Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2014

khoward

There's a reliable rumor that our new Executive Director will be making a significant improvement to the previously announced change in operating hours very soon :)

OK, so you've piqued my interest (and the interest of a lot of other folks, no doubt)......when will we hear more?

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

First season's snow showers in the forecast for Duluth Friday night. Hauled the boat out last weekend at Spirit Lake Marina. Getting ready for winter. Enjoying hiking and biking the nearby trails while up working on the boat.

A view of Spirit Mt from the St Louis river trail:

post-8510-141842418627_thumb.jpg

And my quiver is ready; three of each--small, med and long , skinny on the left, and fat on the right:

post-8510-141842418641_thumb.jpg

Coiler Monster, 188, 23waist. A "little" something I picked up this summer from the BOL recycling center. I'm liking the float from these "fat" boards in soft snow and wanted a back-up for when the Delrossi decides to retire.

While up at the marina I had a couple of meals at the Spirit base chalet and ran into Hutch and others and they are also pleased that the hours are not cut as much as originally rumored.

Paul Huttner is hinting at possible polar vortex again this year. Yea? http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/

I'll be up at the boat Sunday to do some winterizing and hopefully some hiking in the hills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, you didn't miss much if you didn't get out today. Problems with the express chair forced everyone to C chair for the 1st hour or so. 4 runs open; 4pipe, scissorbill, bindlestiff and skyhooker. I was able to have a few nice runs on 4pipe, which was virtually empty before they got the express chair going, just had to cross the rough to scissorbill and to C chair. Otherwise, everywhere else and the rest of the day, the density of traffic made carving a challenge, even with the slalom board. Once the terrain park is built it will be a lot safer for carving! All the effort they put into building it is well worth it.

The snow was good, firm and consistent with good coverage. Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! Glad I got lucky at Wild on Thursday with no crowds or lift lines.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out both days this weekend - conditions have improved over the last two weeks - everything is open except Blue Ruin and the Terrain Park; Saturday morning was sunny with temps in the single digits and firm, today was partly sunny with temps in the 20's and a bit softer. Got busy Saturday but didn't feel crowded at all today, though I was on my way home by 11am both days. One of the changes introduced by the new hill management is the expectation that the patrol load at 8:45 and sweep the runs prior to the 9am opening.....since we work from the top chalet, that means we get two runs before the general public loads:biggthump.

This Thursday is the first weekday (12 - 8p). Regular hours starting on 12/19.

Russ

Got in a short session on Friday (12/12); flat light, good groom, temperature just above freezing, and not too busy. Ski Patrol shift on Saturday starting at 3pm; fog and light drizzle, but surprisingly good carving once the lights came on and most everybody else went home...so foggy and wet on Sunday that Spirit closed at 4pm......forecast is for one more day of above average temperature, then the remainder of the long range forecast looks good!

Russ

I was out last Thursday, Spirit's first weekday, before the warm-up/melt-down. 3-4" of new snow had been groomed in the morning, before the noon opening, making a plush corduroy carpet. Flat light kept me on the shorter radiused boards, with better visibility when the lights came on late afternoon. I'm going to remember the night option for riding those flat light days.

Interestingly, they have filled in and groomed the area between upper scissorbill and 4pipe, and removed the fencing, making for a bit of new carving terrain.

Fingers crossed for new snow tonight!  Might be up on Thursday to celebrate the return of the sun and winter! 

Turned from rain to snow Monday night while I was out for a toboggan training session, then the temperature dropped dramatically; it won't be plush, but I'm thinking you'll find the familiar 'firm' Spirit groom. I'd love to join you, but I need to retrieve my daughter (and several friends) from the UMinn tomorrow afternoon. I do plan to be out early both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Russ