Note to New Members ×

wtf15

west carven

snowreport: tue feb 17, 2015

howdy all

beautiful bluebird day and cooler temps. rode with my nephew and had a blast.

good grooming with cooler overnight temps, not so much carving just trying to

keep up with his young ripping style. groomers was good in the early morning,

hard in the morning then soft in the late afternoon, fast point and shoot kinda day.

sunny all day, but cooler temps and never felt warm, it was just right, goodtimes!.

and speaking of goodtimes had a halibut fish fry with angry rick and swalguy and

girlfriend for dinner. should be good again tomorrow. off piste not so good.

rode the 157sx from 9 till 3:30...

snowreport: wed feb 18, 2015

howdy all

with cooler overnight temps and slightly cooler yesterday the groomers are getting

better. smoother overall surface makes for fast groomers. its still icy granular that

breaks down like sand, still fun, but hard to hold an edge. super high thin clouds

that filtered the sun and kept things cool and dry. its getting thin down low and lifties

need to shovel snow to keep things running. 52 more days and i dont think we'll make

it if it doesn't snow. forcast is a chance of rain/snow friday, saturday. tomorrow should

be nice then rain/snow later in the day. another fun point and shoot day with the nephew.

rode the 157sx from 9 till 4...

snowreport: thu feb 19, 2015

howdy all

pretty much same as yesterday cruising most of the runs and staying off the off piste.

groomers are getting smoother with cooler temps. forcast is some snow this weekend

and i hope it does cause we really need it. everyone is hoping for a dumping march.

another fun point and shoot day with the nephew and i'm gonna miss him. it was good

to go all over and explore the whole mountain. next time he comes we can ride powder

and find all the powder stashes.

snowreport: sat feb 21, 2015

howdy all

snowed yesterday in the afternoon for a few hours, big mountain reported only 2 inches.

today nice and much cooler and kinda busy with alot of little kids. groomers are nice and

flat and the new snow helped, but got skied off fast and back to the old icy corn underneath.

started to get cloudy about noonish with very lite snow then back to sunny skies. then around

2pm the wind starts to blow from the north and it got stronger every lift ride up. it blew all the

skied off stuff and exposed the icy polished hardpack. tonight will be in the single digits and

windy. forcast alittle cool and clear then a chance of snow on wednesday.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon feb 23, 2015

howdy all

some clouds in the morning then the last few hours beautiful blue skies. again,

cooler temps made for some good groomers. big mountain was making snow all

day saturday and sunday and shut it down monday morning. there is big humpback

whales on skiers right down on ed's and bottom of toni matt. i was riding the small

board and carving the flat sections. was a fun day and pushed it kinda hard.

Well, I was planning on coming down for Brewfest, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should bother. Or maybe I should bring the mountain bike instead, and come and drink anyway .

I'll keep an eye on the conditions, but the current long range forecast has no significant snow in it. I'm almost ready to wax my boards and put them away. The mountain bikes went in to the shop this week, and if this weather holds, I might get the motorcycle out of storage. It's been a strange old winter ...

Edited by Allee

snowreport: tue feb 24, 2015

howdy all

really good groom on upper mully's and pretty good on lower ed's so stayed on chair 2

all day. rode the small board and it was a really fun day making tight turns. high clouds

then a half hour of sunshine after lunch. a little warmer than yesterday and compfy temps.

pushed hard and groomers stayed good all day making pencil thin lines. forcast is some

snow tomorrow...

snowreport: sat feb 28, 2015

howdy all

beautiful bluebird all day, but very cold, i could not get warm in the morning, was a

little warmer in the later afternoon, but still on the cold side. good groomers in the

morning than as it gets skied off the old snow breaks down like sand and underneath

is the polished ice and doesn't hold an edge so just sliding around. groomers are

getting buffed out smooth and people were bombing fast and i saw a guy and a girl

get hauled off the bottom of ptarmigan bowl within a half an hour later in the day.

also heard someone on the backside got hauled off too. forcast is colder artic air on

monday, tuesday with a slight chance of snow. did an hour of night skiing...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 5...

