Note to New Members ×

When do boot shells wear out?

ExcelsiorTheFathead

My RC10 shells have many, many days on them. They look like heck with scuffs and nicks. The buckles and related hardware are beat up, but still work fine. I regularly take the heels off to clean them and make sure that the screws aren't corroding. Most of the days were on either Snowpro or Intec step-ins, but there were many with bail bindings as well. There are no cracks or fractures that I can see.

When should I take them out of service? Will I "feel" them wearing out? How long can they reasonably last?

While I don't believe this 100%, when I was working in ski industry years ago, 100 days was the "rule"...obviously a subjective matter with many variables at play (type/quality of shell, temp changes, amount of UV exposure, weight of rider etc). Having said that, my ski boots from early 2000's are still kicking with way more than 100 days on them. I also had a buddy patrol 100+ days a year for a couple years and he noticed his boots just not performing the same and felt the shells became mush. Don't know if that helps at all....

I am not sure that they wear out in a few years no matter how much use they get. I just replaced my boots and for me apart from the matter of fit the driving force was the number of people I have seen skiing down the hill with one boot completely cracked and split open. Every season I see old boots suffer from sudden and catastrophic failure as the polymer has become brittle as an inevitable consequence of age and UV exposure. New Zealand has very high UV levels which may make the incidence of sudden failure more frequent. Whatever, its one thing skiing with a boot fallen apart and an entirely different prospect snowboarding, especially with the way our bindings work. I like having two legs.

...When the plastic dies. At which point it no longer transmits sufficient vibration from the operating surface to the rider, and then the rider suffers diminished proprioceptive capacity.

Generally, if you know 'where your feet are' on hard snow, but your spatial awareness becomes noticeably vague on softer snow, or when the visibility becomes poor, it's time for new shells.

This time frame will vary depending on the quality and type of materials involved. Some boots start out 'dead' and get deader, while others transmit a fairly clean signal almost to the point of structural failure.

Thanks for the input. I think my boots are the '08 model purchased in '09 during a summer sale. I'm pretty sure that I have over 500 days (mornings) on them, currently on the third set of liners. I can see how liners "mush out", but I'd figure that shells just get harder and embrittle until they fail somehow. I don't think that I'm so well-connected and aware of my feet that I could really feel much difference in my shells, but just to be safe I bought another pair over the summer to have on standby. Maybe I will try swapping them on alternate days to see how different they feel.

I can't answer about your RC 10's but the last pair of Technica ski boots I retired had over 700 days on them. Ski bindings had worn into the heel so much I didn't feel safe. My current Nordica's (super charger ignition), have around 400 days. To be fair that's mostly half days.

You have ridden with me and you know that they get ridden hard. I've also seen two year old boots explode. Severe cold can be a factor. Poor technique can be a big factor I think that if you pay attention to rivet points, toe box, heels, etc... hopefully you will see a problem at home.

Don

My track 700s have at least 250 days on them, hinges replaced, 3rd set of liners, no difference feel-wise from when they were new. I dread the thought of getting new shells b/c then I'd have to make the same mods on the new ones... old-school ratchet straps on the toe, air till the hinges break and replace with with a stronger home-made solution, etc

Art, get that second pair dialed in to the point THEY are your "go to" boots. Then you still have a good back up pair. I have saved more than a few road trips / ski days by having several pair of boots onboard. As far as catastrophic failure, I don't believe I have heard of any on the UPZ line. Keeping an eye on the details , like you are, is the best prevention. More than once I have stopped another rider and said "Hey, rock your foot side to side" only to spot a loose or broken part. You have allot of experience, find yourself saying to yourself. "Something feels weird?" That is time to take a break and check the gear carefully.

Side note: When you swap back and forth, know that they are likely not exactly the same any more. Watch the fit up with the bindings closely.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 1 month later...

Well, the side-by-side comparison plan might not happen, but I was able to get a really good deal on new liners today at the local Surefoot. They are having a 20% off Halloween sale, and I got a further discount by buying last year's model. I'm not foaming the liners yet, but will just keep them in reserve along with the new RC10 boots. I'm going to ride my old boots for most of this season then foam the new boots about a month before the season ends. Assuming the old boots are still ok, I'll keep them on just-in-case standby.

I want to get the new boots set up before I leave here cuz all of the candidate places for next winter don't have a Surefoot.

• 2 weeks later...

My boots failed last season. At one point during the day I thought my riding had gone to hell. "Why can't I ride well now", I thought to myself. When I got home later in the day and took my boots off and something didn't look right. The heal on my boot was cracking off. I'm such a cheapskate - I should have replaced my boots a long time ago, but I got off easy and didn't have a catastrophic failure causing me to wreck. post-2333-141842420919_thumb.jpg

post-2333-141842420915_thumb.jpg