Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2014

khoward

Ran into Nick from Fergus Falls in the chalet this morning. We met at MES a couple of weeks ago. Got those pre-opening first tracks (and 2nd and 3rd etc) on the express lift side. The snow was superb "Minnesota firm", leaving beautiful "trenches", well really lines, all of 1" depth all over that side of the mt.  With temps near zero, a wind chill and a clear and sunny sky, the slopes were free and clear to carve with abandon. 

Nick riding a 171ish Coiler stubby and later having fun on a 180ish F2 race. I was riding my newly repaired safari REV which seemed hold together fine, riding as good as new!

Went over to rip up the Gandy side, Blue Ruin was really nice today, as well as everything between there and Jugular Joe.  Gandy has moguls skier's left, upper half, and had it's typical inconsistent grooming. We went back over to the express side about 12:30 and found the lift out of service and all personnel busy trying to get folks off, so we walked back over to B chair to get back up. I left about 1pm, about when they were firing up the C chair.

Not even a hint of the ice-base layer today, only on the chair loading/unloading ramps.

Hitting the road for SES tomorrow night! ...which assures that Spirit will finally get some much needed snow!

Edited by bigwavedave

Saturday, February 7 - flat light early that gradually improved over the course of the morning and the usual firm groom were tempered by the strong wind out of the East that slowed things down a couple of notches; the narrower runs provided some wind protection. Getting pretty busy by the time I left for a stretch of covering the USCSA race just before 11am. Plan to be out again early tomorrow morning, hoping the easterlies have abated.

For anyone who is considering a day at Spirit yet this season - I've accumulated a couple of comp passes that I'd love to see put to good use. PM me through the site if you're interested.

Russ

Sunday, February 8 - A thin coat of ice on my truck this morning and grey skies gave me pause this morning, but I figured the worst that could happen is I would have to turn around and drive the 20 minutes back home, so I gave it a go. Flat light and occasional light freezing drizzle, but the wind had shifted out of the northeast, most other winter sports enthusiasts had opted out, and the familiar Minnesota firm groom was smooth and grippy. Spent the whole morning on the Express side on my Donek slalom board.

If we waited for bright sunny days and perfect snow conditions to ride at Spirit, we'd get out about 4 days a year....I'm damn glad I went out today.

Russ 

Did ye get some snow then?

Monday was my first day at SES. I rode both Monday and Tuesday  (day "off" for SES) at Buttermilk in order to acclimate, as the top of Milk is under 10,000'.  There are clusters of carvers everywhere you go.  Conditions are surprisingly good, better than Spirit has been this year, although with the daily freeze/thaw (highs in the 40's) Aspen is working on developing that icy base layer, at least on the lower third of the mountains. Spent a lot of time on West B'milk where you can board the chair at a midway station avoiding the crunchy snow on the lower mt., and ride gentle groomers over and over--5 minutes up--2 minutes down--much like Spirit without the flat sections. Rode up the chair with Aspen carving icon softbootsailor.

Rode at Highlands today with SES.  Hoping I made it into some of the many photo ops,  as I have't been taking any of my own yet. We have a good Minnesota representation, including Bobble, Trent, thebionicman, myself and rumored sightings of nelsonboat . If you look in the SES photos you will see that "laydownEric" aka (thebionicman) has found a way to get photographed more than Trent! 

Hope you guys got out on that new snow. Nothing but blue skies and sun screen here.

Why is this man smiling?

- the sun is shining in northern Minnesota for a change;

- the new snow earlier this week has hidden all the hard scrapy spots;

- it's -5F, but there's only a gentle breeze out of the north;

- hardly anyone else took advantage of today's conditions.

Leaving tomorrow for a week at Big Sky and Bridger bowl too!

Russ

post-868-0-86360400-1423797091_thumb.jpg

We have a good Minnesota representation, including Bobble, Trent, thebionicman, myself and rumored sightings of nelsonboat . If you look in the SES photos you will see that "laydownEric" aka (thebionicman) has found a way to get photographed more than Trent! 

there was another rider that was there from Minnesota. his name was Andrea (sp?). he's from Germany but is living in Rochester MN. not sure but i think his wife was also in hardboots so that might bring the total of MN riders to 7. i told him to come out to Welch sometime. he made some dismissive comments about Welch being too small.  it is small but at least its close and it does have steeps that rival the runs  where the clinics were performed.

