Note to New Members ×

new board advice

boidy77

fellow carvers!

would appreciate some advice as am looking to buy a new board. im a big unit, 6ft 7" 230lbs ' big foot and only ride hardboots. already have a carving board so was thinking something more all mountain/powder. something that is wide,fairly stiff and wont break the bank. i live in australia which means i also have to pay fairly large shipping costs.

boards i have found which could be suitable include never summer raptor x.

any recommendations or advice would be appreciated!

I'm 195cm and 111kg myself... I've yet to find an off the shelf board that wasn't a noodle with one exception. The older Rad-Airs had some stiffness. My 2 cents get a custom board and work to find the lowest shipping costs.

Edited by lonbordin
Beware advice from those under 220 lbs., just sayin'.

appreciate the options! will look into them. would love to go custom but it aint cheap. have been looking at various custom options but there is nothing under 1k. maybe the best option is to save.....

A new custom Coiler is $850-ish Canadian. Of course there's shipping and import duties/taxes on top of that. And if you go crazy with options the price goes up from there.

Having said that, I'd look at a Donek Hazelwood or Nomad if you're looking for a powder board. I haven't seen a negative review of either.

Edited by corey_dyck

If you go the used route consider a 185cm Rossignol Undertaker/ Big Gun. I'm 200+ lbs and ridden the crap out of it. They hold up well to hardboot abuse and are a decent carver too. The last two I found were about $250.00. They are 24.5cm wide and have about a 12m sidecut.

Originally posted by Corey_Dyck

"Having said that, I'd look at a Donek Hazelwood or Nomad if you're looking for a powder board. I haven't seen a negative review of either."

===============================================

Agree. Donek's site also says ". . . custom dimensions consistent with this construction available . . . " - at the same price (!). Given your size, that may be worth looking into.

Two words Hazelwood custom.

Talk to Sean Martin at Donek

I'd second this suggestion. I haven't ridden the Raptor X but was disappointed in the max length of 169. I just took delivery of a Donek Hazelwood 200. I'm 6'3", 195 lbs, size 13 soft boots. I came off a Lib Tech Skunk Ape HP ultrawide 170 (28.5 wide). Fun, lively board, but chattery at speed, and I don't think I'd trust it in hard boots. I had the Donek built at 28.7 width, slightly stiffer than typical for soft boots. It's frightening. Didn't think I ordered the hyperdrive option. It gets moving quickly. It pounds through everything and has plenty of pop between turns. And lays down a nice line, though I don't know if I'd be considered a competent carver. No regrets.