Get a cant/ heel lift wedge for the rear binding to lift your rear heel up.  I believe oldsnowboards on here has a few for sale still.  From there, adjust your forward lean and cant in your boots to get your knees as close to the center line of the board as possible.  Anything beyond that and you'll need to think about more adjustable bindings.  

And if you ever get down to Powder Mountain, shoot me a PM.

Edited by That Guy...

@snowboardfast    Thanks for the tip.  I found the vid and in it he says that it is a companion to his written direction on carving and it lists a link to an article here on Bomber.....but the link does not lead to anything.  Does anyone know what happened to that article?

Here's a link to Tom Palka's article:  http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/carving_ranges_of_movement.html

post-213-0-42876200-1421759770_thumb.jpg

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the ride!

B-2

Turn the bindings so the boot edges are just even with the edges of the board.  Front and rear angles should be within 5° of each other; I'm guessing you'll be somewhere between 55° and 65° for the front.  Multiply your inseam length by 0.607 and that will get you a starting point for your stance width.  Get a cant/ heel lift wedge for the rear binding to lift your rear heel up.  I believe oldsnowboards on here has a few for sale still.  From there, adjust your forward lean and cant in your boots to get your knees as close to the center line of the board as possible.  Anything beyond that and you'll need to think about more adjustable bindings.  

And if you ever get down to Powder Mountain, shoot me a PM.

@thatguy Awesome and thanks very much and should I head south I'll drop a PM.  And if you ever get a hankerin' for some Teton powder at Targhee drop me a note.

@Monk   I will definitely want to hear how the results go for you too!

Turn the bindings so the boot edges are just even with the edges of the board.  Front and rear angles should be within 5° of each other; I'm guessing you'll be somewhere between 55° and 65° for the front.  

5 deg difference in the back is the general rule of thumb, but I ride happily with a 10deg difference, as do a few other people I know. For a beginner, a 5deg difference can make it tough to skid out the back of the board.

On my first day on an alpine board with an instructor - he set up my stance very scientifically. He told me to stand on the board as if I was going to ride it. Just stand on it. So I did, and when he asked if it felt comfortable and I said yes, he set my angles and my stance there, and that was it. Many years and much experimenting later, that's still my optimal setup. If your head is spinning from all the advice, just try that, and go with it. Your body is probably as good a judge as anyone on what works for you.

• Like 3

I promised Monk and others that I would post my next attempt and hardboot riding...which is as follows:

Previously I had be using a youtube tutorial that is narrated in Russian.   The guy teaches one to hold their arms out in front like a zombie.  I’m sure it works and would probably work great for me if I could understand everything he says in it instead of the occasional subtitle.  And when I say previously…my first attempt was a disaster.  On my previous attempt  I did one run and spent most of it skidding sideways down the hill since the board was so odd feeling compared to what I was used to.

This time I was shooting for “the Norm”.  I also adjusted the aft foot angle closer to what I have been used to (as shown a few posts above this).  First run was another tough one.  I brought the K2 along….just in case and was again thinking about bailing and going back to the style I am good at.  But…I decided to stick with it.  The part of the “Norm” that I realized I needed to focus on was the standing straight and tall….all the way down part….arms down to the side.  He used a metaphor of a sailboat mast when a sailboat is rocking.  So…..I focused on doing just that.  At first I was able to get a decent heelside carve but was not getting the toeside.  A couple more runs and I had both.  A few more runs (straight and tall and no bending) and I was connecting the turns and leaving good trails.  A few times I thought was skidding…but I would look back and see a great carving trail.  A few more runs (sailboat mast) and I started to tighten the turns and increase speed.  I only went for a ½ day, but by the end of the day I was carving it up.  Not like most of you on this forum do...but still carving!  

Don’t get me wrong…..there was some skidding and my “nice carves” would have just a touch of skid in them.   Mostly from lame form I’m sure, but I think some from having a bit of a short board.  This 159 felt just a bit short and I wasn’t getting the edge grab that I was expecting.  But, by the end of the ½ day I was carving some good S turns with good grooves.  I looked a bit weird with the sailboat mast thing…but was very happy at the end.  The next time I go on a non-pow day…I don’t even think I will bring the safety-net K2 Ultra dream!  Thank you Jack Michaud!  The sailboat mast made all the difference.  Thank you also Russian dude….I’m sure your tutorial works great and would have gone well for me if I had stuck with it, but I appreciate that you posted one.

I hope your next attempt went/goes well also Monk.  For me now it is practice, practice....but I am very happy with the results of the day!

• Like 1

Thanks any suggestions on the stances ?

Your angles are actually 75 and 60 ( 0 or zero would be perpendicular to the board and 90 would be inline to the board)  and I think you may be better served with both feet closer to 60 or what your back foot is on now. Your boots are also well back from the edge on the front foot which puts you at a leverage disadvantage. On some boards I have run front foot at 63 and back foot at 66. But I personally don't like splay. I like my feet at the same angles. I know some or many like their feet open or splayed but for the most part I do not. Just my personal opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Like others said, your setup seems way off! Too much angle on the bindings, distance between front and back (stance width) seems too short. A good starting point for stance is the distance between the floor and the center of your knee cap, I'm 5'11'' and mine is 20 inch. For the binding angles, start with 40 degres back, 50 degres front. With lower angle, it will be easier to control the pressure you put on the edges. Don't worry about a little bit of boot over hang, your toes and heels wont touch the snow until you are able to carve really tight turns...

Has for the problem of having a hard time with heel side turns, maybe you are experiencing the same situation has my girl friend, her body is too bent toe side, her bodyweight is not centered on the board, it's like she's always reaching for the snow with her hands. Her body is too stiff, she has a tendency to ride the tail to much.

snowboard-stance1.jpg