Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2014/15

bobble

1/7/15

Evening

weather.com says -6F. it was definitely cold. only one chair was running. i was surprised skiers will still racing. hands and toes got cold. lasted an hour. 

snow was incredible. how often does anyone see  untouched virgin cord in the evening???

someone else left trenches near the towers.  :biggthump 

1/11/15

Snow was hero but unfortunately buck had gates set up on milkrun and warners for d-team. crossroads was crowded with skiers. skiers outnumbered boarders 100:1.

greg and i quickly moved onto Olympic which no one was riding. snow was exceptional but getting to the run was problematic. at the top of warners there was a large crowd of kids and adults standing around for races. they blocked the way to Olympic so we had to kick some kids down, run over skis, out run a screaming parent, etc. minor inconvenience.

shortly afterwards skiers started showing up on Olympic. a bunch of d-team groms started skiing on the run. more runs later these guys started setting up a slalom course on Olympic just off center and right up to the ski ramp. WTF! they even put a "CLOSED" sign at the start of the course. undeterred we still crossed through it as NO ONE WAS USING THE COURSE.

there were some ski jammer instructors standing like zombies in the middle of the run looking at us. had to carve around them. not sure what they were doing. they stood there for at least two runs

the ski patrol showed up and started doing sled drills on the only open part of Olympic. :AR15firin arrrrggghhh! its tough to compete for space on the run. why couldn't they do that after lunch when it dies out!!!  :smashfrea 

went back to crossroads. it was busy but manageable.

greg left early around 11 am. i left around noon.

wow, long day...

Morning

temps were warm. early morning there was sun. the place got crowded with skiers. snow was decent. i lasted about 1-1/2 hours. the lift lines became intolerable.

Afternoon

went back out when a friend texted he was at buck. went back at 1:30pm. place was still busy. sky was gray. snow was packed down. there were ruts all over. the backside had bare ice poking through. i didn't carve much. left at 5:30pm.

Two Broke Girls

at the bottom of the main chair i was standing in the line near the fence talking to my friend. a girl on skis came in hot. she was trying to sit backwards or something. she went right between us and hit the fence. her skis dipped down under the fence and from my perspective it looked like she hit her head against a board. seconds later another girl on skis came in between us and hit the fence just next to her friend. it looked like she had nailed the fence post the side of her chest. they were tangled up. they were just teens.

i called over to the lifty to get the ski patrol. my friend and i attempted to get the first skier out of her skis. she was lying backwards and couldn't get out of the skis. the second one seemed badly hurt. she was moaning and didn't move. my friend tried to keep her calm.

a couple ski patrollers arrived. it took awhile but they got the second girl moving and took her to the ski patrol office.

the first skier seemed to be okay although her neck was badly scraped up. almost like she was hanged by a noose. ski patrol took her to the office too. my friend somehow got her blood on his jacket.

friend wondered why the fence was there. if it wasn't then they wouldn't have gotten hurt. 

• Like 1

I road and raced Sunday evening, snow was like a really hard snow cone. No trouble holding and edge but there was some ice in the race course. I think I'm getting the UPZ figured out, need some more arch support though. Man those boots are annoying getting into toe clip bindings, I'm really missing the step ins.. Getting out of the parking lot at 7:45 is a disaster, wrote the post while waiting to pull out.

Skiied Sat Morn with some friends.

Good times. Snow was fab.

In keeping with the mantra "do something everyday that scares you" I coughed up $5 and tried the airbag.

Returned that evening with my daughter and we spent some time on the magic carpet for her first ski experience.

Bad timing on my part to go on the busiest weekend, but we still had fun. She kept giggling and on run 2-5 she started pushing my hands away "I can do it myself" while I kept steering her away from the fence.

Back hurts. Going to get some those Edgie-wedgies for her ski tips and a harness/leash for next time.

Jess wrangled the little one while I did three more runs. Great fun bombing the terrain park NEXT to the features. Lift up on rollers and get a little air.

Half pipe was a good shape though a little ice-tastic. Met another carver, Craig at the top.

Snowboarding with Erik and Rufus on Sunday.

Bluebird day and had my best run right after race course on milk run was cleared.

Rode better once the sun warmed cord and previous ruts and holes smoothed out.

Evening

it snowed a few inches. 

crossroads has :AR15firin moguls!!! what kind of phuckery is this!!!  crossroads is broken.  might have to venture elsewhere. 

post-556-0-64707600-1421895067_thumb.jpg

so much for the buck ass and is still sweet. 

i only went down crossroads once. skiers right had some ruts (hard to tell from the image). the center of the run had small piles of loose snow.

didn't bother with warren's ... it looked like a course was set up.

rode red tail ridge for an hour. it was good. soft carving. hardly made a noise.

That's a lot of moguls, at least it looks like more than I've seen there before. I'll be out at Buck Friday and Saturday morning I think, I need to get in shape for MES, lol.

Did you watch the Twelve Monkies series Bob? It's a lot different from the movie.

