Note to New Members ×

How long do race boards last?

dangerboy

I just dusted off a red '94 Rossignal 167 Race board after a few (too) many years of storage. This is a foam-core board with some sort of metal layer. It's old-school, with crazy full-length camber. It's a 'GS' board, which means a mellow entry/exit with a medium sidecut. I have no idea it's exact radius...

... And... After a few hours worth of runs, (legs are not in race shape), it has to still be my favorite board EVER!

Keep an eye open this spring. I just got my $139 pass for Mt Hood Meadows and will try and lay down a few more miles...

Maybe this Friday if the temps do get above freezing before.

Yhea... Foam sounds a bit sketchy... But this was a legit race board in '94. The board rides great! Rossi used foam in skis for years (maybe they still do?)....

I've also got a Hot Blast, circa '96?, It's a race slalom board that could double as a leaf-spring on a mega dump truck... It's got some pop! I take this out only when I have maximum confidence (a.k.a. nearly never).

I want a new board, but I'll need to figure out how to demo something. Maybe next year's demo sponsored by bomber?... Never been, but sounds like fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by dangerboy

Yhea... I doubled as a snowboard engineer for a few years before the turn of the century (maybe '98). The core gives you the thickness you need for the top and bottom sheets to give you the flex profile you want. I've seen the foam used outside the board, it's not your tail-gate ice-cooler foam. It's pretty dense, and wood colored.

But, if this foam starts to break down it's bond to the top/bottom sheet, then I expect to get some funky flex? But, I'm not expecting anything catastrophic?

That reminds me of a Burton PJ6 or 7 board I had... might have been my first 'race' board... Asym... This is back in the day before the 4-hole pattern was standard. Burton was using some 3-hole schema and I had to drill my own inserts for some binding that resembled an oil-refinery seen from a distance. I was a ski tech at a shop at the time and did it myself in a jiffy.

... all was good until my front binding 100% ripped out of the board at Mach 0.8 (I was a bit more fearless back then)... not fun... Somehow I walked away with two legs, amazing considering that they had two agenda's during the yard-sale...

sorry... just had this 'remember when...' moment...

Good advice.... The trick is what new board to get? I've scanned the various reviews, but I really need to try for myself... So, I'll be rocking my oldies until I can find a demo day... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could spend the rest of your life reading reviews and then the rest of your after- life deciding upon what reviews are legitimate based on the riders actual skills. I remember once, a rider had made a review on the Madd 158(Original) and said that it sucked (for lack of better words). He talked the lingo, his review sounded legit for anyone that may have read it. The reality was that he sucked and his skills could not maximize the boards potentials or make it work correctly. Make it easy on yourself, go American-- Donek. Should you decide elsewhere, I'm sure you will still be happy as most of the decks made today will perform better than the old stuff--99 percent of the time.

nice... I was reading a lot about Kessler boards after watching Vic Wild rule the ruts in Sochi... but the crazy variable sidecuts and rocker has me on my heels about what size to ride.

I just checked out Donek... hmmmm looks good!... damn... they all look good!

maybe ignorance is bliss? I haven't ridden anything new in quite some time, so I don't yet know what I'm missing... I'm heading up to Mt. Hood Meadows tomorrow, I'll be on some sort hard-plate deck that is pushing 20 years old (probably the Rossi)... I'll have a big smile on my face and burn in the quads...

nice... I was reading a lot about Kessler boards after watching Vic Wild rule the ruts in Sochi... but the crazy variable sidecuts and rocker has me on my heels about what size to ride.

I just checked out Donek... hmmmm looks good!... damn... they all look good!

maybe ignorance is bliss? I haven't ridden anything new in quite some time, so I don't yet know what I'm missing... I'm heading up to Mt. Hood Meadows tomorrow, I'll be on some sort hard-plate deck that is pushing 20 years old (probably the Rossi)... I'll have a big smile on my face and burn in the quads...

If you are just carving, dont buy a Kessler. You dont need it and yea the new sidecuts suck ass for freecarving. You dont need a plate either.

The Rossis were damned good boards at the time, and still hold up pretty well if they haven't been totally ridden to death. Expect it to lose its "pop" quite fast if it hasn't already, but that doesn't stop it being fun anyway, it just reduces the amount of air you'll get on fast edge changes.