snowreport: mon mar 02, 2015

howdy all

high overcast above the summit made for flat lighting. nice quite morning, not much

people and calm conditions on the first few runs then just a few tiny flakes of snow.

the snow and the winds slowly builds through out the day, every chair ride was stronger

than the last. the snow dumped about an inch till 1:30, but the winds blew it around.

it was getting good then took my lunch break then as the winds kept blowing harder

it exposed the icy hardpack with soft deposits and it made it a challenging day. after 2pm

i dont know if it was still snowing or just the high winds blowing it around. it was nice

to see the snow again, but not much of it and most were blown off the groomers and

i dont think much of it will be groomed in. fun windy wintry day...

snowreport: tue mar 03, 2015

howdy all

beautiful bluebird day and cool temps. stayed on chair 2 cause it was really good groomers.

not much people and the groomers stayed good all day. it did not get bumped up at all, the

groom was still good at closing. rode the small board and was pooped by lunch time, but

kept going all day cause it will warm up by the weekend and it might be the last good day.

forcast is a warm up by the weekend... today pushed really hard and was a fun day...

snowreport: sat mar 07, 2015

howdy all

i think wednesday was good cause we had cooler overnight temps then it got slightly

warmer on thursday with blue skies and friday was really warm again with blue skies.

today cloudy in the morning and warm then sunny by noontime and hot then cloudy

the last hour. good carving in spots then as things soften up carved a little better.

snow conditions are like the last week of ski season, but we have another month.

if we don't get any new snow i think we will close early. forcast is above normal temps

all next week and no precipitation. ed's run had a youths ski leauge race. was a fun day.

snowreport: mon mar 09, 2015

howdy all

well, after yesterdays warm temps the snow got slushy and this morning it showed.

today hard frozen ice with bad grooming. sunny bluebird and warm compfy temps.

a few runs on the front ice then to the backside and it was nice groomers so made

a bunch of runs. then a few on the frontside as it softened up then had lunch and

back to the backside and it was still good. the frontside got really soft and with more

warm days to come i don't know how long it'll last. still some good carving and pushed

hard here and there. another fun day...

snowreport: tue mar 10, 2015

howdy all

just like yesterday, but backside not as good. same ice in the morning than slush

later in the day. sunny bluebird all day and the temp in town was 61 degrees for a

record high. with todays conditions it felt like the last day of ski season, but there's

still a month to go. with these temps it won't be long, there's alot of grass showing

and areas thats very thin. another week of warm temps and i think it's done. the past

week saw a lots of carnage on the hill...

snowreport: sat mar 14, 2015

howdy all

well, i stuck a fork in it and its done. very high clouds and looks like snow way out west.

soft in the morning cause temps are warm and it looked so sad with many brown snow

spots and lots of grass showing, had to weave thru and be careful with things sticking

out. the snow quality is really bad even on the backside. its been nice the past three

days and the warm temps is did its damage and now the forcast is rain and windy the

next couple of days. there is still 29 more days and i think the mountain has to close

early at some point. so today the rain makes its way about noon and drizzled a little

with the wind, it wasn't worth staying the whole day so had lunch and left. today is

only day 49 for me. i might try to go one more day before the mountain closes...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12...

snowreport: mon mar 16, 2015

howdy all

sorry closed

kinda over it

spent the day in kalispell. a breif light flurry as we left whitefish, actual snow.

heard from two people who went up in the morning said there was two inches

of cream. it was wet in the morning here in town and the mountain looked foggy

so i did not go up. i will go tomorrow and see how it is...

snowreport: tue mar 17, 2015

howdy all

a nice surprise today, a little cooler and snow most of the morning till noon then fog

moves in then more snow/rain in the later afternoon. clouds just above the big and

flat light all day. good carving in the morning on the backside and the top of the big.

chair 2 was closed due to many brown spots (grass showing) and the basin is closed 

too. the mountain is planning to stay open till the 12th and may have to download on

chair 1 and have only the backside open. they are crossing their fingers for more snow.

it was a fun day making some turns and called it around 3:30 cause i was getting wet.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3:30...

snowreport: sat mar 21, 2015

howdy all

weird day... super high clouds at opening,  nice warm temps, frontside frozen ice,

so to the backside which wasn't so bad. busy with the nate chute broadercross

race. some clouds move in with graupel for an half hour during my break at 11am.

then graupel down the frontside run then nice snow flakes halfway up to the top

then foggy then clear then looks like rain coming so i left at 2pm, but then the sun

comes out as i'm leaving. really old snow that has been thru many freeze thaw

cycles, and very close to bare bottom. chair 2 is still close with many bare spots.

three more weeks... today day51 for me and i'm kinda over it... forcast is sunny

sunday than rain monday and tuesday...

