Note to New Members ×

UPZ users, I Dont want to make another Multihundred dollar mistake.

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buggs,

I'm in 287mm RC-10's, what everyone is saying are MP26/26.5 (I believe they are 24.8-25.5 according to UPZ's sizing chart). You gave them to me because they were too small for you.

My big foot measures the same as your small foot, and this is what I had to do to them to make them fit:

[ATTACH]31174[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31175[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking you need the next shell size up. (299mm 26.0-27.0 according to UPZ's sizing chart, 27-27.5 according to the chart in Hilux's post above)

http://www.frozen-backside.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=5830&h=2d136f2dfb12f310e7694be20faca70ae88b90f1

Edited by dingbat

Street: US 8 (260)

Actual size: US7 or 254

Width: D (100mm)

UPZ: 25, feels true to size. Narrowest heel area of all boots I have

Deeluxe 700/325: 25, feels half to one size too big

Raichle 123: 24, feels true to size, heel area still too big

Head HSP: 24, feels true to size, heel area narrower than Raichle but wider than UPZ 25.

UPZ boots seem to have smallest heel volume, smaller than Raichle/Head 24. In terms of sole length on the inside of the boot shell, UPZ 25 and Deeluxe 25 feel samey, i.e., one and half finger excess space.

Edited by leeho730

How many of you are using the stock liner. If not what liners are you using.

I used the stock liner for a few outings. I originally received my boots in October (couple years back) and wore them a couple times a week around the house until mid December to get the liner molded to my foot. I LOVED the liners at first. Amazing heal hold, snug fit, great flex *a note on flex, the stock liners will stiffen the boots considerably compared to some thermo's as the tongue has a plastic molded piece attached to it.

Long story short, the tongue on the liner can be positioned differently and held in place with vecro. I had severe bruise on the top of my foot where the ridge of the tongue dug in. I tried it again last year thinking originally it was "just a new boot" and had to get used to them, but the same thing happened again, lots of pain. The liners are great quality so this is really too bad.

Anywho, I switched to an old pair of Raichle Thermoflex (10+ years old) molded them, and boom, super comfy and got an amazing flex out of the boot albeit softer. This year got a pair of Palau's to try to stiffen them up a bit and remold as the Raichle's are on their last legs. FYI - I put a 28MP liner in the 27.5 shell and it works for me. Hope that helps!

I used my stock liners for several years. I am hoping to replace them this season. As mentioned they are good initially, tight heel hold. After a few seasons they did pack out, they come with velcro pads which did help tighten them up in the toe for another season though there isn't a way to tighten the heels up again. They do have a neoprene toe which I think makes them somewhat cold. I'm hoping some moldable liners will make them like new. I'm curious as someone mentioned moldable liners may soften the boot up. Have others found this to be the case? Anyone get the next stiffer tongues to compensate?

...I'm curious as someone mentioned moldable liners may soften the boot up. Have others found this to be the case? Anyone get the next stiffer tongues to compensate?

forrest: Perhaps I should have been more specific. The softness was a welcome effect for my 190ish lbs. They weren't mushy or uncontrollable but rather provided a nice flex characteristic especially with the higher cuff. The only reason I'm switching out is because they are old and aren't holding their mold as well. I don't really have many molds left in them. I've found they've been packing out quite a bit more in spots like the back of the cuff at the top of the shell. The Palau I picked up are stiffer but in the right spots it seems...for me anyway. I'll see what they feel like on the hill. They are the equivalent to these but mine have the black and grey scheme of the ones on the Palau website.

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Thermo-Flex-Liners-DEL-141_p_179.html

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/store/Deeluxe-141-Liner.html

http://www.palau-boutique.com/overlap-hard-ski-boot-liners-palau,us,4,PAL-OVHARD.cfm

Buggs: got your PM and responded

Edited by Hilux

How many of you are using the stock liner. If not what liners are you using.

Used it for a season. Quite painful, but the boot itself is way better then my previous oversized deeluxes.

I got a 290mm feet, got a 9.5 = M28. After I sold a liner, I bought a Intuition PowerWrap 28.5 and molded it. Now it seems to be allright, but I havene ridden it yet.

I use Zipfit Gara 24.5 (http://www.zipfit.com/gara.html) on UPZ 25-25.5. UPZ boots have some seriously low heel volume and that's why it works better than Deeluxe boots for some with TF or Intuition liners. With Deeluxe boots, I recon injection moulded liners plus downsizing are the best solutions to get a really good heel hold. For example on Raichle 123 size 24 I had to get FOUR foam injections on Grand prix 24.5 liners (http://www.zipfit.com/granprix.html) that already had 20% more foam than Gara 24.5. Bugger...