Personally, I prefer the Hot Blasts to the Rossis, though. I completed my set again just before the season started; a 176 that I bought for the parts on the bindings (hey, 25 euros, can't go wrong, right?), but turned out to be a bloody good board in its own right, in far better nick than the one I had before (it died due to a big coreshot / edge rip out). Shame that I've since buggered my back and hard carving on a snowboard tweaks my discs just that little bit too much. Skwal and skis appear to be OK, though, so it's not a total loss season.

Howdy dangerboy, you should pop in to the Mt. Hood ride board and say hello!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?40653-Mt-Hood-Meadows-Ride-Board-2013-2014/page5

I have some boards you could demo that are a bit newer than what you're riding now, but alas no new Doneks. Having said that, I have ridden the Donek Metal FC and it is a great board / you wouldn't go wrong with one of those. If you're really interested, you might be able to have Donek mail you a demo board if you cover the shipping -- I think they prefer to do that when there will be a session where multiple people demo, but as we push later in the season, they might be more willing to send a demo for one or two riders.

Edited by Dan
Oops, "dangerboy" not "dangerboard"

Howdy dangerboy, you should pop in to the Mt. Hood ride board and say hello!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?40653-Mt-Hood-Meadows-Ride-Board-2013-2014/page5

I have some boards you could demo that are a bit newer than what you're riding now, but alas no new Doneks. Having said that, I have ridden the Donek Metal FC and it is a great board / you wouldn't go wrong with one of those. If you're really interested, you might be able to have Donek mail you a demo board if you cover the shipping -- I think they prefer to do that when there will be a session where multiple people demo, but as we push later in the season, they might be more willing to send a demo for one or two riders.

I second that advice!! We have a small but knowledgeable group of alpine riders that frequent MHM. I may be there too.

If you want to ride with me you need to get there EARLY. I like first chair and I generally NEED to ride, so "Talk on the chair" is my motto :) I have a few boards you are welcome to try also. If I go I will keep an eye out for you.

Bryan

PS. Welcome to BOL!!

I see you are on Bomber TD3s. What binding spacing do you use? Cants? If you can ride 20" center to center stance and 3/3 degree cants. I can bring an extra board or two for you to try. You can put your "Tops" on quickly. Just don't expect me to do it when I am about to leave the truck for the lift. Starting to get the jest :)

Once I am riding I am not going to want to stop for a few runs either. Suggestion? Turn your email "PM" function on so we can make arrangements.

IDEALLY? You get there at 8am like I do, come over , grab a board, go to your rig put your bindings on then meet back at the lift to chat prior to loading. I have a really sweet Nidecker 170cm , several longer Doneks, etc, etc. Just sold off a dozen board, bindings, boots in the past month.

Not to mention if Mike Tinkler comes, you could meet one of the premier snowboard builders in the world. He is super chill and allot of fun to ride with. (if you can keep up:)) Bryan

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

I've got my spring pass. I'll be up at Meadows tomorrow (Friday) as long as my desk at work doesn't catch on fire (you never know). However, I might not get there too much before 9:30am. Ummm... ok... maybe I can try to wake up a bit earlier?

Assuming I'm late, what chair are you most often spotted on? I like the 'left' from the Vista chair. Sometimes the 'right' exiting off Hood Express chair.

I would be super stoked to see another hard-booter! I feel a little alien out there these days.

I am using cants that came with the bindings... not much, but feels right..., I'm not sure of my spacing... I would love to try a new(er) board, but it doesn't need to be tomorrow if the timing is off. I've missed a few (too) many seasons in a row and I'm am just super stoked to be riding again,... old boards and all!

Edited by dangerboy

Please turn on your PM . EMAIL!!

Just talked to Mike, we will be going if the weather is good. We do use the recreation radios , 13-20 on Motorola.

I am about to post on the ride board. Please follow me there.

PS. Might be putting together an "Unveiling" of my new board this Sunday at my place. Might be a chance to meet some local alpine people.

Bryan

Please turn on your PM . EMAIL!!

Just talked to Mike, we will be going if the weather is good. We do use the recreation radios , 13-20 on Motorola.

I am about to post on the ride board. Please follow me there.

PS. Might be putting together an "Unveiling" of my new board this Sunday at my place. Might be a chance to meet some local alpine people.

Bryan

If you are just carving, dont buy a Kessler. You dont need it and yea the new sidecuts suck ass for freecarving. You dont need a plate either.

