Note to New Members ×

REAL Surf Style Carving

Ian M

Da-yum! Not often you see someone have to put the brakes on that hard at the end of a pond skim.

Nice work!:biggthump

Thanks Mark! Maybe I should post the first run too, I came in so hot I actually speed checked on the water before popping onto the snow :-P

So fun!

Did you even get wet?

Not really! My back leg got a little splashed from the knee down, but that was it. The majority of the crowd has learned how not to get sprayed - watch from the deck 50' uphill! They weren't shown in the video, but about 200 people were watching from a safe distance :-P

You'd think someone standing a few feet from the end of a runout, protected by one layer of light fencing from whatever makes it across the pond, would at least face the action.. I suppose most riders who make it across are competent enough to stop before taking out the kid or the guy in the gray jacket along with the fence, but I still wouldn't stand there.

We used to do the pond skimming thing on a natural tarn next to the Austin Pass ropetow at Mt. Baker, usually starting in mid-to-late June. It's amazing what lousy waterskis cambered K2 Comps are, and it's equally amazing how sticky and slow spring snow can get as you approach the water table! Lots of fun, but I have established to my absolute satisfaction that skiing in cutoffs and no shirt when one's natural skin pigmentation is still hibernating is not wise.

The Washington State Patrol eventually decided that letting small hordes of young, inexperienced but entheusiastic and tired drinkers get toasted in several senses then drive down a switchbacked mountain highway (even with 10' snowbanks) was not all that wise either, and shut down the Slush Cup.