Note to New Members ×

What size liners did your UPZ RC10's come with??

slayermtb

Have you used/molded the liners? If not, I would be willing to bet that if you called Dan, he would exchange the liners. Remember that a 26 shell is the maximum size for a range of liners... meaning that if your mondo point is 25.25, you need to buy a 26 shell. It sounds like your at the top end of the shell and the liners are mid range for the shell's capacity. Or maybe I'm full of it!!! I don't use the Flow liners. Buy the boots, toss the liners in the closet and put Intuitions in them. Wish I could buy just the shells. Love the boots!

If you ordered a 26, that would put you in the 287-mm sole-length boot. I bought a used pair of the next size up (299 mm) last year and a previous owner had already swapped out the original liners for Intuitions, which were size 9 US. In your size 26, I would've expected a size 8 liner.

Incidentally, I found these particular Intuitions way too stiff for me at 160 lbs. Replaced the black tongues with red - still too stiff. Put the old liners from my AF600s in my UPZs - now it's the perfect flex for me.

Alright, this is a little weird. I have RC-10 (gray color) and they are size 5.5-6.5 (266-287) and they came with 61/2 size liners. I am assuming they are the flow liners, not really sure how to tell. As said before, and you already know, the shells cover a range of sizes. I would think it is more important to get the right size liners to match your foot size and get the best molding.

Guys, you are going to go mental over this. The sizing thing is using like 3 different measuring systems. A Euro size is different than a Mondo-MP size is different than a US size. Im a MP27 foot and the 287 shell was too small for me, went to the 299. My shoes are a 10,5 and I received flo liners that say 8 and they fit.

Most important.....Do the 5.5 marked liners fit you?

Edited by Bobby Buggs

Does the shell fit? If not, return for the next size up. The one you have is intended to fit feet up to 26 cm, according to the chart posted in this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?35780-Question-for-UPZ-users. But what it actually fits depends on foot shape, support, liner used, and any shell modifications.

If the shells do fit correctly, there are apparently three Flo liner sizes that you could use in it, and the one you have is the least roomy (that is, the thickest). Does it work? If not, perhaps you can exchange for a larger size. They do exist, as mbedle has the roomiest ones for that shell.

Thanks for all your input.

The 5.5 flow liners do not fit , they are too short. I have a pair of size 25 deeluxe Indy's that I used last year, they were too short and absolute hell on my feet so I took the plunge and purchased a pair of size 26 UPZ's . I think most of us are aware of the the different sizing standard. I was just wondering if anyone got different size liners than what the shell size is.

I found this earlier thread showing pics as I had shown. If you scroll down it shows the sole length of the boot which is the same as mine 266/287mm and a size 6 liner.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?30669-2010-Upz-Rc10

....so am I wrong to expect a size 6 liner without specifying different ??

thanks for reading !

I think most of us are aware of the the different sizing standard.

What sizing standard, and different from what?

The chart in the thread I linked to explains the situation. The UPZ markings 5.5/6/6.5 are UPZ's indication of shell size. The 266/287 mm is related to that. I'm told the larger one is the boot sole length if you have the DIN ski toe and heels on. The chart says that three liners go in this shell, a 5.5, a 6, and a 6.5. These numbers are a "Euro size" which appears, according to the chart, to be US size - 1. But US size is not widely used for hardshell boots. The chart also translates these "Euro" sizes to "cm", which I'd guess is the Mondo size. The chart says 24.8, 25.2, and 25.5 for the "cm" size of the 5.5, 6, 6.5 liners respectively. What exactly does 25.5 cm measure? Not sure. The next size up is a bigger shell with a 7 liner, and that translates to 26.0 cm. So if you really want 26.0 cm, whatever that is, you need the next shell.

But since you have the boots, I suggest once again to test the shells first. If they fit you're 90% there.