This year I went from a similar vintage Oxygen board to one of Bruce's Nirvana balance boards. I can not comment on Kessler or suspension plates but will speak to the new sidecuts.

It took a few rides to figure out the variable sidecut! On my 1st day I almost regretted buying my "dream board" without riding one 1st. My riding was very tenative and quite a step back from what I was used to. This was obvious to my wife who commented on how badly I was riding. "you dont look like yourself. It looks like you are going to fall or crash into something. Is your board broken?" I probably would have taken my Oxy along on the next day to regain confidence but only have one binding so I couldnt easily switch off between the boards.

5 days in there is no chance that my old board will ever be ridden again!!! My riding has improved greatly by embracing the new variable sidecut I have more control of my carving. All of my riding i freecarve in variable terrain.

Now I need to learn about (buy and try) suspension plates! Bruce says my board isnt right for a plate so I guess I will need to get another one.

Edited by neanderthol

This year I went from a similar vintage Oxygen board to one of Bruce's Nirvana balance boards. I can not comment on Kessler or suspension plates but will speak to the new sidecuts. It took a few rides to figure out the variable sidecut! On my 1st day I almost regretted buying my "dream board" without riding one 1st. My riding was very tenative and quite a step back from what I was used to. This was obvious to my wife who commented on how badly I was riding. "you dont look like yourself. It looks like you are going to fall or crash into something. Is your board broken?" I probably would have taken my Oxy along on the next day to regain confidence but only have one binding so I couldnt easily switch off between the boards. 5 days in there is no chance that my old board will ever be ridden again!!! My riding has improved greatly by embracing the new variable sidecut I have more control of my carving. All of my riding i freecarve in variable terrain. Now I need to learn about (buy and try) suspension plates! Bruce says my board isnt right for a plate so I guess I will need to get another one.
The new side cuts were bred for racing not free carving and tend to want to turn down the fall line more so than across. If your style is more like a racer when you carve than it may be better for you. I can still make my 9.1m sidecut radius out carve a newer radius board. Plates are gay.

The new side cuts were bred for racing not free carving and tend to want to turn down the fall line more so than across. If your style is more like a racer when you carve than it may be better for you. I can still make my 9.1m sidecut radius out carve a newer radius board. Plates are gay.
I strongly disagree. I went from a single-sidecut Coiler AM to a variable sidecut Nirvana and was instantly comfortable and have no problem going across the fall line. The Nirvana line is built for free-carving, not racing. I have seen a number of people tear it up on boards with variable sidecut.

dangerboy, my recommendation is that you call up Sean or Bruce and have a chat about what you are looking for in a board. They can make a recommendation. If you get the chance to demo a few in the meantime, all the better.

I strongly disagree. I went from a single-sidecut Coiler AM to a variable sidecut Nirvana and was instantly comfortable and have no problem going across the fall line. The Nirvana line is built for free-carving, not racing. I have seen a number of people tear it up on boards with variable sidecut. dangerboy, my recommendation is that you call up Sean or Bruce and have a chat about what you are looking for in a board. They can make a recommendation. If you get the chance to demo a few in the meantime, all the better.
I have not been impressed with what I have seen except from a select few.

Rather inappropriate term to describe an excellent carving tool. Could be considered offensive to some.

Lowrider,

My apologies if you were offended as the post was not made to offend anyone or directed at anyone. To even think that a plate could..well..nevermind. Dont turn it into something it's not.

I could say that your screen name is offensive to some but I wont go there. The main thing is that we all have fun as I can not take that away from anyone regardless of their side cut.

I guess I dont know what you mean by new side cuts - If it is as I assumed that you meant variable radius sidecuts then you are mis-informed as there are good reasons to have a freecarver with VSR! If you meant something else then I appologize in advance.

" If your style is more like a racer when you carve than it may be better for you. I can still make my 9.1m sidecut radius out carve a newer radius board." Pray tell what you mean when you speak of this carving? I have seen a few racers and they damn sure can carve! By what metric are you out carving a newer radius board? Do you mean tighter turns? laying down as in your icon?

Perhaps it is as simple as you just like a short radius board which by the way is a shorter radius than the Sword guys who EXTREMEcarve.

As far a gay - I dont have plate experience but I am sure after riding my board that It isnt straight because it just doesnt want to go that way. Actually I was thinking that it was bi because it seems to get action wherever it goes, in all conditions and seems to please everyone and of course turns equally both ways.

Edited by neanderthol