Note to New Members ×

Visiting Vancouver next week

Dan

Hello Vancouver carvers, I'm going to be visiting your lovely city this weekend and next week. Is anyone up for meeting for a beer on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday (August 3-5)?

Also, I'll be in Whistler the second half of next week - does anyone know of a shop they would recommend for MTB rental? I'm pretty much a beginning mountain biker, so definitely do not need a monster downhill bike: probably looking for an XC-oriented dual suspension.

I've never mtb'ed there but my wife has. The shops will find you before you find them. Lots of variety for all levels and ages of riders. Have you included a vist to Prior snowboards while you are there ?

Yeah, I guess finding a MTB rental shop should not be too hard :). I've been there once before, so I'm going to skip the Prior visit this trip. I'd only be tempted to sort through their sale rack...

Dan, I'm out of Van, but drop a message to Roy (Carving Scooby) and the boys, to join their slalom skate session on the weekend.

Thanks BlueB! I'm not so sure about jumping in a slalom skate session: it's been about 8 years since I skated much, I sucked at it then, and I've never ridden a slalom skateboard. But I'm bad at learning from past mistakes, so I might check it out anyway, it depends on how lucky I feel :)

I rented a full DH bike (and helmet/pads) from the shop right at the base a few years ago. Didn't even explore other options; it was the 'easy' button. Go for the big DH bike, you won't be doing any climbing anyway so you might as well have some fun. You don't need to go megaspeed to have fun on one! Plus, I don't have a DH bike so it was a nice change.

It's like ski trails; you can pick your difficulty by the green, blue, or black colors. We had a blast even on the blue runs! We looked at a black diamond run and suddenly felt very old/mortal so we went down another way. ;)

Pay attention to how others load bikes on the lift as you're waiting in line. It's not hard once you've seen it done a few times but the pressure is definitely on to get it right as the rack comes around!

I rented a full DH bike (and helmet/pads) from the shop right at the base a few years ago. Didn't even explore other options; it was the 'easy' button. Go for the big DH bike, you won't be doing any climbing anyway so you might as well have some fun. You don't need to go megaspeed to have fun on one! Plus, I don't have a DH bike so it was a nice change.

It's like ski trails; you can pick your difficulty by the green, blue, or black colors. We had a blast even on the blue runs! We looked at a black diamond run and suddenly felt very old/mortal so we went down another way. ;)

Pay attention to how others load bikes on the lift as you're waiting in line. It's not hard once you've seen it done a few times but the pressure is definitely on to get it right as the rack comes around!

I'm more or less a roadie (though that suggests I ride a lot more than I actually do), so according to my non-cardio-loving acquaintances my perception of fun is broken. Is it so wrong to say that the climbs are as much fun as the descents? :)

At any rate, I want to ride some non-lift-served trails too, so I won't go full-on DH for a rental. Any dual suspension feels super-plush to me anyway because my own MTB is an antique hardtail. Thanks for the tip on loading bikes on the chair - I've never done it, and wouldn't have thought about that on my own. It would be just as embarrassing as missing the chair in winter...

Hey Dan, have fun on your trip. Is Doggy going with you?

Need a doggy home while you travel?

Hey Bryan, thanks for the offer -- he's staying with my folks this week, but I will definitely hit you up another time. I should let you know that he's a little neurotic -- can't be left alone -- so it's kind of a time suck to dog sit him. We're pretty short of friends who can take that on, so if you're still interested, that would be great -- we're going to a family wedding in September that my parents are also attending, so need to find another place for him for that weekend...

Hey Bryan, thanks for the offer -- he's staying with my folks this week, but I will definitely hit you up another time. I should let you know that he's a little neurotic -- can't be left alone -- so it's kind of a time suck to dog sit him. We're pretty short of friends who can take that on, so if you're still interested, that would be great -- we're going to a family wedding in September that my parents are also attending, so need to find another place for him for that weekend...

Sounds like an introduction would be good. There is always good beer in the frig and fire in the pit! Bryan