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 18, 2015

A belated report from Wednesday to highlight the fact that winter returned for at least one day. 

Two really, Thursday was good too. 

First real off-piste days in around 5 weeks. 

Finally a chance to hit the face, good med, freebird, flower point trees...

https://youtu.be/IWjoUIS9uDI

Edited by johnasmo

snowreport: mon mar 23, 2015

howdy all

wow! what a difference a day makes, today quite morning, high clouds just above

the big and starts to snow alittle then more, like a real winter day. cooler temps just

about freezing. snowed not quite an inch by 1pm and skied a little better. made a few

turns so it was worth being up. snow was weird crunchy early on then the new snow

kinda smooth things out. just before i left it was rain/snow in the village and dumping.

maybe it dumps all night so tomorrow might be good. bad grooming down low cause

it must have been slushy end of the day... i was getting soaked so called it at 2pm...

went for a paddle yesterday after work from 4:30 to 5:30pm...

howdy johnasmo

i can't believe i missed wednesday's powder it looked so good. thanks for the video

and pics update. there was no snow on the trees this morning from yesterday sunny

day.

snowreport: tue mar 24, 2015

howdy all

nice quite morning, not much people, light snow at opening, but not much and stops

early. a little more than a couple inches over groom and it was nice and smooth on top.

and bad grooming down low from slushy yesterday. everybody went straight to the

backside, but the frontside was really good till half way down so made a bunch of runs.

the bottom half really sucked, but got better as it softened up later in the day. it was

nice and dry all day and it called for rain and i was going to quit if it did, but the rain/snow

came as the mountain closed. it dumped as i was leaving the mountain at 4pm.

mostly point and shoot kinda day, just flying over the powder over groom, was a fun day...

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 28, 2015

howdy all

very early this morning about 2:30am heard some thunder and forcast was rain today.

so i did not go up, very wet, foggy in the morning, but got better by the afternoon. so

spent the day taking off the bindings and wiping down the boards and put them away.

still got the 157fp ready to go and the softies, theres still two more weeks...

it was very windy later in the day... i missed thursday's 5in. plus wet powder...

did not ride today...

snowreport: mon mar 30, 2015

howdy all

well, after not riding for five days i did not know what to expect, we had some wet snow

and some rain and some warm temps. it was warm this morning and i felt like what am

i doing, i should be paddling on the river, but i wanted to see how the mountain is doing.

sunny day and grooming was very bad down low and the backside was firm with death

cookies on most of the runs and a few areas that was good without them. very firm and

slowly softens-up then gets good for a couple hours then get too soft. did some frontside

runs and a few areas that was carveable so it was a fun day and made some good turns.

i wanted to stay all day, but it was getting very warm and was getting tired and hungry...

snowreport: tue mar 31, 2015

howdy all

dark threatening rain clouds ready to unleash just on the southend of town, but to the northwest

it looked like it was clearing. it didn't look good this morning and there was only a few drops as i

got on the mountain, the clouds looked like it was ready to dump, but it never rained. clouds moved

to the east and it was clearing to the west about 11am then the clouds lifted higher and it was nice.

then by 1pm clouds/fog just on the summit. stayed on the backside cause it was better. the bottom

of toni matt was not groomed cause its so thin i think they don't want to scrape it off. the little pitch

on silvertip was really smooth when it softened up and kept me happy, at least i was making some

decent carves. ski patrol was taking down the fencing on chair 6 and i'm thinking they will close it

off soon cause its getting so thin. it never rained, but i was so pooped i called it at 2pm. forcast is

chance of rain/snow every day for the next week, should get a little cooler...