Note to New Members ×

Need tips for teaching an intermediate hardbooter

Biio-hazzard

I've been riding alpine boards for years but I've never gotten great at it. However, I have the unique opportunity to teach someone tomorrow. I had no warning that I'd get this assignment until 4pm today so I'm doing some homework tonight to make sure I have some value to share with my client for his 3-hour lesson tomorrow afternoon. If you guys wouldn't mind sharing a few tips that really helped you get over the "purgatory" intermediate stage, by all means, write me up some bullet points below. I imagine we'll be working a lot on stance and getting clean heelside turns without sticking our butts out all weird haha. If you could right down a few pointers, drills, analogies or concepts below before noon tomorrow 12/17 (Tuesday), that would the best Christmas gift this forum has ever given me! I'm a certified softboot instructor and I'm guessing my client has a background in both skiing and softboot snowboarding so maybe you can draw some comparisons to those for me. Thanks, Ian

Edited by Biio-hazzard

I am now sort of back at the intermediate level again thanks to riding a lot less than before, and also a lot less fit. From my old old racing days, I can sort of remember what I am supposed to do, but not quite able to do it consistently).

I'd say it will depend on the rider, but might include:

- ensure right stance in heelsides and toeside turns (this is like a foundation) on a non challenging non threatening slope - body positioning; hands, hips and shoulder alignment; degree of flex in the ankles and knees; amount of rotation in each turn (at this point probably better to go with encouraging some rotation Swiss style and eliminating the usual beginner issue of counter rotation)

- moving from beginner/intermediate steepness to slightly steeper slopes and maintaining technique and control to stay carving

- working on angulation (this is probably the biggest thing that separates out a beginner who leans, from an intermediate that has a nice more vertical body with a lot more angulation which enables the turn radius to tighten up while also maintaining more stability) and being more dynamic in turns

- working on carving turn radius variation (tighter turns, wider turns) at the same speed while maintaining good body position and control trying to use angulation

- working on weighting/unweighting using cross over cross under cross through (or push/pull) turns: if the rider knows 1 then teach the others, if they know none of them then try to teach 1 of these

That's a fair bit, not sure it would be all achievable in a lesson, but some ideas anyhow.

If all else fails, take them into the park, and teach them how to do a stinky tripe and onions.

Since you are already an instructor, use your skills that you already know. With most people, no matter what their equipment, it's about some "bad habits", form, or just being comfortable having someone to be there to take them to the next level - something they may not have thought about and doing exercises can help them to work on whatever it is they may not even realize they are doing. I would also try to take some video - if nothing else use your phone! Video analysis helps so much just to see what you are doing vs what you think you are doing!

And have fun! Hardbooters are always wanting to get better and improve that carve, which is not a bad day at work. :)