Re: moguls. The field looks wider and longer. It's starts further down from top which is good. Such a shame. Skiers are carving now. Can't carve moguls.

Re: 12 Monkees. Yes. Not sure what to think yet. Seems like they changed a lot about John Cole character. Now he's a biological computer?!? Hope it gets better.

Skied Friday night, snow was better on the less steep runs, good on Warner's Way and Red Tail Ridge (had to look at the trail map for that name). Super icky, icy between the bunny hill chair and the Nastar finish area, as hard as  an ice rink and bumpy.

Boarded for a bit Sat morning. Snow held up for carving for about an hour, then got too soft for my liking. Feet hurt, a lot... The UPZs give me a ton of pain at my arches. Might need to switch back to the Heads for MES. Starting to think the Head boot would be perfect for me if it was just a little taller. Stiffer tongues maybe?

1/25/15

Morning

the snow was faaaaasst!!! glazed cord. unfortunately light was bad. snow held up. place was super busy with events. erik, steve and myself hung out on olympic.

saw a skier get hooked by the new chair lift and get thrown forward. one ski popped out and the chair just pulled him along and tossed him over the side . i guess he didn't know where to stand. the lift was down several minutes until the ski patrol helped him.

erik wowwed the "Never Summer" tent. he demo'd one of their boards with hardboots and laid out some extreme carves.

did a couple runs on crossroads. the mogul field is  "[rhymes with post-556-0-16034200-1422234124_thumb.jpg] blocking"  the next evolutionary leap to skiing  [probably NSFW]. here's a safer version.

Edited by bobble

• 2 weeks later...

Buck hill ride recap Sun 2-8-2015

Lighting wasn't great, but Snow was carvetastic.

Probably best I have ridden all year.

Matt and his brother Phil came out to ride and we occupied Olympic dreams most of the morning - empty (save for some ski patrol training) smooth,

And hero-snow conditions.

Laughing and fun times. ..Until.

A skier and a youngling, creeped up on Phil in the lift line as he was getting unbuckled from his board. Phil hopped a bit and his board bumped the tips of the encroaching skier.

"Hey - these are $1000 skis!"

I laughed.. Thinking he was joking.

Got an evil stare in return. :(

Windells camp had occupied the park and skis and boards were shredding the boxes and rails.

Was surprised to see their end-of-camp photo posted to Facebook/Buck Hill, and I am on the chairlift in the background.

I had unintentionally photo-bombed the pic.

I LOL-ed A little bit at that one.

Going to miss this Sunday's morning carve-fest.

Out here in Aspen. Snowmass has rocks here and there. Sunday I had the misfortune of hitting a rock which messed up the heel side edge. Took it into a shop and they fixed it. Just needed some Ptex and a base grind.

Was out on a run called Slot and hit a rock. Again on heel side. Showed it to the manufacturer and it's severely damaged. He said he doesn't do board repairs. Not sure what to do. It's not a simple repair.

post-556-0-20148800-1423779271_thumb.jpgpost-556-0-96707700-1423779365_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobble

Bob, (as you know) I have a multitude of clamps. From the photos it looks like it might go back together with some epoxy.

@bobd the damage to the board is substantial. i showed it to bruce from coiler. he said that the edge was pulled out from the base and that the way to fix it would be to cut out a section of the base and patch it with edges in place. he mentioned something about a hydraulic press. basically it was something that the local ski shops in Aspen wouldn't be able to do. it doesn't give me much hope that any local places could do better.

bonding the base to the titanal is difficult. if there is epoxy that is adhered to the titanal then it *might* be possible to patch the board. the repair tech would have to heat the base and s-l-o-w-l-y remove it so as to leave the epoxy intact on the titanal. if the epoxy was ripped from the titanal, then its not possible to fix. 

even if it is possible to patch that area the board will be structurally weakened. its likely to break again.

anyways, tried riding plates on a softboot board. i was riding 30F/25R. no underhang. it's a wide board and it took effort to tilt the board on edge. gave up after two runs.

switch to rossi. snow was so firm that i couldn't hold an edge. gave up after two runs. think the edges need to be sharpened.

anyone interested in buying an Oxess Snowboard voucher valued at $600?

post-556-0-86602300-1424030317_thumb.jpg

@bobd the damage to the board is substantial. i showed it to bruce from coiler. he said that the edge was pulled out from the base and that the way to fix it would be to cut out a section of the base and patch it with edges in place. he mentioned something about a hydraulic press. basically it was something that the local ski shops in Aspen wouldn't be able to do. it doesn't give me much hope that any local places could do better.

bonding the base to the titanal is difficult. if there is epoxy that is adhered to the titanal then it *might* be possible to patch the board. the repair tech would have to heat the base and s-l-o-w-l-y remove it so as to leave the epoxy intact on the titanal. if the epoxy was ripped from the titanal, then its not possible to fix. 

even if it is possible to patch that area the board will be structurally weakened. its likely to break again.

Bob,

I know a few people that would be able to fix it. Not in shops. You are right, this is not a small job. I will ask them and let you know. They tend to be pretty busy.

Doug