Note to New Members ×

Race Helmet for Rec Carving?

scrapster

Hi All,

Looking forward to the new season! I was thinking of getting a race-type helmet with full coverage to go along with my shortie this winter. Just curious, if you're not actually racing, does a race helmet still need that super-snug race fit to work correctly?

I only measure 56cm, but tried on a surprisingly comfy Uvex Wing in a Large that fit very much like my normal recreational helmets--no real wiggle front to back--even thought it's supposed to be 59-60. Didn't have a medium for me to try, but I could grab either online. Tnx!

Dunno if it needs a super snug fit - after all, you're going to be wearing it all day, not just for a race, so it should at least be comfortable.

I love race helmets. I had a Giro Talon for three seasons, and I've had a Streif since last year. They're super light, comfortable, and warm. The only downside is if you sweat a lot through your head, they might not be ideal (the Streif has no vents, the Talon had removable ones). The Talon took three or four solid hits, including in the half pipe, before I retired it, and it always did a good job of protecting my head.

If it fits well and you like it, I don't see a downside.

Edited by Allee

I really like em. I have Carrera Bullets, Fireballs, Poc whatever they're version is called (Skull maybe?), and Uvex's.

Very warm, never had an issue with having a cold head wearing any them at any temp. fit super snug, don't move around on your head etc.

A guy could maybe argue not having the hearing you have with a soft sided version but I'm hard of hearing anyway. I SMOKED my head last year at panorama and I was fine.

Love em. I have a really average size coconut and I wear the large in the Wing Pro, ALL the bicycle helmets I own are med. Same in Carrera, size large, Poc sizes differently depending on the model. In one version, they have two sizes (the carbon one), In the version down I think they do 3 or 4 sizes max and the basic one they do like 5 or six sizes as I recall.

The Uvex helmet fits me great. I think you're really like it.

And FWIW, I think the look cool too!

My $0.02

K

I use POC Cortex DH MIPS and Giro Remedy S... My head measures 57cm and has been using medium (55-57) and is ok to use all day long...

The helmet needs to fit reasonably tight yet comfortable but it depends on the shape of helmet and the head, much like relationship between our feet and boot shell/liner...

According to the rule/book your head I recon might be better suited to medium size... But what can I say in real life things hardly occur according to the book...

So if you like large size and they feel comfy, go for it!

I also use a helmet (Cébé in my case) where the plastic goes over the ears. However: I have no use for freeride-style helmets with soft ear covers. To me, they always feel like I'm wearing a salad bowl. The full cover gives a much better fit. Go for the size that feels comfortable, because if it doesn't, you will hate wearing it.

Edited by Aracan

I posted here for advice last season and wound up with a Giro Talon -- at Allee's recommendation -- and am very happy with it. I've never been uncomfortable in it, and I think I still have the vent plugs in. That's even in 60 degree spring riding, when even my hands are uncomfortably hot.

You do need to get one that's not just your size, but your shape, unless it comes with lots of adjusting pads. Snug is definitely better.

Thanks everybody! Decided to go back to the local shop and try on the Uvex again after doing more research. Definitely too big. (I really hate that shop, btw. Typical, "Well we have one that we're trying to sell, so I'm sure it will work for you!" type of establishment. So I don't mind buying online over local in this case.) Ordered the medium--in fluorescent orange :p

I coach a high school race team. Constantly in my race helmet all day long, whether racing, practicing, or just standing on the hill watching kids do turns. I find the race helmet very comfortable in virtually all conditions. I only take it off when it is 40 degrees and full sun in our northern California sunny days. currently I wear a custom painted POC DH, but have previously also been very comfortable in a Boeri helmet.

Personally, I find they are much like my cowboy hats - need to find the right length to width ratio in order to have a comfortable, all day long fit. Try out several brands to find out who has the best fit for you. When you find the best fit for you, you will forget you even have it on your head.