Note to New Members ×

Sochi Olympics PSL

snowmatic

Vic Wild again No 1 after elimination round.

He finished qualification runs as the fastest of all.

We saw again some nice carving runs with less drifting-in. Sochi offers a sunny deep blue morning sky for that.

But again a lot of slope workers had to prepare slope to the best after every run. There was a very grippy 100 % artifical snow. We must hope slope doesn't break in like we had on PGS Sochi race. Rider talked they never had such difference of snow conditions between qualifications and finals since many season on tour, like here at Sochi.

Unfortunately not one single Canadian girl will enter the finals.

JJA and lucky Lambert (same time like an Austrian rider) are qualified.

Reiter from USA is diqualified, so no US riders on PSL finals.

German rider Bussler was with Intec step in bindings on the race.

First heat on final runs is: Vic Wild --- Michael Lambert

Edited by snowmatic

1. V. Wild 0:00:57.960

2. Z. Kosir 0:00:58.920

3. L. Mathies 0:00:58.930

4. B. Karl 0:00:58.950

5. P. Bussler 0:00:59.010

6. S. Schoch 0:00:59.080

7. N. Galmarini 0:00:59.130

8. K. Fluetsch 0:00:59.380

9. R. Fischnaller 0:00:59.430

9. S. Dufour 0:00:59.430

11. A. March 0:00:59.440

12. R. Marguc 0:00:59.520

13. A. Prommegger 0:00:59.580

14. S. Baumeister 0:00:59.720

15. J. Anderson 0:00:59.770

16. M. Lambert 0:00:59.800

16. A. Unterkofler 0:00:59.800

18. M. Morison 0:00:59.960

19. Y. Penyak 0:01:00.170

20. C. Mick 0:01:00.220

21. R. Yankov 0:01:00.240

22. R. Flander 0:01:00.300

23. B. Shin 0:01:00.320

24. A. Bergmann 0:01:00.600

25. M. Erlacher 0:01:00.620

26. S. Kim 0:01:02.350

27. A. Sobolev 0:01:02.700

Vic Wild starts finals with incredibel acceleration on his first gates! He is again on his allflex plate.

Boccacini (Italia) is now on 1/4 finals. She ride Rabanser snowboards, with Bomber bindings on.

Zogg on (new?) white colored Kessler K-Plate.

Lambert is now out.

JJA is out now too.

Very unlucky games for the Canada riders on PGS and PSL this Year in the East.

Edited by snowmatic

Well, where all that "Detkov's" have been on PSL race?

They ride drunken by Wodka? A rider from Ukraine was listet way higher, than all orgin Russian snowboarder!

SOBOLEV Andrey, KOLEGOV Valery, DETKOV Stanislav had been on the last 4 rank at the end of the list.

Even on PGS there was only one orgin Russian snowboarder on the finals.

So it sounds very strange, Russia needs foreign snowboarders (Vic Wild did a change vew time ago to russia in case of financial reasons) for to go for gold or any medals.

As I saw all the Russians on Worldcup race podiums the last Years, I thought Russians start to learn how to ride a snowboard. But they have not be able to make a good show on the Olympic games in Sochi now.

In stead of that, an American rider take both alpine snowboarding gold medals. Thats realy amazing!

You know, alpine snowboarding was never that popular in the US, like in Europe and more than a decade before US alpine riders have been nobodys on slalom races. If you take the world ranking list from snowboardranking.com best US rider on Duel slalom was then on rank 75 only. Finnland an Australian riders had been than way better.

I think you are correct sir funding in Canada dried up after the 2010 games and was increased for the athletes with the best prospects for 2014. Gov't tried to off- load to private supporters but with current economy only deep pockets like Canadian Tire, Coke, Royal Bank and McDonalds got on board. If you want support for Alpine boarding look to companies that do trade with Korea and get on board early. Subaru is heavily involved in skiing adds in Canada perhaps Kia auto would be a good target for Alpine snowboarding.

I think you are correct sir funding in Canada dried up after the 2010 games and was increased for the athletes with the best prospects for 2014. Gov't tried to off- load to private supporters but with current economy only deep pockets like Canadian Tire, Coke, Royal Bank and McDonalds got on board. If you want support for Alpine boarding look to companies that do trade with Korea and get on board early. Subaru is heavily involved in skiing adds in Canada perhaps Kia auto would be a good target for Alpine snowboarding.

I think it was dry for quite some time before that... Here's an excerpt from Mark Fawcett's interview here in 2000:

BOL: Who gets your deepest gratitude?

MF: "(list of thank-yous) And if I get to give a big bird up to someone, basically it's Sport Canada for all the nothing they've done for me, f*&% you guys. (laughter) I'm yet another story of a Canadian athlete not supported. For how big or how popular or how wealthy or however you want to scale Canada in the western world, we are right in there with third world countries for athletic support. It's really too bad. The more I think about it lately I think man, I ought to write a book. Everyone can write a book, everyone has incredible tales, but I just look at my list of **** that we've done and gone through and places we've slept... it would make Cool Runnings look like luxury! Half the time I wouldn't even realize it at the time, but looking back on it I can't believe it. Like the time I spent in Winter Park in the back of my friggin' camper, minus thirty nights, poaching electricity from someone's condo that we climbed up two stories with an extension cord, and that was for a number of weeks, and I didn't think anything of it. That was the fall before the Olympics! Hostetter was in his old old Toyota Dolphin, and I was in my camper, you know, that goes on the back of a pick-up... it's pretty classic. I have a million stories just like that. We're not the spoiled rich pro's that people might think. The money that we do bring in goes straight to the expenses. There were a couple years where I did quite well, I had a good Sims contract and another with Fila. I was able to save up enough to put a down payment on this place in Tahoe, but now it's like a friggin' fraternity, I've got so many people living here just so I can keep up with the mortgage! (laughter) But man, if you're Canadian, don't expect any help from the government or the taxes that your parents pay that are supposed to go towards this sort of stuff. It's funny because the population is very supportive, I get a lot of letters from people telling me they're proud. Canadians are very proud of their athletes, they love to watch their athletes, but no one's putting into it. I mean we may as well be some religious fundamentalist country that doesn't give a **** about sports and doesn't put any money into it at all! It's really frustrating. Sometimes I say what the f... I mean I'm doing it 'cause I love it but this is ridiculous. Last year I was in the hole. I'm still trying to pay off the credit cards for last year. And that's the story for most of the guys on the tour. I've been kinda one of the top guys on the tour; I won two world cup events last year and I still ended up in the hole. But I still do it 'cause I just love it so much."

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Bomberfiles/mfawcett_interview.html

Sochi podium gear overview / 12x (PGS & PSL / W & M)

Boards:

1. Kessler: (all gold medals)

2. SG:

3. Oxess:

4. Black-Pearl:

Plates:

1. Allflex: (3x gold)

2. Vist:

3. SG:

4. K-plate: (1x gold)

5. homebrew:

Bindings:

1. F2-Titanium:

2. F2-CNC:

3. ACT-Gear:

4. homebrew:

Boots:

1. Northwave .950: (2x gold)

2. Deeluxe: (Track 700, 325, Free69 / gold)

3. Dalbello Krypton: (gold)

4. UPZ RC10: (bronze)

So UPZ's seems to be very exotic snowboard hardboots!

Edited by snowmatic