Note to New Members ×

Trouble with toe side, need advice

bueller213

I new to hardboots and took my setup to the slope for the first time yesterday. I've carved with softboots for a couple of years and thought the transition to hardboot shouldn't be too bad. Boy was I wrong! It was very difficult for me to transition from heel to toe. When I do manage to get to my toe side, I don't have any control at all, which led me to brake or take a fall. My legs was worn out after two runs! Not sure if this is make any difference but the condition was icy. I know its only the first day, but I need to improve and any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Here is my setup:

-165 Coiler VSR AMT 10.5 sidecut 19.5 width

-TD3 SW SI - 55,55 angles with no hangover.

-Track 225 boots

Could be any number of things. Video would be a huge help here. In the mean time, I'd suggest lowering your rear binding angle a bit. Some overhang shouldn't be much problem at this stage in the game and it will give you better feel and control when pressuring the edge. Also, don't let your ego keep pushing you to more difficult terrain. Spend some time (not just a couple runs) working on wide, flat, bunny hill type terrain.

Have you seen these?

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/norm_part1.html

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/norm_part2.html

These helped me a lot when starting! You need to learn to walk before you can run. Spend some time on a green run and get used to the equipment. Also make sure your hips and shoulders point the same direction as your toes. I had to try to point them at the nose of the board to get there to burn off previous softboot habits.

Snow conditions are everything, especially if you are new to hardboots. I was carving heel and toe on soft and then went to hard thinking ok, should be some work, but not that bad, think again. It was like starting all over again, I did 70/70 and stuck to it. I eventually got it and have not looked back once. Do not think you are going to sew up the whole run. Get on a green and find the good wide easy spots and just crank it over, try a heel , then try a toe, then try linking heel to toe, then toe to heel. add some more turns , and after a while, few weeks, you will be doing the whole run. build a foundation of skill levels, one turn at a time.

Generally, heel is better with beginners, because heel is more bone frame work(less muscle), in toe turns more muscles are used and you have to train the muscles and your mind in how to control them. Next year toe will be better, then heal, then toe, and so on.It goes back and forth for many years.

And always remember that every one out there, no matter how good they are or look all started where you are right now, the beginning. Thinking back, I had more fun learning this sport, in a way, than I do now, sort of. And a word of caution, watch out for that downhill edge, always completely commit to the turn. good luck , R

What they said. If it really was ice, that's hard for everybody. If it's really icy you will probably find no one out at all on any gear. I can't help with that particular transition as I had to do it the other way. It is different, but it's like learning, except you learn quicker because you already have the balance and the basic idea. Those angles are steeper than I use; I'd not go steeper than that, and as suggested you may find it easier to back them off for a while. You're not going to get so cranked over to get drag, or if you do, you can fix it then.

No control on toe side... I'm trying to think how that could be. Where's your weight? I'm trying to remember how I control things when turning there... just pressure the edge more for tighter turns... it can't be that easy though.

If you can find some other hard boot riders were you are that would help a lot, as they could easily see what you're doing. It is worth sticking with it..

I would lower your agles. 50/45. I would help you on toe but hurts a bit heel side. Softer conditions will help tremendously.

Last one will be controversial here on forum. Try to un lock your boots or set forward lean to different position.

Meet me at Mammoth over Christmas.

It could be number of things...

Are your bindings set flat? - Add some heel lift in the rear.

Are bindings set with some bias towards the heel side? - Center them, or slight bias to toe side.

Is the stance set too far back? - Center, or slight nose bias.

Is the stance too wide or too narrow? - Carpet carving for 10-20 min should tell.

Other then that, as others said, maybe back the angles just a bit and maybe some splay? Like 50f/45r?

Last but not least, conditions and technique... Transition to toe side is in general harder while learning, soft or hard boots. It's from our natural tendency to look down hill. Look where you want to go. Plus on icy, the things get even more scary, it could easily be that you were in a bit of "back seat", which is a natural reaction, but exactly opposite of what needs to be done on hard snow.

Summary: Check/adjust the setup, then back to green run and good snow.

Bueler, one thing I would recommend is hooking up with some local carvers to look at and assess your technique and set up. If you ride Mtn High you migh want to give Slopestar or George S a private message. If you ride at BBL. myself or Terryw might be able to lend some tips

The guys I mentioned are all accomished carvers, Slopestar rides softies but he can rip. Let us know by posting on the ride board when and where you're going

• 4 weeks later...