Note to New Members ×

wtf15

west carven

snowreport: sat apr 04, 2015

Mix of snow, fog, grapple, sun...  typical spring day at the Big.

Rode new Coiler skinny, then hit brewfest in the village, a benefit for the snow bus.

Dumped grapple for a bit, then the sun came out.  Missed out on the dummy derby as I was busy drinking...

post-845-0-65337400-1428195580_thumb.jpg post-845-0-51912100-1428195587_thumb.jpg post-845-0-08500300-1428195594_thumb.jpg

snowreport: sat apr 04, 2015

howdy all

started the morning with lite snow and thought it would get a little wet, but it got cooler

and it snowed more and it dumped good wintery snowflakes till 11am. foggy most of the

morning then as i was going to lunch about 1:30pm when it starts to clear, so i did another

run, went to lunch at 1:45 till 2:15pm as i got back on the lift it was blue sky with clouds

behind me as i made a run down it was already foggy again. at 3:30pm johnasmo and i

was just about to load the lifts when they closed it for awhile because of reports of lightning.

a huge dark cloud from the west and dumping small hail/grauple for a half hour then the

sun comes out as i'm leaving at 4pm. not the best day for carving,  just working on my verts.

i stayed away from the brewfest. there was an accident near the road to the baselodge,

a car was in a steep wooded area about 25 feet in then a little further down a car with

a left rear flat tire and the side scraped and gouged. got home and it was nice and sunny.

forcast for monday is 80 percent rain/snow, but i got a dental appointment.

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 3:30...

snowreport: mon apr 06, 2015

howdy all

dental appointment today so did not go up, of course it snowed all morning here in town.

made the appointment before the season started and thought the 5th was the last day.

could have changed it, but with this sucky season thought it might end early, oh well.

still, you know me, gotta go every chance i get. with todays snow and cooler temps

tomorrow should be good and the forcast is sunhine. after tomorrow i got the weekend.

it dumped really nice snowflakes this morning and looked like winter.

did not ride today...

snowreport: tue apr 07, 2015

howdy all

wow what a great day. yesterday's new snow really helped and there was a couple

inches of pow over groom. the top half was better and the lower half not so good.

mostly sunny and a few clouds rolled thru, it got warm when the sun was out.

did new cut all day, that little pitch had the best snow and ptarmigan was a little

soft. second time down ptarmigan i booted out on my toeside and my back binding

popped open, lucky it was soft and i stopped quick. new cut stayed good all day

and i kept making laps, but the bottom half was not fun when it got soft. i was pooped

by 2:30pm so did a run in the back just to rest and i see this guy on a factory prime

asym and reactors, he was just crusing around. anyways, carved hard and had a

blast, today was good. work the next three days then i got the last weekend.

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 4...

snowreport: sat apr 11, 2015

howdy all

after three day of work and mostly sunny days it took its toll on the big. much more bare

spots and places just barely covering the lower mountain. today it was mostly cloudy all

day with huge puffy clouds that brought lite snow now and then and some sunshine in the

afternoon. the top half on the frontside never got soft with cooler temps and the cold wind

that got stronger as the day progressed. polished ice up high and spring corn down low.

some good carving on the backside in the morning then just working on my verts on the front.

watched a couple of pondskimmers at the end of the day. crappy conditions, but it was a

nice day and i'm gonna miss the mountain and all the usual suspects, it's always fun to

be with people who love to slide around... tomorrow is the last day of the season.

rode the 157fp from 9:30 till 4...

snowreport: sun apr 12, 2015

howdy all

woohoo! another season has come to an end. with cooler overnight temps the

groomers was better than yesterday's chunky ice that got crushed down and

buffed out smooth. the frontside stayed very firm, but the backside was really

good considering it's the last day. silvertip was the run of the day so made many

laps there. cloudy all morning than some sun in the afternoon and the wind

picks up. looks like snow was falling all around us, but we didn't get any, it was

a nice day on the cooler side. got about ten chairs before last chair and watched

them shut the lifts down. today was good and pushed hard all day. not the best

season but we had some good days. january 5th we had the best powday in

many seasons, over a foot of the best quality snow, it was epic, but after that

it got warm and stayed warm and barely made it thru the season. well, it's time

to change gears so see you all next season...

• 2 weeks later...

snowreport: wed apr 22, 2015

Put a fork in it; it's done.  Ptarmigan bowl and the face still ride fine, but from the bench down the entertainment is just in seeing how many patches you can connect to get down.  It is nice to be riding snow in 60 degree weather, but this level of melt off is a month earlier than most seasons.  I posted a video of Monday's conditions on the Whitefish Videos thread.