Note to New Members ×

NASTAR National Snowboard rankings

lonbordin

Hey... I don't have to do this anymore! WaHOO!

Thanks NASTAR.

Overall mens.

http://skiracing.nastar.com/index.jsp?year=2014&source=selectrankings2&pagename=viewrankings&overallsnowboard=Y&male=Y

Overall womens.

http://skiracing.nastar.com/index.jsp?year=2014&source=selectrankings2&pagename=viewrankings&overallsnowboard=Y&female=Y

BTW... Some very impressive low handicaps being laid down... much more so than any previous year. Methinks someone needs to increase the gate offset at certain courses, just sayin'. :flamethro

Open offer- I'll pay anyone's lift ticket who can come to Paoli Peaks and run a single digit handicap on a snowboard... not gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Edited by lonbordin
need emoticons

There's a bug in the software.

Click the race record of the number 1 male snowboarder.

As I write this on 7th Jan 2014 in NZ, he has raced 1 day, the same results are recorded 3 times.

His final handicap is one third of his actual (platinum) race handicap.

Similar problem happened last year. On that occasion I e-mailed the folks at NASTAR and they rapidly fixed the problem.

You might want to do the same as I won't be in the US this year to race NASTAR :(

Edited by SunSurfer

I believe you can blame me, sort of, for the bug. Last year I noticed the national ranking handicaps were 3 times what they should have been, so I then alerted pat and he alerted nastar. Then bam, all other national handicaps, years past and overall, were 1/3 of what they should have been.

And Pat, Them be some low handicaps your layin' down, 6th overall out of 286:biggthump

And Pat, Them be some low handicaps your layin' down, 6th overall out of 286:biggthump

Thanks. I have an advantage because I set the course with stubbies, not ski gates. I'm REALLY liking my 178 SG board. And Okemo has been blessed with some Hero Snow the last couple of weekends. That gives me the confidence to really attack the course. On Sunday my pacesetting time on skis was only 1.3 seconds faster than my fastest board time.

189th Baby!!!! Only done one race this year and it was converted from Crescent points.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; border-top-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">[TR]

[TD=align: right]189 [/TD]

[TD]Paul Scrutton[/TD]

[TD]Durham, NC[/TD]

[TD=align: right]24.35

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Haha, I'm ahead of scrutton! 106!

Don't know if its me or the pacesetter, but my hcp was 12 points lower than my absolute lowest last year, both times I've raced this year. Either way, I like it!

Sorry to pour cold water on you guys but your spectacular handicaps are a website glitch. Read my original post above and compare your personal page raceday handicaps with those shown on the overall list.

Still not fixed as of 16 January.

Nice to see some other Bomber guys hitting the top end of list e.g. Jim Callen. But he doesn't seem to have convinced Angie to have a try. Now, we just need Fin to lean on Michelle! :)

Edited by SunSurfer

• 3 weeks later...
Pat, after watching you race at Nastar Regionals last week I will testify that your low handicaps are legit. I'm guessing that you're riding your best ever at age what? 65? 67? What's your secret?

Thanks!

I turn 68 later this year. I took a clinic from Lynn Ott last year and it really improved my riding. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Snowmass for the NASTAR Nationals in late March. My ski racing has really improved this year too. I got a new pair of Atomic Redsters and they're giving me the confidence to really attack the gates.

A while back I got a chance to chat with a guy who knows a thing or two about GS.

post-75-141842408506_thumb.jpg

And he's not going to tell us what he learned! Devious!

Happy to share it. She had us running drills where we reached down and physically tried to touch the outside edge of the board. For example, if I'm doing a hard heelside turn around a gate I'm trying to touch the outside edge of the board away from the gate. It makes sense. In ski racing I work hard to load up the downhill ski. Why not apply the same approach to racing on the board. See this shot of me at Steamboat. post-75-141842408819_thumb.jpg

Another thing I've been focusing on for both ski and board racing is staying low in transition and adopting a crossunder move pulling my knees up rather than standing up. It keeps the center of gravity low and it seems to transfer more energy and bite to the edge.

I don't know who this is but it's an example of reaching for the outside edge.

[ATTACH]37728[/ATTACH]

I started doing some NASTAR racing last year. My racing technique is a lot different than my freecarve technique. Lots of angulation, which Pat is doing reaching for the edge of your board.

What I'm doing now, of course the whole 'turn early' thing. Going into a turn I try to compress my body as much as I can into my board, bending my knees and trying to pushing my chest into my knees. This will flex your board, being short will allow you to get closer to the gate. No short gates for me. Then coming out of the turn you almost like trying to stand up, board will snap back straight and convert some of the energy into some added speed. Be looking for that next gate, ideally get a little air. While in the air, transition to your other edge and angle your board to setup for the next gate. Now when you land, you will need to start the process again, start bending your knees and compressing into your board or you will slide your edge. You may not get air on every transition, but you should feel very light on the snow.

At least this is how I explain it to myself, execution is the hard part, right?

What are your thoughts on NASTAR's new nationals qualifications for snowboard? The top TWENTY snowboards in EACH age and gender category at EVERY resort automatically qualify for nationals. With AIM now in control of NASTAR, are they trying to open it up to snowboarders more? It would be nice to see more that ~60 total boarders at nationals.

What are your thoughts on NASTAR's new nationals qualifications for snowboard? The top TWENTY snowboards in EACH age and gender category at EVERY resort automatically qualify for nationals. With AIM now in control of NASTAR, are they trying to open it up to snowboarders more? It would be nice to see more that ~60 total boarders at nationals.

It's like a party that everyone is invited to. Skier friends of mine are honored to receive an invite to NASTAR nationals, as it's a rare event for them, and they move the world to go. I've received an invite every year for NASTAR nationals, as I ride a snowboard so it's less special. Seems like NASTAR could be making some money at Nationals, with the $200 entry fee. I've only been once, but I had a fun time, as did most others seem to be having.