Note to New Members ×

glove/mitt durability

Donek

I've heard of guys using the same rubber you dip tool handles into.

Yup - the best (Plasti-Dip?). I dipped each finger of my gloves in just about an inch, hung 'em to dry with pencils wrapped in duct tape to keep the fingers separated. Haven't replaced the gloves in 6 years, but they do need a re-coat now. Used to go through at least a pair a year. I use it to dab on to repair small tears to. :-)

I found some NP1 , a full tube. I did a recent pair of mitts with removable liners that have a wrist guard. They were new this year and already needed it. So I really did almost the whole glove. 1/2 a tube for the set. Then saved 2 more pair of old favorites that had big holes. I will see what happens, but I have used NP1 before many times on metal roofs, it lasts a very long time and remains flexible, bonds like true rubber. On your fingers for a week.

Edited by RobertAlexander
added pics

Thanks for all the input guys. I have been unable to get the sikaflex locally and rapid inexpensive shipping makes it pretty pricey. I am trying Geoffs suggestion on the Gorilla tape for SES. Luckily I can make the attempt on my old gloves and see how it bonds and holds up.

I had never known of those purpose-designed glove protectors until now. It seems like few retailers carry them, however, unless they happen to be near a ski area with a bunch of rope tows nearby. Paying $9.95 to have a $12.95 item shipped to me is unappealing. I generally ride with the Thor gloves, but they aren't great in extreme cold. I have a nice pair of $150 Burton AK mittens, but even when coated with spray-on Plasti-Dip I fear that I could easily ruin them.

Has any one had good luck with simply cutting the fingers off of a cheap size XL work glove to make a protector?

Hello, Sean. Long time no see nor talk. I've moved back to CO with my wife in tow. So good to be back home. I oughta head out to your factory whenever I fix my husky dirt bike and hit Watkin track.

Back to the topic of durable gloves, I'm not sure if this would be relevant to your question, however as a former employee of Vail, I swear on those Elk Skin leather gloves. They are ... my god ... so durable. Extremely durable. Get the one with linen on if you're considering it.

I can't remember the name but if you want, I can go look it up and tell you?

The Downing gloves hold up well here in the East. Durability was better than any of the Level gloves for me. We often have lots of abrasive, man made old snow.

I would aim towards not touching the snow before I made my gloves look like clown hands.

To get to that goal quickly, leave your gloves off for a few runs.

The Downing gloves hold up well here in the East. Durability was better than any of the Level gloves for me. We often have lots of abrasive, man made old snow.

I would aim towards not touching the snow before I made my gloves look like clown hands.

To get to that goal quickly, leave your gloves off for a few runs.

I do my best to keep my hands out of the snow, but It's tough in a crash (I seem to do that too often) Most of the damage seems to come when I'm not sliding down the hill on my snowboard, but on my pants or jacket.

I do my best to keep my hands out of the snow, but It's tough in a crash (I seem to do that too often) Most of the damage seems to come when I'm not sliding down the hill on my snowboard, but on my pants or jacket.

..never seen you crash... at all.

I've had good luck extending the life of my snowboard gloves and kayaking/rafting gear with McNett's Aquaseal, It's a urethane adhesive like shoe goo that bonds well, and holds up to abrasion very well. You can find it in REI and EMS, but you'll find larger tubes in dive shops for wet suit repair for about $20.00, I always have a tube in my freezer for repairs.

Level Flys bought here two years ago, holding up well with some help from glued-on webbing and black polyurethane sealant (similar to Sikaflex or 3M 5200) on the fingertips. I replaced the loop velcro a couple of weeks ago as it was shot, but they are still warm and stay pretty dry - most moisture that gets in seems to be dragged in by my hands after fiddling with a camera or something. I think they have at least a couple of years left in them at ~30 days of snowboarding per. They seem to protect my wrists well, but the left brace bears on my watch strap hard sometimes. The reinforced pads are really sticky on hard snow - damn near left my arm behind the first time I touched!