I have a pair of size 25 deeluxe Indy's that I used last year, they were too short and absolute hell on my feet

Did the 25 Deeluxe shells fit? Was it just that the liners were too think? Or were you getting toe bang, which can happen when the boot allows your foot to slide forward? What is your foot length in cm anyway? Measured while supported on appropriate footbeds? You can save yourself a lot of money, toernails, and time (in order of importance) if you're systematic about this.

I was just wondering if anyone got different size liners than what the shell size is.

There are multiple liners for a given shell, which was the point of my post. mbedle's post shows that it does occur in nature, not just on paper. I suppose what happens when you order a specific Mondo size is that Dan Yoja looks at the table and finds the appropriate shell and liner. That may be why he asks for a tracing of your foot. Did you send one?

By the way, the chart does not support the idea that 5.5/6/6.5 is short for 25.5/26/26.5. Nor that

if your mondo point is 25.25, you need to buy a 26 shell
. For mondo-sized shells, normally the size is the midpoint (26.5) or the lower limit (26.0) of the foot length it's designed for. So a 25.25 foot would normally call for a shell called 25, or 25.5. But UPZ doesn't really use mondo sizing, it appears. But it's pretty close. Edited by teach
details, details

I took the plunge and purchased a pair of size 26 UPZ's
....so am I wrong to expect a size 6 liner without specifying different ??

Probably. Some data: My 10/10.5/11 UPZs (324 mm sole) have a 10 liner in them, and fit about like mondo 29 boots do. I recently got some 8.5/9/9.5 boots (312 mm sole) to downsize -- these shells are the same interior length as my M28 Deeluxe Suzukas. They have (older) Flo liners marked 9 which are too small for me (in the sense that the interior length is too short -- my toes get curled badly by them -- and too thick, which makes it painful in the boot).

So a UPZ boot that's roughly M29 has Flo liner options 10/10.5/11. The 10 liner fits me fine, lots of toe room, and I wear a US 13 street shoe. A boot that's M28 fits liners 8.5/9/9.5 and the 9 is too small for me. It fits similarly to many ski boots called M28.5. Note that a Flo liner marked 8 liner would go in the next lower shell size, 299 mm, and a 9 doesn't go in the M29 -- rather, it's the middle option in the M28 size (312 mm).

Ordered size 25-25.5

Liner size: 5

lower shell size: 4/4.5/5 258/279mm

So... In your case.... Likely right shell size, wrong liner size. You probably need size 6 liner for mondo 26 foot. Possibly Dan has run out of size 6 liners?

I don't think the number 5 on the shell or liner has got to do with US or UK system. Mondo 25 would be more like US7 or UK6. And defnintely nothing to do with euro sizing.

So... Number 5 on my liner I think means 5 above 20 for mondo 25. So if you have stated 26 as your foot size, you'd expect size 6 (26-20=6) liner.

Your boot shell shows size measurements of 5.5/6/6.5. That would mean the boots accommodate sizes UPZ 5.5/6/6.5, US7.5-8.5, or mondo 25.5-26.5 liners. So it seems you received right size liner for your shell, but not for your feet. Will it matter? Don't know, but I'd say ask Dan if he can exchange the liners to size 6.

Edited by leeho730

I believe the liners that came with my UPZ were in the size "agonizing, debilitating foot pain for days". It was either that or size "turns your feet in to a block of ice within mere minutes" that or possibly "OMG WTF OW". Not sure which, but it was definitely one of those three. Maybe a half-size between.

Yes it happened to me. There were a couple of size liners (not as many as you might expect) available for the UPZ shell boot that I purchased. Dan sent me one that was at the smaller end of the range. They were too small for my feet. I biatched about it. He told me what he had available, and I sent the too small ones back, and he sent me some larger ones. It all worked out. Then a year or so later, I spent the $$$ and got custom insoles, and new liners (Zipfit), and now the Flow liners occupy closet space where they will probably reside until I decide to buy new boots, and sell them with the old shells.