Also I agree that stock FLO liners make toes feel cold, are stiffer than other liners, and are of good quality.

Edited by leeho730

I'm using the stock liners, but I've only had the boots for a few months, and I've had them out 4 days now. I got some boot gloves as I read they were cold, and they are cold. Are the Palau's as stiff as the Flo's?

Johnny, so far from what I can tell the Flo's are still stiffer then the Palau's I have. I've only flexed them (Palau) trying them on around the house but the plastic in the Flo's really seem to provide that rigid feel where the Palau's are stiff but more forgiving as it is only material thickness and density giving it the flex characteristic. Keep in mind you can get varying stiffnesses of thermo-moldable liners be it Deeluxe/Palau, Intuition etc.

There is really useful UPZ boot size chart on russian board, I believe pokkis already told about that. You're probably need to learn russian or post your feet length for a perfect sizing idea.

I've folowed it and I'm pretty happy with the result. FLO liner wasn't really comfy, but I got a max size for a shell and I'm now using it with a Intuition liner.

2ihuv02.jpg

First indication, 27 is the right size. I have a spur like a marble on my ankle that might make me have to get Thermo liners. but Im gonna try the stocks first.

Good luck, but you're 0 - 1 behind: wrong color, green is the fastest color :biggthump

A few points having gone down the path of buying the wrong size UPZ boot, and then the right size, and then having footbeds/new liners installed.

a. shell test the boots (google it if you don't know what this means). That should help you identify if you are way off base in your size selection.

b. Footbeds will marginally shorten the length of your feet due to the arch forced into your feet (at least the way it is done in the shop where I had mine done). Footbeds help a lot in stabilizing your feet in the boot.

c. I went with Zipfit liners. They are more comfy than the stock. They are also more of a pain to deal with than stock. My feet do not slide into them easily while they are in the shells. The cork lining moves around making it nigh impossible to get into them with the liners in the boots (I've tried heel sliding devices and unlocking the rear of the boot). The easiest way to fix this is to remove the liners, put liners onto feet, then put liners+feet into boots.

d. When I had the liners installed /footbeds made, at the start of the fitting, the owner of the store was pretty convinced my shells were too big. By the end of the fitting, he thought they were OK. The rear heel space on these boots is quite a bit less than ski-boots I guess.

Hans, you gotta rub it in:cool: I wanted the green but they were out of 27s. I put my foot beds in and tried the right boot, foot/ankle I have the most issues with, only the2nd time testing them in the house today and Im impressed with the fit and stock liners so far. Will do a couple more walk arounds and carpet surf in the house over the next few days. With all the $$ I have thrown into boots since 1998, different shells from 121s,224s,325s,600s,700s, to small UPZs, custom liners, footbeds, heaters, Booster straps, BTS, its a bit ironic that I may have found a boot that all I have to do is buckle and Go. I will update Saturday as I hope to be on snow by 10 am at the Beast. Fingers crossed but Im quite optimistic at this point.:biggthump

Good luck. Glad they feel like they fit better - they're definitely good boots especially for people with narrower feet and calves.

I've just replaced the Flo's in my UPZ's (three seasons of use) with a set of Black Diamond Efficients that I scored cheap on Canadian Cartel. So far, I'm very impressed. They're BOA system, so I can slide my foot in, crank the BOA to set everything right, and then buckle the boot up. The BOA winders sit nicely right above the top of the boot - perfect placement.

They're tongue liners, not wraps - I tried 2 sets of wraps and they made the boots so stiff it felt like my feet were nailed down. I was specifically looking for a set of soft tongue liners and these fit the bill exactly. They have a really nice heel hold system in the back, with a set of shaped ridges down the back of the boot, and a high arched footbed - just the ticket for my super skinny feet and lower legs.

I just finished my fourth day in them and I'm very happy. As they're still very, very tight I've been riding with the two lower buckles on the boot completely undone, and my feet don't even move in the boots. And a bonus is that they're half the weight of the Flo's, so the boots have gone from heavy clunkers to much more svelte, good for hiking and hanging off the chair.

Just throwing another option into the mix should anyone be looking for something soft - they're not cheap retail (about $190, ouch) but I paid $65 for mine brand new off Canadian Cartel, and they may come up other places.

Edited by Allee