Note to New Members ×

! Dick Spector, 86.5 years old passed away Friday June 7, 2013. likely Oldest carver?

phillipsbro1

post-1681-141842393663_thumb.jpg

Dick Spector age 78.5 years, Aspen Mtn. Feb 2005

If you have been to Buttermilk on any given consecutive year for the past 15 or more years, you have seen Dick Spector (with poles) carving. Dick died yesterday of brain cancer, being diagnosed shortly after his return from Aspen in January 2013, while he was 86 years old.

Dick was at the 1st carving session, the 1999 Pure Carve Expression Session, when he was 73 years old. He learned to snowboard at 60 years old, and was our response to everyone who said "That looks like fun, but I'm too old to learn". He went to Aspen/Buttermilk (usually staying at the Ledingham's Snow Queen) 2 or 3 times each year. After reading, hardboot snowboarding was his favorite passion/activity. He was also an avid windsurfer, and took up skateboarding in his 80's to maintain his balance ("right foot, then left foot"). In his middle years, Dick was an avid handball player. Dick was a probate lawyer, with active files still on his desk, putting on his suit to go to court. "I'm trying to retire soon...."

Dick picked me up on my visit to Chicago in his full size van a few years back. My carry-on bag could hardly fit....the van had two front seats, sun glasses hanging from the rear view mirror, and the rear was chest high in windsurfing boards, sailbags and masts sticking up front between the two front seats...you've seen the type. But he has told me repeatedly, that carving is his all time favorite love (in sport).

Upon starting any conversation with me, he would always ask "First, and most important, how is xxxx?" naming each of my family members from my kids all the way up to my grandmother. So, if I ask about your family in such a way, I learned it from Dick.

Upon asking for his sage advice for me, Dick said "Take care of your body - eat well and keep moving". Dick lived on the 14th floor (pretty sure) of his condo building on North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago. He would take the stairs once or twice a day, two at time, reciting poetry all the way up, then take the elevator up for another lap. He went to the gym 2-4 times per week. He hated going, but knew it was good for him.

Dick was Santa Claus (secretly) to our kids and would call each year out of the blue (reading from my email naughty and nice notes on each of my kids). It was awesome to see the wonder of kids talking to Santa over the phone. One day, I will relish telling them that he is listed as "Santa Claus" in my cell phone (as my son started to be able to read - I had to change Dick's listing when "Santa's calling!!!" "Hi Santa!......")

And, Dick was of the "The Greatest Generation". Here is a guy who fought humbly in WWII (notably all 34 days on Iwo Jima as an 18yo Marine). After watching "Sands of Iwo Jima" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" or any other documentary, I would call Dick and ask his opinion. He would say no movie can convey the inescapable stench in your nose and the flies everywhere. He drove in a Jeep off of a landing craft onto the beach. He and his friend in the Jeep kept arguing whether they would turn left or right when they got to the Jeep, as one of them would be directly exposed to enemy fire. I don't remember which way they turned. 6,821 Americans died.

Dick has a daughter, Michelle, a veterinarian in Seattle WA.

Photos of Dick are around our house, and I am glad my kids have met him, and know him through me.....

So, thanks Dick. God Bless. We are so, so fortunate to know you! Your story and legacy will live on with us!

Funeral Services

Monday Jun 10, 2013

10:30am

Piser Funeral Services, 9200 North Skokie Blvd, Skokie, IL 60077

Noon graveside services.

Christian and I are going to the services.

Scott Phillips

Cazenovia NY

post-1681-141842393646_thumb.jpg

post-1681-14184239366_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipsbro1

Very saddened to read this...:( So many years at Milk and Always in Tune :) really not aware of anyone riding there with more Stoke than this wonderful positive human being...and his Smile was his Style :) Carve the Stars Dick...Aloha Nui Loa and Mahalo

All the Best to his Family and Friends for this is a great loss to those left behind

Sorry to hear about the loss of another alpine legend. Dick sounds like someone we all should strive to be more like. Kind, happy, passionate. Rest in peace Dick. Thank you for such a wonderful write up with photos. Your words reflect the effect Dick had on his friends and family. Bryan

I live here in Aspen and was at Milk the minute they opened the Mountain to Snowboards...I would say we met the first or second year he showed up at Milk...we talked a couple of times about our stoke for carving. I normally do not stop on my runs at milk so after that it was a smile and a wave a couple times a day when he was there...He had his own Style like I said and he Loved Carving, that I could Feel. To be that Old and Stoked, he was truly a Mentor for us All...:) next season I will very much miss his presence...

We at Bomber, are very sad to hear this news. Dick has been a fixture at the Session for quite some time now. Will not seem the same without him.

Dick was very soft spoken but made his statement with his presence. Just the fact he would show up and ride was something a guy half his age would always come up with reasons not too.

When we had legal issues with F2 many years ago he was very helpful and supportive during that. His calls and support made those times easier.

And of course, we need to thank him for his gift he gave all of us by serving in WW2. Last of a great generation.

Thanks again Dick and ride that never ending groomer for all of us....

(Dick (right) at SES)

post-1-141842393714_thumb.jpg

Sad News as Dick will be missed by so many, but a life well lived indeed! I know his life was not without some very unpleasent events, yet he kept his faith and his dignity. I met Dick at my first SES and found him a straight up unpretentious inspiration for living. I watched him put the moves on a few young lady Jibbers, as a Gentleman, which was priceless. I rode with him, got no complaints.

Godspeed and Thank you Marine!

My heart dropped when I read this. Every year Fin and I hope that Dick will show up to the SES, as we are big fans of his presence. What a fantastic and interesting guy!! And as Al said "I watched him put the moves on a few young lady Jibbers, as a Gentleman", I guess the proof is in the photos. You will be missed Dick!

post-49-141842394118_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was sad news! First time I saw Dick ride he was charging down the pipeline section in Buttermilk. Carving low! As he came closer I saw that he was riding with poles. So someone told me he was almost 80. Couldn´t belivie it - the way he was riding he looked like a much younger person. Since then Dick's been a role model so to speake. To be able to keep on riding well over the 80's and still doing it with style. That takes a very special sort of guy. Rest in peace Dick. Gonna miss you in Milkland!

• 1 month later...