Note to New Members ×

Madd 170 - Angles, Stance & Lift

Rob-CanCarve

Hey Guys:

Finally got out on my Madd 170 on Saturday - interesting ride.

Comparing it to my Coiler 184 PR it is a very different board, still absolutely love the Coiler, but it felt like a freight train running down the hill compared to the Madd.

Because I was unable to make it to the States for Gilmore's set-up session, I was wondering what stance, angles and lift everyone is running on theirs.

Found my toe sides really strong, but was washing out my heel sides.

Any advice, recommendations and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Rob

I measured the insert pattern relative to the running length, and it appears that the middle inserts are set back about 5cm - can anyone confirm? That seems like a lot. My Donek was centered, my old FPs had 1.5 to 2.5cm of setback.

Saturday I got my first day on the board, and I started in the middle inserts. Each set of inserts is a basic "8-pack" which provides 3 possible positions. Using the same sets of inserts on each foot (forward/forward, middle/middle, rearward/rearward) results in a 19.25" stance width by my tape measure. How convenient, my usual width!

Not wanting a 5cm setback, I used the holes in the TD2s that shift the binding forward, so I think this resulted in about 3.5cm of setback. I felt like this was still a bit too far back, so I switched to the forward inserts on the board, and the holes in the bindings that shift the bindings back. I think this resulted in about 1.5cm of setback and that felt just right. Heelsides felt better after doing that.

Also I believe the "forward loaded camber" really likes to have your weight forward at the beginning of the carve.

Jack, curious to know if you are using the same cant/lift on your Madd as you did on your Donek. I'll start out on the forward inserts just like you did. I use 19.25" width straight-up center on my Axis, sounds like we are starting from the same place except the fact that I like a 0* disc in front.

Center inserts front and back, ~55 rear/~58 front, 19.25" (like many others out there), 3 deg lift on front, 3 deg. cant on rear (TD2). After about 8 days on this deck in a variety of conditions, this just feels GOOD.

No alpine deck today though - steep and knee deep, with some tree dodgin' thrown in there too!

Originally posted by Mike T

Jack, curious to know if you are using the same cant/lift on your Madd as you did on your Donek. I'll start out on the forward inserts just like you did. I use 19.25" width straight-up center on my Axis, sounds like we are starting from the same place except the fact that I like a 0* disc in front.

Yup, 3 front and back. My stance angles are 65 front and back. My cant disc angles are 85 front, 55 back. Get it? This was the same on my Donek. Feels right to me.