Andrea, if you're reading this, come out and ride. Buck Hill, Welch, Afton, and Spirit Mountain have riders and we welcome new people.

Edited by bobble

Spirit didn't open til noon today due to cold weather.  I had first tracks after the patrollers made sure things were safe, thanks Russ.  Below zero temps combined with a NW wind,  sparkling sunny day,  ice covered Lake Superior, and empty slopes made for free carving heaven. Somehow we managed to ride for 4 hours with just one short coffee/cocoa break. Got involved with a photo shoot for Spirit Mt marketing. There wasn't much else for this guy to point his camera at.

post-2809-0-94897400-1424662809_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-53217600-1424662824_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-45818300-1425002306_thumb.jp Russ making tracks

Best carving snow yet this season today. Rode with Russ from 10-12, took a break to warm up after noon. Temps started out below zero and barely got above.  When I came back out, the mono (disabled) skiers were in having lunch and the slopes were eerily empty.  I felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone where I was the last person on earth, except for the lifties, who were just faceless props in my fantasy. About 2:30 the after-schoolers started showing up, broke the spell, and I was gone.

post-2809-0-58779500-1425002157_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-85376200-1425002192_thumb.jp

Edited by bigwavedave

Looks like Spirit got about 5-6" of snow. Hope it didn't all blow away. Planning to come up Thursday. Huttner is warning of a sudden-onset spring. Get it while you can. Spring conditions may be just around the corner, like next week!

I finally qualify for a senior pass for next year. Spirit now has a deal with Lutsen for half price tickets (3 per year) with a Spirit pass and $30 off a daily pass anytime. No mention if there is still a deal with Giants Ridge.

Also, the Indianhead 4 pack pass sold this March can only be used during 2015-16 season.

Edited by bigwavedave

Thursday, March 5th - We hit the jackpot today!

Bright sun, single digits with a westerly breeze, superb groom as a result of the snow earlier in the week, and good company made for an excellent day for carving at Spirit Mountain. It's not very often that we fill a quad chair with carvers - bigwavedave, patroller Don, Nick, and I. Make that 5 carvers when we hooked up with khoward later in the afternoon. Good taste in equipment at the patrol equipment rack too!

Russ

post-868-0-01579000-1425597289_thumb.jpg

post-868-0-74799500-1425597737_thumb.jpg

Arrived in time for first tracks. Snow was noticeably different from Thursday, you could tell there had been some melting since then, as the groom was very firm and a little crunchy in spots, but still excellent carving. First run was in flat light, but the clouds quickly dispersed.  After about 1-2 hours, as it warmed up, snow started melting on the board and then became softer on the hill, but still nice carving (2-3" trenches).  Started to get down to the ice base on 4pipe where folks were scraping it off. I left a little after noon when it started getting harder to get a clean run and after having a close call with a very fast straight-line skier on Scissor Bill (I was looking uphill on every turn!).

Looks like a headlong rush into spring conditions this week. I might be back for more on Tuesday. Slush boards are in the car!

So glad we got out last Thursday. Likely the last we see of dry powdery snow til next season!

Russ and I are still planning a day trip over to Indianhead this Thursday.

Edited by bigwavedave

BWD - I started at noon today so must have missed you by just a few minutes.....I got in a couple of hours of carving by staying away from Fourpipe and keeping my eyes wide open. I took a break around 2:30; when I came back out at 3:45 areas in the shade were starting to set up hard, so I just cruised around until the 5pm close.

Russ

3-4" of groomed fine granular over the re-emerging ice base. Some brown spots on 4pipe, otherwise good coverage on all other runs (and less ice). Started out just above freezing at 10 AM and got up to over 50 degrees by 2pm. Snow started getting slow after a couple of hours. Rode 3 different boards, the 188 monster, the 180 Incline, and the 175 safari Rev, which is still king-of-the-hill.

post-2809-0-89970500-1426035772_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-32414200-1426035788_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-84598300-1426035825_thumb.jp