Note to New Members ×

After 23 years - need lesson to lay turns

Comapedrosa

Hi,

I haven't missed a season since switching from skis to alpine boards in 1991. And I've had my fair share of fun carving on 3 continents. But I have a confession to make: I've never succeeded at reliably laying turns, and even less linking laid-down turns (Vitelli turn anyone?).

Is there someone on the East Coast who'd be willing to give me a tip or two?

More specifically, I'll be at Wachusett every Sunday of the season starting next month (since the kids are in a ski club there) - red pants, black jacket, white UPS boots, black/blue Coiler that's called "Polar Vortex".

Would be really great!

CP

CP,

Sounds like you have way more experience than me but I have been obsessed with laying down turns for the past few seasons, and have made a lot of progress. I'm a bit too far south for you (PA Pocono Mountains area) but occasionally I'll get up to VT. Sounds like I'm going to either Pico Mtn this year or Berkshire East, but there's a ton of guys and gals up there that I'm sure would be willing to help. While a meeting probably won't happen, I'd be glad to give you some tips I learned while trying to figure this technique out on my own.

Feel free to PM me (are PM's working now?)

Mark aka Dingbat and myself have had great success helping people move up their carving level at Berkshire East. Im not a paid instructor nor do I play one on TV but based on what we have seen from the first meeting of people to the end of the day I would say the results are not by accident.

Beast is a really uncrowded place with some trail width and pitch you dont usually find at a smaller New England spots.

NickG, Bobby Buggs, RobertAlexander, trailertrash, GeoffV, thx so much for all your responses!! While my Sundays are taken by the bunny slopes, I'll try to find a couple of Saturdays to come up to Stratton, Loon or Berkshire East (never been to this one). Would love to take you up on your generous offesr!!

Are there certain dates people usually get together (outside of the ECES - I was at the Stratton meet for the first time last winter)?

Coma, when you say "laying down," are you talking about hip-dragging and the standard carving awesomeness? Or are you talking specifically about "extreme carving" turns?

I guess it depends on the CP's definition of "laying down" turns. Hip dragging is obviously not a problem on any mountain or trail. EC'ing on an easy run with narrow trail is a bit of a challenge. I am not saying it can't be done...

Look, when i went to the meet in Stratton, there were easily 6-8 guys who linked some pretty amazing turns in seriously horizontal positions.

I felt like chump - when usually I'm the king of the mountain (incl fancier places like zermatt, Val d'isere, serre chevalier, meribel, Grau Roig-pas de la Casa, Killington, you name it).

So it's simple: I wanna do what they do :-)

• 3 weeks later...