Note to New Members ×

Asymmetrical Carving

snowlove

...I have not actually tried a modern carve board.  I have an M6 asym and nitro scorpion. both those boards have significant camber.  My current Arbor element with soft boots has rocker and is fun but not as carvy so I am moving towards purchase of a new set up and always loved the asym but have not been able to find any newer ones.

Quite a difference in ride quality between an M and PJ series of the same year, the latter being the better option.

If you have the opportunity, you should connect with a few riders in your area with gear to spare, and try anything built in the last decade.

You will most likely find a board that 'speaks' to you, and from there you can either buy 'off the rack', or move on to a custom build.

When I see some of the videos online, I realize I have a long way to go and perhaps it is in fact my poor technique that is keeping me from laying out my heelside turns and not the board.

Technique is affected by interface and platform.  Kinda hard to 'lay out' a turn of any duration on a board with a small sidecut.  By design, it's going to try to stand you right back up again.

I just took out my custom Donek Incline. 169cm, 22cm waist, 11-13m side cut. I've only had one day on it (not enough time for an actual review), but it made me think of this thread. Super playful, could take a bunch of turn shapes/ sizes, and let me really move around the board. I could also pop the tail and carve the nose in a fun way- easier and with more control then I have done so on other decks. 

And it's all glass- not all fun boards have to be super tech in their materials.